FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: who will win and why??
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
last time here

actually, for the short time he's been in office, i honestly
believe he's done a commendable job. atwood stadium languished
for several terms before anything was done. like it or not, the city
is clean. remember back when you would go to pay your water or tax
bill and you'd have to wait because the teller was eating, reading or
talking on the phone? i do!! those days are long gone.. i've been
pleasantly impressed!!! Cool Laughing Cool Razz Cool Laughing Cool Razz

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:40 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

I asked him if his "Neighborhood Action Teams" would have members from the neighborhoods, & didn't get a definite answer either way. If nobody from the neighborhood is involved, how will the "teams" know what's needed? If the "teams" are all city employees, what will the hiring criteria be? Where will the money come from to pay them? We can get action on problems now by calling the appropriate department. The times I've called, if I called the wrong place, I was immediately and politely switched to the correct place.

He advocates going back to 2 man police cars, and putting officers in the neighborhoods. Where will the money come from to train all the new officers that will be needed?

The City jail MUST stay open. The surety of being locked up is a deterrent to crime. I asked Dane what he would do, and he seemed more concerned with the possibility of an inmate suing the city than he is in keeping the jail open.

I heard him speak for an hour at the Eastside meeting. One of the things he explained was that although currently police response times are down on paper often times officers must wait to get out of their cars for another officer to arrive. By having to man police cars we may actually be able to respond faster although the numbers would look worse on paper.

In addition with community policing you can often stop crimes from happening. One arrest can take an hour or two or more of a policeman's time. It would be much better if we could spend an hour or two and preent the crime from being committed.

Right now the crime rate is down because of the jail. By actually preventing crimes we would be much better off. I do not think Dayne would close the jail.

Dayne also mentioned about doing inexpensive preventive maintanance on roads to get even more from our streets dollars.

In addition by having a mayor that can talk to people and actualy use the money we are given we could get more money. When you combine that with using the money more effectively you can get more bang for the buck.

Another thing Dayne mentioned was that the city of Flint was too incompetent to even give out business loans and had to turn it over to the bank so the mone didn't expire. This delays businesses and jobs coming to Flint.

We do need to be concerned with inmates suing the city. A couple lawsuits and instead of costing around $1 or $2 million a year the jail could cost $4 or $8 million a year to operate.

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:07 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Adam: "I heard him speak for an hour at the Eastside meeting. One of the things he explained was that although currently police response times are down on paper often times officers must wait to get out of their cars for another officer to arrive. By having to man police cars we may actually be able to respond faster although the numbers would look worse on paper."

00SL2 Response: Our officers often wait for backup? Do tell! If an emergency call warrants more than one officer I'll bet more than one car gets assigned in the first place. Two men in a police car go no faster than one man in a police car. If two cars respond at the same time they should arrive at the destination nearly simultaneously, depending on their original location when they receive the call.

Adam: "In addition with community policing you can often stop crimes from happening. One arrest can take an hour or two or more of a policeman's time. It would be much better if we could spend an hour or two and preent the crime from being committed."

00SL2 Response: When community policing is done as it should be, the officers know the neighborhood, its residents, and where the trouble spots are. Assigning neighborhood officers to a designated community is more effective than having them cover the entire community, running from one end to the other.

Adam: "Right now the crime rate is down because of the jail. By actually preventing crimes we would be much better off. I do not think Dayne would close the jail."

00SL2 Response: Crime is also down because of resident and police neighborhood involvement. This must be an ongoing communication. Opening the jail has permitted arrests on outstanding warrants. Getting some of the perpetrators off the streets is a step toward some crime prevention. Example: Recent apprehension of 3 perps responsible for rash of B&Es should reduce that rate.

Adam: "Dayne also mentioned about doing inexpensive preventive maintanance on roads to get even more from our streets dollars."

00SL2 Response: Would like to know what kind of street maintenance is inexpensive. Could train the city workers to do the job right the first time and save by not having to have repairs done so often.

Adam: "In addition by having a mayor that can talk to people and actualy use the money we are given we could get more money. When you combine that with using the money more effectively you can get more bang for the buck."

00SL2 Response: The current mayor can "talk to people." What do you mean by "using the money we're given we could get more money." Are you talking about the City Council's delay in approving use of grant monies?

Adam: "Another thing Dayne mentioned was that the city of Flint was too incompetent to even give out business loans and had to turn it over to the bank so the mone didn't expire. This delays businesses and jobs coming to Flint."

00SL2 Response: The first sentence of that quote makes no sense. The City made a loan that wasn't repaid. ??

Adam: "We do need to be concerned with inmates suing the city. A couple lawsuits and instead of costing around $1 or $2 million a year the jail could cost $4 or $8 million a year to operate."

00SL2 Response: Inmates are held at the county jail. Those taken to the city jail who can only be held for 72 hours want to sue the city--for what? I'm more concerned about members of the Flint Police Department and City Council members who are bound and determined to keep this city in the courts and bleed the taxpayers. If certain officers aren't happy with their jobs and the council members don't want to take care of city business they should resign. I am tired of my tax dollars being wasted. Enough is enough!
Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:12 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

I attended the same meeting..I don't have notes handy but let me attemp to clarify..Rap

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Adam: "I heard him speak for an hour at the Eastside meeting. One of the things he explained was that although currently police response times are down on paper often times officers must wait to get out of their cars for another officer to arrive. By having to man police cars we may actually be able to respond faster although the numbers would look worse on paper."

00SL2 Response: Our officers often wait for backup? Do tell! If an emergency call warrants more than one officer I'll bet more than one car gets assigned in the first place. Two men in a police car go no faster than one man in a police car. If two cars respond at the same time they should arrive at the destination nearly simultaneously, depending on their original location when they receive the call.

RAP- good point..."depending on original location" One car will always get there first. The first car there will be recorded as response time. 911 officers assess the call priority on a scale depending likely on the words of an upset (frantic) caller. So one officer (car) may be sent rather than two and then wait for back up.
In most cases officers do back each other up and two sometimes three Tahoes show up at the same location...so where is the cost savings or the increase in public safety by having two vehicles and two officers show up vs. two officers in one vehicle?(my thought)
Walling did also say he has modified his thinking to accept that in some areas and some times of the day one man cars are sufficient. In high crime areas though when calls are made daily that require more than one officer usually during shift hours that are High Crime hours two man cars are still needed.

Adam: "In addition with community policing you can often stop crimes from happening. One arrest can take an hour or two or more of a policeman's time. It would be much better if we could spend an hour or two and preent the crime from being committed."

00SL2 Response: When community policing is done as it should be, the officers know the neighborhood, its residents, and where the trouble spots are. Assigning neighborhood officers to a designated community is more effective than having them cover the entire community, running from one end to the other.

RAP says...AGREED our Community Police Millage is not being used to fund true Community Policing! I want my COPS Officer in my nbh more than the last 10 minutes of his shift!

Adam: "Right now the crime rate is down because of the jail. By actually preventing crimes we would be much better off. I do not think Dayne would close the jail."

00SL2 Response: Crime is also down because of resident and police neighborhood involvement. This must be an ongoing communication. Opening the jail has permitted arrests on outstanding warrants. Getting some of the perpetrators off the streets is a step toward some crime prevention. Example: Recent apprehension of 3 perps responsible for rash of B&Es should reduce that rate.

RAP- Key statement -Ongoing Communication! Not only during elections or millage campaigns. If I remember right from the Stats ..Thefts and burgularies are up.

Adam: "Dayne also mentioned about doing inexpensive preventive maintanance on roads to get even more from our streets dollars."

00SL2 Response: Would like to know what kind of street maintenance is inexpensive. Could train the city workers to do the job right the first time and save by not having to have repairs done so often.

RAP says..Not sure what Adam was refering to here..Some discussion entailed the underlying sewer problems that are being covered over by new asphalt. that the plan for addressing sewer problems need to be coincided with street paving plans. ie: Don't newly pave a street to tear it up later to fix the sewer. overlay long term plans

Adam: "In addition by having a mayor that can talk to people and actualy use the money we are given we could get more money. When you combine that with using the money more effectively you can get more bang for the buck."

00SL2 Response: The current mayor can "talk to people." What do you mean by "using the money we're given we could get more money." Are you talking about the City Council's delay in approving use of grant monies?

RAP says...Spending grant funds in a timely manner makes a big difference on receiving subsequent grants. Not only has the council delayed allocating.. the mayor has disapproved the original use of funds and last second proposed using the funds in a different manner. ex...funds for relocating Katrina victims.

Adam: "Another thing Dayne mentioned was that the city of Flint was too incompetent to even give out business loans and had to turn it over to the bank so the mone didn't expire. This delays businesses and jobs coming to Flint."

00SL2 Response: The first sentence of that quote makes no sense. The City made a loan that wasn't repaid. ??

RAP says...No.. We had grant funding allocated that was not spent for business loans( not CBGD) if the money was not allocated it would revert back to State or Fed. by deadline. This money was placed in bank likely in a spend down account to avert being resinded. again don't have notes to remember specifics.

Adam: "We do need to be concerned with inmates suing the city. A couple lawsuits and instead of costing around $1 or $2 million a year the jail could cost $4 or $8 million a year to operate."

00SL2 Response: Inmates are held at the county jail. Those taken to the city jail who can only be held for 72 hours want to sue the city--for what? I'm more concerned about members of the Flint Police Department and City Council members who are bound and determined to keep this city in the courts and bleed the taxpayers. If certain officers aren't happy with their jobs and the council members don't want to take care of city business they should resign. I am tired of my tax dollars being wasted. Enough is enough!

RAP- certainly am tired of the lawsuits and the partisan fights...wish they would compromise and TCB.

Peace,
RAP

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:43 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: