FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Journal Endorses Walling

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

As Flint's mayor, Don Williamson operates as a one-man band. Dayne Walling would conduct an orchestra.
If re-elected Tuesday for four more years, Williamson would continue as he has, leading a fragile island contentiously, accepting help grudgingly. Walling, on the other hand, would build a mountain of opportunity with an army of allies.

If this were the 1950s or 1960s, the more-than-adequate record Williamson has compiled on basic services would merit re-election. Even now, in challenging and changing times, Williamson would receive our endorsement if he were running against someone less promising.

Fortunately, Flint voters aren't faced with this choice. In Walling, they have a candidate with the intelligence, vision, and, most valuable, the personal skills to become a true leader if given a chance.

Flint must provide him this opportunity, for the city's, and indeed the entire region's, prospects in the globally competitive 21st century very likely depend on this outcome.

We don't make this assessment casually. While government performance is always important to a community's success, it never has been more crucial to the Flint area's well-being than now because of our insecure situation.

And Flint's mayor is key. He must be the maestro, the creative team-builder who makes everyone perform better.

The right person in such a role can inspire stunning achievement, as exemplified by former Lansing Mayor David Hollister, who turned a city on a downward track into an object of admiration. Flint needs a mayor of this caliber.

Yet Williamson deserves credit. He's paved hundreds of lane miles of streets, made the city cleaner, replaced scores of city vehicles, and, most importantly, kept the books in the black after a state-ordered city takeover ended eight months into his term.

However, most of the deficit prompting the receivership was eliminated before Williamson took power. Recall, too, how he shamefully clashed with a state-appointed manager responsible for much of the recovery because the mayor wasn't yet in charge.

It's that my-way-or-the-highway attitude, which Williamson has exhibited throughout his term, that makes nearly every progressive step a precarious journey.

Credible organizations and individuals with the best of intentions worry constantly that the mayor might erect a roadblock. In fact, much of the redevelopment downtown and accomplishments in various economic and neighborhood initiatives occurred because talented people maneuvered around the city administration, or had its late participation.

Residents might accept Williamson's wars with the City Council, but there's no excuse for holding up projects because of orneriness or professional mediocrity, which describes a good many of the people the mayor has brought to City Hall, often for political reasons.

Such personnel practices may not get noticed because of Williamson's visibly good job with the city's housekeeping, compared to the past. But he doesn't have the skilled staff for Flint to reel in the partnerships and resources essential for prosperity.

Williamson, 73, isn't good at building coalitions because he doesn't have much faith in people. "Greed, animosity and jealousy" are key human motivations he volunteered to The Journal's Editorial Board.

Walling's outlook is refreshingly different. He believes that the "better angels" in people can be inspired to follow a quality leader with a well-conceived program.

Walling's campaign reflects this philosophy: His idealism and character have attracted a diverse body of supporters impressed by his practical plans for Flint's physical, economic and social renewal -- spearheaded by a high-quality city government.

Equally important, they have to admire his down-to-earth way of dealing with people from all walks of life. Walling, 33, would attract powerful players to Flint's cause, not shove them away. The Rhodes Scholarship he won alone would open doors.

Walling's service with Washington, D.C.'s mayor, his agency experience in Minneapolis and a stint at the nationally acclaimed Genesee County Land Bank provide examples of good governance to follow.

Most of all, though, he would lead Flint in a way with which it is not familiar, but would grow fond of. He would pave a road to a future many doubt possible. Voters on Tuesday should put their faith in Dayne Walling by making him their next mayor.
Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Put the Dimocrat party establishment back in power? I don't think so.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

When did the Democratic Establishment ever lose power in this County?
Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

The Flint Journal has put integrity ahead of advertising money in its endorsement. Expect Patsy Lou automotive adds to disappear from The Flint Journal's pages for awhile.

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:34 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

josh, I gotta say thank you. That was one of the few clear, straightforward, and most importantly, mature views on the election I've seen on here.

I'll of course be anxious to see an equally clear, straightforward and mature rebuttal.
Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:45 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:
josh, I gotta say thank you. That was one of the few clear, straightforward, and most importantly, mature views on the election I've seen on here.

I'll of course be anxious to see an equally clear, straightforward and mature rebuttal.

While I would like to take credit... the Flint Journal wrote that.

I wouldn't have been so nice towards Williamson.
Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:53 am 
last time here

and now you understand why the journal is regarded as the urinal. Laughing

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:07 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

so.... because the flint journal wrote a clear, concise, straightforward and mature piece about the election, they should be called the urinal?

that wasn't the rebuttal I was looking for
Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:11 pm 
last time here

i don't write anything for you.
the journal has always attempted to sway thinking. Cool Cool

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:16 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
When did the Democratic Establishment ever lose power in this County?

I'm talking about Flint, not the County. Proof they've never lost power in the County is Hoodrow on the County Board.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

the more i see, read and listen to, there is a very LARGE well planned,
concerted effort to rid flint of the mayor....i wonder why?? Cool Cool Cool Cool

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:55 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
the more i see, read and listen to, there is a very LARGE well planned,
concerted effort to rid flint of the mayor....i wonder why?? Cool Cool Cool Cool

I don't ever remember the Dem's State Central Committee paying for TV commercials for a candidate for Mayor of Flint. Really has me wondering, too.

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:37 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: