FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: State takes over audit of Flint city finances

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

State takes over audit of Flint city finances
Posted by Marjory Raymer | The Flint Journal November 20, 2007 19:30PM

FLINT -- The state Treasury Department usurped Flint City Council authority Tuesday to ensure the city's finances get checked over as required by law.

Under the City Charter, the City Council has sole authority over the city's annual audit, the start of which has been delayed because of the ongoing budget dispute between City Council and Mayor Don Williamson.

The administration appealed to the state two weeks ago and filed a lawsuit against City Council to try to force the audit, City Attorney Trachelle Young said.

The Treasury Department stepped in Tuesday.

Deputy State Treasurer Thomas F. Saxton, in a fax sent to Williamson Tuesday, hired an auditor -- even without Council approval. He cited a state law giving the Treasury Department authority to do so.

The city still will be billed for the audit. Saxton hired the city's traditional auditing firm, Plante & Moran.

"I don't think it's the best way to do things. I hope it doesn't happen in the future," said City Councilman Jim Ananich, chairman of the Finance Committee. "We need to work these things out."

Ananich said he plans to not focus on the state intrusion into city business because he is focused now on rebuilding a working relationship between Council and the administration. He said he and Williamson have met and plan to continue to meet to work out differences.

The audit is of the city's finances for the fiscal year that ended June 30 and is due Dec. 31.

"It is evident that each day the City fails to engage a certified public accounting firm increases the likelihood that the city will not be able to timely file its audit," Saxton wrote.

A majority of the City Council maintains that the current operating budget is at least partially invalid because they believe it was adopted improperly.

The Council has steadfastly refused virtually all spending -- including the $115,000 set aside for the annual audit -- to try to pressure Williamson to negotiate several items.

Source: http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/11/state_takes_over_audit_of_flin.html

Sorry, Terry, this deserves its own thread.
Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:14 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

This is one time I'm glad to see the State step in--to initiate the audit for fiscal year ending June 30, 2007. It is totally irresponsible for certain members of City Council to refuse to issue the letter requesting the auditors commence the audit so it can be completed by the December 31, 2007 due date.

There should be a law to provide for the automatic removal of an elected council person from office for refusing to take action such as the five council members have done in this case. Their repeated refusal is on video tape of council meetings.
Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:38 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Unfortunately, it sounds like business as usual. Council accuses the Mayor of all sorts of things, but doesn't seem to mind violating the Charter & State law themselves.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

clowns will be clowns...........

i predict recalls if this foolishness does'nt stop. Mad

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:31 pm 
necroped
F L I N T O I D

quote:

"I don't think it's the best way to do things. I hope it doesn't happen in the future," said City Councilman Jim Ananich, chairman of the Finance Committee. "We need to work these things out."

That's interesting. Wasn't it Ananich who told CC, "If you want to write the letter [requesting an audit] go ahead but I'm not going to sign it."? ... Bob Leonard has a replay on his November 13 show.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:52 pm 
last time here

ha ha ha yup, i just saw it again on bob's show!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:06 pm 
necroped
F L I N T O I D

I'm sure Ananich likes that title "Chairman of the Finance Committee" but it's obvious Neeley and Kincaid keep him on a very short leash.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:48 pm 
last time here

i think kincaid keeps them BOTH on a short leash!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:56 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Here we go again...
Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:00 pm 
last time here

hey rich, what the heck do you do with a snowmobile in florida?? Shocked

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:51 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I ride it in Michigan when I comeup there in the winter. The expense of renting a snowmobile at $160 to $220 a day is crazy so, I bought one. Plus, "It is better to own and have sit in the garage than not to own at all."

Here I am on the beach last July.

Richard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUBNPYhkqO8
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:07 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

My first thought was that you probably get funny looks from folks down there. Then, I remembered that 1/2 the population of Florida is from Michigan.
That beach looks like a great place for sand drags.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

your enjoying life..good for you rich!!!! Cool Cool Cool

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:37 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: