FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Sisters United - for WALLING

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintCat
F L I N T O I D

I believe this article was not posted on Flint Talk.

Endorsement marks start of fight for black votes
Posted by Marjory Raymer | The Flint Journal September 17, 2007 11:49AM
Categories: Breaking News, Endorsements, Walling, Dayne
A group of African-American woman announced their support of mayoral challenger Dayne Walling today -- the start of crucial battle for candidates to win votes from the black community.

Sisters United made its endorsement at 10 a.m. today in front of City Hall. Co-chairwoman Donna Poplar called it "diversity in action."

Winning votes in the black community is key to the Nov. 6 election. Flint is a majority-black city, but both Walling and incumbent Mayor Don Williamson are white.

"Walling exemplifies integrity, credibility, leadership, commitment and other valuable leadership skills and attributes that we feel are essential for the betterment of Flint government," Sisters United founder Denise Smith Allen said.

Williamson has his own network of support in the black community. He has the backing of key church leaders and won historic support from the black community when he was elected in 2003.

Smith Allen said Walling was able to convince her during a three-hour interview that she could be comfortable with him representing her best interests.

The grassroots organization plans to go door-to-door in the black community to educate voters, Smith Allen said. The group includes staunch critics of Williamson, including Poplar and City Council woman Carolyn Sims.

"We have a shared commitment to diversity and a representative administration," Walling said. "This is the beginning of a great coalition of people coming together."

After the primary -- in which none of the four black candidates made it through to the general election -- Poplar said the city has "too many sell-out black folks" who back Williamson.

She said today she still believes the black community needs to do a better job of fighting oppression and backing its own, but that she and others are now "boldly supporting this white man."

"I stand with him because he's qualified," Poplar said.

When asked by a reporter why not Williamson, Smith Allen replied: "How much time do you have?"

When the laughter subsided, Smith Allen said Williamson takes credit for things that would have happened regardless of who was mayor and that she is tired of the way Williamson is running the city.

"We are very tired of a bully administration," Smith Allen said.
[/i]
Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:27 pm 
last time here

with all due regards and respect. ms.poplar is radioactive.
most mature black folks are tired of ANY rhetoric that could
be construed as inciteful. Embarassed Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:21 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: