FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Crime Reduced by 50%!!!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

We can dream can't we? Since we have a crime problem why not take a look at places that have been successful at reducing crime and how they did it.

http://www.state.ny.us/governor/patrecord/crime.html

For what reduced crime in NYC:
http://www.nber.org/digest/jan03/w9061.html
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Crime/HL573.cfm

NYC is now "THE SAFEST LARGE CITY IN THE U.S"
http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=1091
Adam Ford
Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:10 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Nice job. I had read about those a while back. Only thing was I couldn't use those becuase, their size wasn't even close to us for comparison. Although I did use some of the things they've done as examples of what could be done. THose are very interesting. One thing that I found was that most of these big cities didn't hire any additional officers. They just fought crime smarter.

In David R. Francis Article I find it interesting he attempts to use jobless rates and economy for evidence that it affected the downward trend in crime Yet, he makes no mention that jobless rates and the econmy has been blasted. Yet crime still fell as the economy went into the crapper. He uses those stats to suppport his case but doesn't even mention them when they show his original thesis was obviosly wrong.

quote:
As Mr. Guiliani told the press in 1998, "Obviously murder and graffiti are two vastly different crimes. But they are part of the same continuum, and a climate that tolerates one is more likely to tolerate the other."

I've been saying the same thing. (did you see it one the Eric mayes Show? I didn't realise i was basically quoting a genius.
Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

I picked up Giuliani's book Leadership yesterday at the Flint public library. There are more copies left. Minus the fact that NYC is 100 times our size and therefore much harder to manage/turn around the similarities are strickingly similar. They had 1/7 people on welfare (over a million people). Under Giuliani's reign they moved 500,000 people off welfare and went from being one of the most dangerous and lawless cities to being one of the safest so it can be done. If you read the book you will understand why we have the problems we do.

Before he was mayor it took Giuliani 20 minutes to get a police officer in times square on a 911 call. Now police are in times square protecting tourists. Giuliani did increase the police force though. I wouldn't mind spending more on police and less on social welfare handouts.

In the book Giuliani explains why community policing doesn't work. It makes the store owner feel safe having in officer around in the daytime while their business gets broken into at night. In NYC they pretty much did away with that concept and started actually preventing crimes.

Guiliani did many many other notable things. I'd highly recommend reading his book. It reads to me like an improvement plan for the city of Flint.

Adam Ford
http://mysearchisover.com
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:03 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Giuliani did increase the police force though.

hmm, that's not what I got out of the bratton article
quote:
In the 1970s, the New York City Police Department laid off thousands of police as the city dealt with its budget crisis.

I guess the nest logical question would be. What percent did Rudy hire back? What is thier officer to citizen ratio? Officer to incident ratio? etc.

That community meeting yesterday was pretty intersting. I like TONY. If we are going to do something. Do it. Don't wait around for someone else to do it.

If she wants a website. I can have it up within 24 hours. She just needs to decide on a name. like www.arlingtonheightscrimewatch.org or whatever. not a big deal. i'll even spring for the first year. Forms, distribution lists, members whatever. It's not rocket science. Shoot, you know that.

This 6:00PM stuff kills me. I'd like to help out. It's just when. The main timeframe for the crime I'm most interested in stopping is After Midnight and before 6:AM. I wish police would have been present. I'd like to know exactly what times these ususally occur. I believe they know or should know. but probably don't track it. Notice her surprise when I mentioned the cars broken into on Levern.

I was also dissappointed our city councilperson not being there. I undstand you can't be at everything. But, from the looks of this group they could use all the support they can get. but I'm wierd that way. I feel more focus should be on the smaller newer groups than the ones that already have plenty of funding and quite a few members. Especially from local officials. And city council people are the closest offical I can think of.

Where was that lady the Mr. Leyton claims is at all the watch meetings and such? I beleive they reffered to her, but she wasn't actually there. It takes me a while to learn names. I remmember better when I see or talk to people online. Then put a face with the name.

And really she shouldn't be riding around alone. I don't think I would at least ith out taking my babies with me. My Van is a perfect crime watch van. A few extra bullet holes might be an improvement. LOL

I also wonder how many other meetings like that one were being held yesterday? Is there a website that coordinates with other groups in Flint? If not there should be. BUt, I've discovered that Flint is dragging it's BUTT into the 21st century on almost everything. Esp. the Internet. We don't seem to even have enough people in FLint using the web to warrent it. Just look at the City's website. Simple updates haven't been done in months. City council members contact information still hasn't been posted or their pictures.
Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Jerry,
Glad you could make it to Erica's meeting! She is a brave soul and I also worry about her. She is smart and does not vigilantee.

The crime watches are not co-ordinated and need to be. Many are the left over older generation that are not internet savvy. They will not leave their boundries for a group meeting. We have some new blood starting up groups and infusing older groups with new life.

Yep, We could sure use a citywide crime watch we site!!! Please!

One that meetings could be posted on, or maybe anonymous crime tip hotline. Crime watch leaders could then send the tips to LT. McLeod. That would drive him nuts!
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:04 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

What would drive someone Nuts and get the ball rolling would be for me to create a website. www.cityofflintcrimewatch.org or www.flintcrimewatch.org I'd bet almost immediately the DON would all of a sudden have the City create a link on the cities website something like www.cityofflint.com/crimewatch in order to say he is actually doing something and undermine the citizens. Same thing he did with his "City Clean Up's" where people like Tony over there by Kearsley Park had gotten the ball rolling then Don steps in and takes all the credit. Then Claims he is the one out there doing the work for you. LOL

I just double checked the City website to see if something was already on there. NOPE.

I'm sure with some help from Steve and Adam, we could put together a pretty deceit website with Links, and contact numbers, forums, schedules and announcements. For individual groups/areas in flint. Whether I created it or someone else. It needs to be done. And we shouldn't be sitting on our asses, waiting on 50 bucks from a grant to get the ball rolling.

I just don’t like just doing it on my own. My www.cityofflint.net. Is a private venture ON MY OWN to bring awareness to the Problems City leaders refuse to take seriously.

To do a crime watch website. We need crime watch leaders to take interest. And want to update it. I’m sure Adam would want to be involved. Password and Id is all he’d need.

Just need the word to go. And it’s started.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:23 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: