FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Questions for Davison's New Mayor!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

November 29, 2007

Mr. Mayor;

I have a few questions, and I hope you don't mind I'm sharing them with the council members and other city officials because we all need to consider them.

1) Why did you refer the owner of the tattoo parlor, with her concerns that the Karate Studio is "using too many parking spaces" to the DDA? I just got back into town last night, and was unable to attend the DDA meeting. What did you expect the DDA to do? I understand your desire to respectfully hear out the concerns of all who come to city meetings, especially on your first night, but does the city really have a role in this "problem"? What exactly, is the "problem" here? I read a copy of the letter the tattoo parlor wrote, and heard all about the meeting. It looks like one business is just simply more successful than another. I certainly hope you're not entertaining any notions this person has of asking a successful business to leave downtown in order to save parking spaces.

Perhaps you should encourage the tattoo parlor owner, as well as the other business owners who believe that high traffic events (parades, car cruises, as well as karate classes) are an opportunity to educate potential customers about the existence of their businesses. I'm sure some of the karate students' dads that are sitting there waiting for class to end might be surprised to know that Davison has a tattoo parlor. I for one, only found out they were there last summer while taking my kids to the movies. The movie was boring, so I was going to go over and have my wife's name tattooed on my (ahem) arm, but they were closed.

2) Why don't you publicize your e-mail address so people can ask you questions. It seems the natural step for a mayor who campaigned on better communication with his constituents. It is so much easier than a phone call. It allows me to ask a lot of questions and gives you time to answer them when you have the chance. I heard that you said that you don't have an e-mail address, but to be frank, I'm not buying that. If you don't want to give out your personal e-mail, it is easy enough to open a free account with google or yahoo dedicated to city business. Perhaps you're afraid you're going to be bombarded with endless mail from people like me. Tough. It's part of the job. Besides, if you're not getting the mail, as you can see, everybody else still will, and you'll be out of the loop.

3) From the Supreme Court on down, the judiciary has established that the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," means that government officials may not ask other government officials or others to pray. One case, Rubin v. City of Santa Monica, comes to mind. You might feel, as many do, that the courts have all erred, but this is how our American system works. As a Christian, I often pray silently, and prayed quietly while at meetings. I don't normally ask God for favors, but I even prayed in the voting booth (sometimes God says "No"). Usually the courts uphold the right of students, for example, to pray in schools, as long as it is the students initiating the prayer, that it isn't part of the public school's curriculum or schedule, and that it isn't a school official initiating the prayer time.
Joy and Ron gave you a perfect opening Monday night, when they suggested praying before the meeting, or having a non-denominational prayer, or rotating religions to pray different weeks. You chose not to take that suggestion, and I am left to conclude that it is because you wanted your minister to lead the council with a prayer of your choosing, and your choosing alone. It is for this reason that our forefathers devised such a separation of church and state, to prevent government officials from pushing his particular version of faith onto those governed. It is often stated by those in favor of public prayer that our forefathers were Christians. Many of them were, but they remembered that the King of England called himself a Christian too, and would have had them all be members of the Anglican Church.
I would suggest that before each meeting, you meet upstairs and have a prayer meeting before coming down to start the meeting and taking on official mayoral duties. I'll join you while I'm in town, but if you start to pray for the canopies, I'm outta there.

4) The Rental Ordinance has been in the works for years, and I believe it is a good law. If you or other members of the new council have a problem with the fee schedule, than by all means, discuss that. Please remember though that the Charter prohibits a member of council from voting on a matter that directly effects the business interests of the member, or a family member of the council member.

5) The proposed salary for the new City Manager wasn't simply pulled out of thin air. I have come to understand that the amount was gotten after comparing salaries of managers in similarly sized cities with similar budgets with an advisor from the Michigan Municipal League. I am confused by your suggestion at Monday's meeting that if the city doesn't get any qualified candidates at the suggested rate, that you would like to lower the offer to $45,000.
Mr. Fortner, when you owned your bakery, did you raise the price on your day-old donuts?
For the skills and experience required for the CM position, $45,000 is an insulting figure. I would suggest you talk to the MML advisor hired by the city.
Also, I certainly hope that you or any other members of council don't intend to simply shoot down any qualified candidates simply for not accepting the $45,000 figure. Mr. Auger is leaving soon whether we have a replacement for him or not. Please make sure that we have adequate management in place before then.

6) Have you read the Robert's Rule of Order book? Keith and I helped write a list of rules for council meetings while I was on the council. Keith is going to quickly point out whenever somebody isn't following them, I hope. Current and future councils have the prerogative to change the rules of course, but in the meantime, you have an obligation to know and follow them

Those are all of my questions for now. I'm letting you off easy since you're new to the job. Take your time answering if you need to. I might have to spend a lot of time on the road for my new job, but I still keep a close eye on Davison from afar. The internet and e-mail allow that. I'll be watching, and yes, praying for you all. (Just don't ask me to do it with a gavel in your hand).

Most Sincerely;

Kevin McKague

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Don't DDA's cover parking lots? Why can't Kevin make it to a council meeting? Do some more research on the Religion thing. The supreme court might want to make laws on religion but that is illegal. Why is it bad to save taxpayers money? How much money do you need to get to run a one square mile city. If they can't find anyone in Davison to do it for $45,000 maybe I'll apply. That would be a huge jump in my salary and I have a degree.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:02 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
Do some more research on the Religion thing. The supreme court might want to make laws on religion but that is illegal.

For real? YOU DO THE RESEARCH. Start with reading the constitution, where you'll find the language pertaining to separation of church and state.

To boot, the Supreme Court doesn't MAKE laws, they interpret them.

The author had it exactly right! And even included a Supreme Court case as an example! Where is his lack of research?!

I hate to be hard on my fellow man, but that comment really made you seem ignorant. Sorry.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:01 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Adam,

It's how a person interprets the Establishment Clause.

A person can comfortably say a prayer at the open comment portion of the meeting at it is public comment. But once you get in to the arena of the mayor stating it as a part of the meeting it has crossed the line and will probably get Davison into a lot of trouble.....how would he accommodate the Muslims, the Hindus, and the Jewish, and Pagan peoples.

If HE wants to say a prayer to his deity of choice than let him do it before the meeting in the office or something.

I got mad when my youngest son came home with a pencil from school that said, "Jesus is the reason for the season." I was cognizant that a parent handed them out, but still nonetheless mad that one would do that in a public school setting. If people want to use taxpayer money to endorse a religion than, that's what crosses the line.

edited to add: I am a Christian, just one that is different. Wink

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:55 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I am a Christian, just one that is different too Andi!

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
I got mad when my youngest son came home with a pencil from school that said, "Jesus is the reason for the season." I was cognizant that a parent handed them out, but still nonetheless mad that one would do that in a public school )
I feel sorry for your son, did he even have a clue what you were mad about? It's only a pencil, Mom! Hope he doesn't develop a complex about the goodness in giving and sharing. Sad I'm sure you handled it well. Smile
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:03 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

No, I am not a demonstrative type of mother that displays a 'tude over something that he receives from school, hell, he was in Young 5's and couldn't read anyway!! Wink

Heck no!! My kids know about giving and sharing with other people, I am very involved in my church with fundraisers and the local charities and Hubby is really involved in his church along with the kids.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:33 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: