FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: OMbudsman Debate Continues
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

C'mon Biggie,
I had just mentioned how the mayors office didn't use reasoning as to why they do or say many things. When you tried to make the argument that because it wasn't a big deal because no one had done the job. I referred to the way Don makes decisions. Saying something like "Do you work for Don?" That’s the way he makes decisions. Because they didn't do the maintenance on certain vehicles the purchased other that cost more? Which doesn't make sense since those vehicles cost more to maintain. Because "A" wasn't maintained or the office wasn't operated properly for years. Isn't a reason to say "A" is bad. So we need to do or purchase "B".

And yes, the example is exactly the same.

quote:
BTW, where do you get the idea that the 'budman would go ranging off into studies of the efficacy of the police department and be presenting white papers on major strategic policy changes/improvements regarding the Police dept?

I never said he would? I never implied he would? Where did you even get that from anything I said? You don't need to attribute something to me I never said. Sure we can disagree. But, at least let's disagree on something I've said. Not something your implying I've said or inferred. If you had checked any of the links I posted to support what I've been saying. You'd found that when reading what other Ombudsman do. That their main job is to look into and make recommendations to policy. Could he look into manpower? I'm sure that may come up. Especially when doing the investigation and the Police Dept using it as an excuse, not to do anything. Not everything the Ombudsman investigates has to do with the Police Dept some of it is simple little crap. But at times they do get into the Police Depts business and has to use their political clout. I can see it becoming a bid deal in Flint. Because of the immense lack of accountability in the Flint police Dept. http://www.boiseombudsman.org/annual_and_mid.htm Just take a few moments and read some of the things this one has done. They don’t have any where near the problems we have in Flint so many of their complaints seem almost whinny.

quote:
My take is that its a place for the common citizen to go when city services are less than responsive, or when one doesn't know exactly how to the engage the government machine.

Here in lies the problem. We can go. But end up giving up after beating our heads against the wall for years. The ombudsman’s position is unique in that they can bring resolution to many of these problems. It gives the citizen some backing when they try to get an issue resolved. Is it perfect? No but is it any better then the system we have now. HELL YEA it is.

quote:
I think having/needing an ombudsman position is tantamount to admitting we have an incompetent, overblown bureaucratic, unresponsive government. Now that may be true, but an ombudsman is merely another bureaucracy band aid to address the symptoms, not a root-cause solution...fix the original mess.

OK, what is the solution to the Original mess? Can we even, ever, get a solution? Now there is a huge topic for discussion. But, here, I'll take any band aid that helps get through this system of bureaucracy. I would LOVE to say, we don't need an Ombudsman, or that it is a waste of resources. But, I cannot say that until City government, steps up to the plate and does what it is supposed to do and serves the people. And unfortunately, the way government works, I'm pretty sure we would both agree that it never will. Could it? Possibly. But will it? Not likely. (Unless someone is going to put me in charge as mayor. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

quote:
In any event. I doubt a patronage-appointed 'Budman can be what you and others envision......for the reasons I expressed earlier. to easy to "freeze" that person out of being effective if the other power centers don't want to cooperate....and remember the dog will be loathe to bite the hand that feeds them [the council].

You may be right. I don't deny this possibility at all. I believe it to be unlikely. But, it is a possibility. Especially, if we get a truly independent and creditable Ombudsman. And yes, we are hoping to get one. I've got my fingers crossed, threw some pennies in the Fountain and in a well and even said a few hail Mary's and I’m not even catholic.

I don’t take things personal on here. Even though I use my real name and post to be quoted. I stand behind everything I say and pull no punches. I don’t say most of this stuff Just to be mean or hateful, or even to make fun of someone (ie Don). But if public officials are going to say stupid things. I believe we need to call what they say Stupid. Point out the error and move on. I may call someone a “Crackhead” today, then recommend them for president tomorrow. Why? Because people learn, they grow. The way they look at something today, after listening to evidence may change their mind tomorrow. Am I personally attacking them. No, take it light, roll with the flow. But don’t always be a follower. Make a few waves. You’ve done a pretty good job here. I enjoy discussing this stuff. I’m sitting here completely thrilled. Not angry, and I don’t even feel I’m arguing. I’ve felt this was all discussion. Maybe at times heated. But in not way a “Hot” argument. Were if we were sitting across the table from each other we’d be angry at each other.

Peace.
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Thank You. That's all I ask when I post facts. ask the obvious questions?
How can a city with 20 more officers 100,000 more citizens, 3 times the amount of area, 3 millioin less dollars. Have less crime than Flint? That's really the quesiton the Flint needs to ask itself.

i can even rephrase it. How come a City equal in population, larger is area, 100 less police officers. Be the safest City to live in? And Flint have the highest crime rate? Legitamate answers only. None of this, poverty, or jobless rate BS!

We just need to be asking these questions of those in charge every city council meeting. Why isn't there any accountability in FLint GOvernment?
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

I have a feeling when you don't take care of problems they get worse and compound themselves. We don't arrest enough criminals and when we do they get released early. Think about it. Flint is a great place for criminals!!! Why would you want to commit a crime in other cities where you'd probably risk getting arrested when you could commit a crime in Flint and most likely get away with it. Even if you are arrested in Flint you should get an early release because the county jail is so overcrowded.

If I was a police officer I would probably do my job but I imagine it might be disheartening when you arrest someone knowing full well they will be back on the streets shortly.

For the jail situation I would prioritize and give theives and assaulters the full sentences.

I'm not convinced our whole crime problem is so complicated it tasks a special task force to figure things out.
Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:45 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Adam,
Your making sense.

I believe I've touched on all of those issues on my website. I've been thinking and stiding this quite some time.

I got boo'd off mlive and even removed for saying "Flint seems to spend more time attempting to welcome criminals than it does looking out for it's citizens" It's almost as if we have a sign at the city limits saying "Criminals Welcome" I say this becaue of all the things I've seen. From Flint wasting time going after the junk yards instead of focusing on the criminals. Painting over graffiti while ignoring the ones putting it up in the first place. etc.

quote:
If I was a police officer I would probably do my job but I imagine it might be disheartening when you arrest someone knowing full well they will be back on the streets shortly.
Do i think most cops are Bad? NO. but the system rewards those that don't follow procedure. (I have noticed some change in this policy, but only on highly visible situations ie School liaison officer, The officer that caused Owen fisher's death) That is why i spent so much time talking about the USMC. Code of Conduct, Motto, Leadership characteristics, etc. Leaders at the Flint Police dept should be continually working on Moral. It has got to be disheartening to arrest someone and have them out on the street again before the Ink dries on the paperwork to put him in there.

quote:
I'm not convinced our whole crime problem is so complicated it tasks a special task force to figure things out.

I’m with you 100 percent there. Does the dept do even the bare minimum? Not fi they can help it. Does flint track crime, areas and hot spots? If they do, their not doing a very good job of it. Do they follow up on anything. I've not once ever had the Flint police ever call and follow up on any complaint. Unlike the one situation I had where I went to the County Sheriff's office. They follow up'd three times. When they took care of the problem. I was thrilled. I didn't know what to do when they called back 30, 60 and 90 days later to make sure it was taken care of.

I don't believe we have to look any further than other municipalities’ in our own community to see how Flint can do a better job. Lansing Uses COMPSTAT Why can't flint? Other depts. require accountability Why can't Flint? It is not rocket science.

I also don't understand when 40 officers can arrest almost 7000 criminals and handle 22,000 complaints. That leaves us with the ability for the entire police dept to handle 118,250 + 22,000 = 140250 calls. I'm going to have to go back and double check this. But, If I remember correctly, that is about the same number or more than the calls the 911 gets a year for the city of Flint police. Hmmmm Considering more than half of those are double calls. People calling in the same incident. There has got to be a problem somewhere. And it’s not the number of officers.
Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:09 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Flint council starts ombudsman interviews Thursday
By Robert Snell
rsnell@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6302

FLINT— The City Council is scheduled to start interviewing 31 candidates Thursday for the vacant ombudsman appointment.
The interviews are scheduled to start at 8 a.m. and continue through Monday.

The job is essentially a city watchdog position responsible for investigating citizen complaints about such issues as police brutality.

A total of 133 people applied for the seven-year appointment, which pays $70,000 a year. An appointment must be made by May 9.

One candidate, Kristina Bell, an assistant ombudsman from Bellbrook, Ohio, has withdrawn.

The interviews last 30 minutes and end at 4 p.m. each day. A schedule follows:

Thursday: 8 a.m. Willie Nolden Jr.; 8:30 a.m. Greg Averyhardt; 9 a.m. Harold V. Alford; 9:30 a.m. Cheri A. Green; 10 a.m. Brenda Purifoy; 11 a.m., the Rev. Danyiel Griffin; 1:30 p.m. Frank E. Goodroe; 2 p.m. Thomas M. Prieur; 2:30 p.m. Eleazar D. Barzart; 3 p.m. Ismael Bermudez; 3:30 p.m. Florial Willis.

Friday: 8 a.m. Jose Lopez; 8:30 a.m. David D. Halboth; 9:30 a.m. Nadine G. Roberts; 10 a.m. James T. Dover III; 11 a.m. Christopher L. Wolf; 1:30 p.m. John P. Ribner; 2 p.m. Keesha M. Garrett; 2:30 p.m. Lorne L. Carignan; 3 p.m. Marilyn D. Twine.

Monday: 8:30 a.m. Starry Hodge ; 9 a.m. Jeffrey C. Atkin; 9:30 a.m. David M. Baker; 10 a.m. Eric Mays; 10:30 a.m. the Rev. Larry J. Higgins; 11 a.m. Jesse Lawson; 1:30 p.m. Nicholas J. Meier (by conference call); 2 p.m. Helen M. Wilcenski; 2:30 p.m. Patrick M. Clawson; 3 p.m. Donna Poplar; 3:30 p.m. Sandra Cabine-Heller.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: