FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Old Medical Arts Building to be demolished

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Old Medical Arts Building in Flint, Michigan, To Finally Be Demolished
By Jason

Flint Township residents will be happy to know that the Medical Arts Building sitting vacant will soon be knocked to the ground due to a demolition permit approval passed Friday, November 16th.

In a unanimous vote by officials, spending to demolish the building has been approved and will cost around $70,000. The building has been sitting vacant for over 15 years. However, Flint Township won't be the only one spending to remove the building. Only 48% of the building is inside the township.

The 34,000 sq. ft. property lies on Flushing Rd, half in Flint Township and the other half in the city of Flint. Spending $70,000 to demolish the old structure will be part of the property owners taxes to help the township recover funding.

Although, township supervisor, Doug Carlton, knows that the money may not be paid.

"Just because the cost is applied to a tax bill doesn't mean they are going to pay it. A lot of money is not recovered quickly," he states.

This property is owned by Dr. Venulapali (sic). Her husband also owns property within Flint Township. He owns a downtown Flint landmark. The Genesee Towers is the tallest building in the county and has had some locals concerned about the condition in which it remains as well.

"It's just unfortunate we have a couple that won't comply with keeping their buildings up to code and we have to charge them the cost. We may never see that kind of money," he said.

However, when the medical building actually comes down won't be the township's decision. The bill has been passed over to the city hands. The building has been said as a nuisance to efforts made to fix to the neighborhood which once had two very popular restaurants.

The township had sought legal action to take down the Medical Arts building but ceased to follow through when they found out the city had previously made an attempt to knock it down. The city now has not been reached to get details on the date of demolition.

The court order issued in November of 2006 to not take out the building for 200 days. The order also instructed Venulapali (sic) to board up the area and have the interior repaired. It was to done within seven months. She, however, did not board up the site and did not seek permits to construct. She also failed to provide any drawings for improvements that were planned.
______
Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/452684/old_medical_arts_building_in_flint.html

It will be interesting to see what local media reports--and when.
Laughing
Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:42 pm 
MysteryGuest
F L I N T O I D

About time.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:33 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Being silly here.......
Another famous landmark gone! Laughing
Will the Township only tear down their 1/2? Laughing

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Man, that building is ugly. Too bad it wasn't kept up.

A little sad though, my mom took me there the first time I ever had my blood drawn, I passed out in the parking lot. Ah, sweet memories.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:31 am 
last time here

@ tegan!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:27 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The building has not been closed for 15 years, I use to clean that building back in 1997. At that time it was 60% full.

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Old Medical Arts Building in Flint, Michigan, To Finally Be Demolished
By Jason

Flint Township residents will be happy to know that the Medical Arts Building sitting vacant will soon be knocked to the ground due to a demolition permit approval passed Friday, November 16th.

In a unanimous vote by officials, spending to demolish the building has been approved and will cost around $70,000. The building has been sitting vacant for over 15 years. However, Flint Township won't be the only one spending to remove the building. Only 48% of the building is inside the township.

The 34,000 sq. ft. property lies on Flushing Rd, half in Flint Township and the other half in the city of Flint. Spending $70,000 to demolish the old structure will be part of the property owners taxes to help the township recover funding.

Although, township supervisor, Doug Carlton, knows that the money may not be paid.

"Just because the cost is applied to a tax bill doesn't mean they are going to pay it. A lot of money is not recovered quickly," he states.

This property is owned by Dr. Venulapali (sic). Her husband also owns property within Flint Township. He owns a downtown Flint landmark. The Genesee Towers is the tallest building in the county and has had some locals concerned about the condition in which it remains as well.

"It's just unfortunate we have a couple that won't comply with keeping their buildings up to code and we have to charge them the cost. We may never see that kind of money," he said.

However, when the medical building actually comes down won't be the township's decision. The bill has been passed over to the city hands. The building has been said as a nuisance to efforts made to fix to the neighborhood which once had two very popular restaurants.

The township had sought legal action to take down the Medical Arts building but ceased to follow through when they found out the city had previously made an attempt to knock it down. The city now has not been reached to get details on the date of demolition.

The court order issued in November of 2006 to not take out the building for 200 days. The order also instructed Venulapali (sic) to board up the area and have the interior repaired. It was to done within seven months. She, however, did not board up the site and did not seek permits to construct. She also failed to provide any drawings for improvements that were planned.
______
Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/452684/old_medical_arts_building_in_flint.html

It will be interesting to see what local media reports--and when.
Laughing

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
The building has not been closed for 15 years, I use to clean that building back in 1997. At that time it was 60% full.
Ryan, that must have been before Kumar and his wife got deed to the property in late October 1997. The building was nearly emptied when NBD left in 1998.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:53 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

No i was refering to the Medical Arts Building.

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Ryan, that must have been before Kumar and his wife got deed to the property in late October 1997. The building was nearly emptied when NBD left in 1998.

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

there was a great bar next to it. irish i think. they made the best
lunch fare in this town.... of course, there was also the famed
junk yard bar on dort. those ladies made the best soups i've EVER had!!!

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:01 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Paddy McGees?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Yes, Paddy McGee's!

quote:
last time here schreef:
there was a great bar next to it. irish i think. they made the best
lunch fare in this town.... of course, there was also the famed
junk yard bar on dort. those ladies made the best soups i've EVER had!!!

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:40 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
No i was refering to the Medical Arts Building. The building has not been closed for 15 years, I use to clean that building back in 1997. At that time it was 60% full.
Whoops! Sorry, Ryan. Looks like Sasikala Vumulapalli's deed to 2765 Flushing Road was recorded 6/22/95. The last two businesses I remember being in that building were Kielen Shoes and the medical lab, but it appeared to have been deserted long before that. Seems there was a big controversy about a fence between that building and the restaurant next door back in 1997 or just before. You recall anything about that?
Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:59 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: