FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Ideas to fight crime-post suggestions here (remarks new topi

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Please add any and all ideas. If you wish to discuss something. Please start a new post. Let's try to keep this as an ideas only thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where have all the hot goods gone .The role of pawn shops.
The markets for stolen goods pawn shop act as incentive the burglary.
See:
http://jrc.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/41/2/156.pdf

[ Found by a google scholar search key words: policed pawn shops]

Summary: Terry Bankert 12/28/05

1. The pawning of stolen property is a significant issue.
A. Pawn brokers are omnipresent offering thieves an easy way to dispose of stolen goods, especially goods with no markings.
B. Many people who pawn have significant arrest records.
C. There are many criminals that rely on pawn shops as outlet for stolen goods.
D. If a small percentage of the goods pawned were stolen this number would be a huge percentage of stolen property reported.
2. It is difficult to intentionally disrupt the market for stolen goods.
A. Enforcement of pawn shop regulations is too perfunctory to interfere with receipts and disposal of stolen goods.
B. W here the enforcement is effective it displaces the thieves to a different stolen commodity.[i.e] Precious metals, antiques, [ aluminum siding], flea markets
C. Most stolen goods are not identifiable as such. Most households do mot mark goods or record serial numbers.
D. The cost of recording each stolen item is too great for local government.
E. We must lower the cost of marking, recording serial numbers and
F. We cannot know what is stolen and what is not without greater police resources.
[cost of police tracking stolen item lists against pawn shop records.]
3. The most effective thing we can do is monitor pawn shop records.
A. Monitor suspicious pawners and goods
B. strengthen our pawn details
C. speedier transfer of pawn shop records to police computers.
D. Most police units that monitor pawn shops are under funded and under staffed.
E. Decision makers do not recognize the value of monitoring pawn shops and the pawn shops do not cooperate.
F. Police units are usually behind on data collection.
G. We will have immediate benefits if monitoring activities were increased.
H. The pawn brokers actively obstruct police monitoring.
4. A departmental officer exchange program. Say sending a few officers from Flint to Amherst NY and have a few of their officers come work here? Not just Amherst, but other departments with much lower crime rates to see how they do it.
5. Flint citizens would be more than happy to help set up remote video of locations that experience regular graffiti. How about the city coughing up a few thousand dollars on some surveillance equipment, that watches these areas. Then once we've got them on tape. Prosecute them. This would possibly work with aluminum siding thieves also. It takes only a few weeks to strip a house. So once it starts. The equipment could be set up and then just wait until you see it has lost more siding.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Oops I copied the wrong one. Here is the newest list.

1.**Civilian Volunteers:
***A. Review of reports:
******i. Review Home Invasion or break ins.
******ii. Check items stolen against pawn ship reports.
******iii. Look for patterns.
*********a. Type of items stolen
*********b. Times of break ins
*********q. Address/ map the area
***B. Reports to Police Chief:
******i. Follow-ups
******ii. Officer action
******iii. Reports progress
***C. Liaison to community:
******i. Can under direction of Officer Keep victim informed of progress.
******ii. Report to Council or a board
******iii. Make suggestions
***D. Liaison to Ombudsman
2. Community group with experts from major cities that have lowered their own crime rates.
***A. If it worked for New York. It can work here.
3. Petition Federal and State agencies for Funding for Police officers and jails.
4. COMPSTAT: Updated computer management program for better tracking:
***A. “..police action can effect crime and public safety.”
5. Pawnshops
***A. The pawning of stolen property is a significant issue.
******i. Pawn brokers are omnipresent offering thieves an easy way to dispose of stolen goods, especially goods with no markings.
******ii. Many people who pawn have significant arrest records.
******iii. There are many criminals that rely on pawn shops as outlet for stolen goods.
******iv. If a small percentage of the goods pawned were stolen this number would be a huge percentage of stolen property reported.
***B. It is difficult to intentionally disrupt the market for stolen goods.
******i. Enforcement of pawn shop regulations is too perfunctory to interfere with receipts and disposal of stolen goods.
******ii. W here the enforcement is effective it displaces the thieves to a different stolen commodity. [i.e] Precious metals, antiques, [ aluminum siding], flea markets
******iii. Most stolen goods are not identifiable as such. Most households do mot mark goods or record serial numbers.
******iv. The cost of recording each stolen item is too great for local government.
******v. We must lower the cost of marking, recording serial numbers and
******vi. We cannot know what is stolen and what is not without greater police resources.
[cost of police tracking stolen item lists against pawn shop records.]
***A. The most effective thing we can do is monitor pawn shop records.
******i. Monitor suspicious pawners and goods
******ii. strengthen our pawn details
******iii. speedier transfer of pawn shop records to police computers.
******iv. Most police units that monitor pawn shops are under funded and under staffed.
******v. Decision makers do not recognize the value of monitoring pawn shops and the pawn shops do not cooperate.
******vi. Police units are usually behind on data collection.
******vii. We will have immediate benefits if monitoring activities were increased.
******viii. The pawn brokers actively obstruct police monitoring.
4. A departmental officer exchange program. Say sending a few officers from Flint to Amherst NY and have a few of their officers come work here? Not just Amherst, but other departments with much lower crime rates to see how they do it.
5. Flint citizens would be more than happy to help set up remote video of locations that experience regular graffiti. How about the city coughing up a few thousand dollars on some surveillance equipment, that watches these areas. Then once we've got them on tape. Prosecute them. This would possibly work with aluminum siding thieves also. It takes only a few weeks to strip a house. So once it starts. The equipment could be set up and then just wait until you see it has lost more siding.

ACTION
Question the staffing and policy of the department that monitors pawnshops. Question the budget priorities arguing for greater funding of these police units. Advocate policy that would allow Flint Citizen volunteers to assist the police in date collection. Advocate for public reporting and police accountability.

Attempt to solve all crimes, not just the ones the Flint Police feel are worth solving. Murder vs Car theft, Drugs vs Home break-ins. Treat them all as priority. If we need more detectives HIRE THEM!!

There is already a great pawnshop reporting system in use in both Lansing & Mount Pleasant. Numerous communities across Michigan are rewriting their local ordinances to compel pawnshops to report their transactions electronically. www.bwiusa.com

Note. For general use in developing a data base for others to advocate public policies this outline format is a start. We should cite the primary source, I suggest we work off of internet documents when possible. We should explain how we found the source, ie google search words.

Ref: Where have all the hot goods gone .The role of pawn shops.
The markets for stolen goods pawn shop act as incentive the burglary.
See:
http://jrc.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/41/2/156.pdf
[ Found by a google scholar search key words: policed pawn shops]
Summary: Terry Bankert 12/28/05
Summary: Ted Jankowski 01/17/06

Note: When I went to that link before I was able to read it. I didn’t save it and wanted to copy some of the data. How do I get back into it. I tried the link and it didn’t let me view the whole thing this time. I don’t have 500.00 plus to join. LOL

Please add some more.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

How about a fully functional police force that actually investigates crimes such as murders and other violent and non violent crimes.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:41 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Here is one I forgot about.
Camera in Police Vechiles. Just like the dpartments on TV. This could help to document crime scenes and also pick up crime in progess if it is positioned correctly. how many times do crimes happen right in front of the police car.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:49 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

We should be able to have the first response "officer on the scene be abe to start investigation. Ie, qualified to take finger prints, able to knock on neighbor's doors and ask questions. They should also be able to follow up on leads. I know that they sort of already do that. But, the information get's filed and never seems to get used. There has got to be a way to get better accountability from officer on the scene to the investigator. Thus if the investigator puts it on the back burner. The patrol officer "who is on the front line" should be able to pick up the ball and run with it.

Back to Pawn Shops.
If a report is filed on a break in. Patrol officers in areas that have Pawnshops, should be required to stop in every two to three days. with a copy of the last weeks home invasions and be able to ask or look over items pawned.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:59 pm 
Adam

Ted,

To follow-up on what you said why can't we have every officer authorized to investigate complaints? If we only have a detective bureau to investigate complaints lets think about this. We probably have about 1 or 2 detectives for every 10 patrol officers. Which is harder though? to take a complaint or investigate the complaint? Potentially each detective could theoretically get 100 complaints to investigate per day! The other issue is without an immediate investigation the detectives job should be even harder and take even more time. Recently ABC 12 had a story about how overwhelmed Saginaw detectives are and they can not even investigate murders. Isn't that what's happening in Flint? Instead of having 5 or 10 officers per detective we should probably have a more even ratio of 1 to 1 or have every officer authorized to investigate complaints.

Adam Ford
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:44 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Yep, that right along with my thinking also. I don't understand why the investigation doesn't begin with the complaint. BY INVESTIGATION I mean. Immediately, be able to interview and find witnesses. Go door to door, Take finger prints, gather evidence. I don't understand why when other patrol officers gather information on a case and turn it over to the Detective, nothing ever comes of it. Why did the officer waste their time with a witness driving all over the eastside, pointing out where evidence was dumped, and where Stolen Guns were being kept. And then nothing comes of it.

I personally believe, that the officer should be able to take the initiative to present the evidence to a detective and immediately be able to take that information to the next level, to get a search warrant and back up. Then execute the warrant was soon as it's approved. If investigators are over worked. Someone needs to be able to do something for the victims. I’m not talking the heavy stuff.

If a officer is in a pawn shop checking out a list of items recently stolen and crossing it with the paw shop records. Then finds a match of a few items on the list with the same persons name associated with many of the same items. That officer should be able to. Do a back ground check, Most Pawnshop customers already have records a mile long. If the person pawning the items lives within a six block radius of the crime scene (which most home invasions the suspect lives close by, that’s how they know when they can make their move). That officer should have enough evidence to warrant at least stopping by and interviewing the suspect. Oh Did I say Suspect. Yes, that person would be a prime suspect. That officer has just solved the case. And it wasn’t too hard to do. It didn’t take up probably more than a few hours to gather that information. If police did an investigation of the house. They should have some finger prints from the robbery. If the guy has a record. He should have prints on file. This is not rocket science. It is common sense.

There is a pattern to crime.
**Steal something
**Try to get money for it
Steal again.
****The pattern must be broken or it will eventually become
Steal something
**Found weapon
**Other property
Use weapon
**try to get money for other stuff.

I’m over simplifying it. But essentially, this is it.
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:20 pm 
Adam

This is an example of the kind of police work Flint needs.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=4184895

If Flint police functioned like this I think we would be in very good shape.

GRAND BLANC TOWNSHIP (WJRT) - (05/18/06)--What started as a call to police to check up on a missing man quickly turned into a murder investigation.

Police in Grand Blanc Township made the discovery Wednesday afternoon on Reid road near I-475. Now they have a man locked up who they think is responsible.

The man who was found dead is 49-year-old Marty Warren. Police say they have a 22-year-old man in custody who is also from the Grand Blanc area.

The investigation continued Thursday afternoon.

Police took an SUV into their garage. They say it was the vehicle used to drive the suspect away from the crime scene.

It all started Wednesday when police found the man dead inside his home after one of his co-workers called them.

Investigators worked through the night trying to find the person responsible. Capt. Jude Rariden says it was important to work the case right away.

The coroner has officially ruled this a murder. Rariden says he plans to send the case over to the prosecutor's office sometime Friday.

The man could be charged as early as Friday afternoon.
Post Sat May 20, 2006 2:30 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: