FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Teacher Appreciation Week !
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

Kids already know how to speak slang. They should be taught good vocabulary. slang and swearing will not get anyone a job even teach.
Post Sun May 14, 2006 10:19 pm 
Adam

Gurl I think you done got a point. You be so smart sometimnes Rap dog. lol Seriously though I think it's nice when kids know how to speak proper English. With the internet I've heard the Egnlish language may be changing. Do they even teach much grammer in public schools? If it hadn't been for a private school I'm not sure if I'd have even learned about prepositions at Davison. I also learned how to diagram a sentence. I thought that was pretty neat. I doubt very few if any schools teach that. It was kind of ironic sitting in Spanish class at DHS and the teacher mentioned prepositions and the Spanish teach would have to teach a brief English class about what a preposition was. By the way I wasn't "doggin" you Rapunzel. I do like bustin out my ebonics skills once in a while though. Since I live in the Eastside hood I'm allowed to do that right? lol
Post Mon May 15, 2006 6:15 pm 
rapunzel

NO, and definitely not around my child. First of all it is the parents responsibility to teach right and wrong, even in speech. My mom always corrected word usage (ain't isn't a word ect.). Learn by example ...never once heard that woman swear and was always told to mind my, Please and Thank You's.

My daughters spoken vocabulary astounds me... the words she uses taught at school. NONE OF WHICH ARE SLANG! The first time my daughter comes home speaking Peeps or Gurl, I will wash her mouth out with soap! If the teacher spoke them they better be ready to blow bubbles!
Post Mon May 15, 2006 11:59 pm 

Rappy ! You get your undies all in a bunch over nothing. I speak to my students in school in such a way they can relate. I do correct my students on a constant basis. But, I do ask them to stop "clowning". I do tell them, "I'm going to put you outta class". I do tell them, "I'm gonna call your momma and daddy if your behavior doesn't come correct." I won't tell you how to raise your daughter but.. if she comes home speaking street and that's the only thing you have to worry about. Consider yourself lucky ! I do with my boys ! But as a teacher in the inner city you have to relate and be "real" with your students or they won't take you for face value.

And lastly, if you go down south even the most "educated" white speak the same way. In actuality, it's not black slang or ghetto slang or hip hop slang. It's called speaking a dialect and in states down south the white, blacks, Democrats, Republicans, educated, un-educated speak the same way. It's a sub culture and taught by parents and grandparents.

Flintteach
Post Tue May 16, 2006 8:24 am 
rapunzel

After being interviewed by the school
administration, the eager teaching prospect said: Let me see if I've got this right. You want me to go
into that room with all those kids, and fill their
every waking
moment with a love for learning, and I'm supposed to
instill a sense of
pride in their ethnicity, modify their disruptive
behavior, observe them for signs of abuse and even
censor their T-shirt messages and dress habits.

You want me to wage a war on drugs and sexually
transmitted diseases, check their backpacks for
weapons of mass destruction, and raise their self
esteem.You want me to teach them patriotism, good
citizenship, sportsmanship, fair play, how to
register to vote, how to balance a checkbook, and how
to apply for a job. I am to check their heads for
lice, maintain a safe environment, recognize signs of
anti-social behavior, make sure all students pass the
state exams, even those who don't come to school
regularly
or complete any of their assignments.

Plus, I am to make sure that all of the students with
handicaps get an equal education regardless of the
extent of their mental or physical handicap. I am to
communicate regularly with the parents by letter, telephone,newsletter and report card. All of this I am
to do with just a piece of chalk, a computer, a few
books, a bulletin board, a big smile AND on a starting
salary that qualifies my family for food stamps! You
want me to do all of this and then you tell me . . I CAN'T PRAY ????

submitted by a friend to education
Post Tue May 16, 2006 10:21 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: