FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: YEAR ROUND SCHOOLS?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
katy
F L I N T O I D

There is a growing conversation for and against year round schools.
Some are 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off.
It's also been brought up to have longer school days?
Anyone have a thought on this?
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:55 pm 
rapunzel

I like summer vacation. Children need time to just play. Could you imagine how hot it would be in these old school buildings? Now if we had buildings with central air (without parts falling from the ceiling) something could be said for subject retention. Children have to relearn\review in the fall what was taught the previous year. One reason the the MEAP in the fall is a poor idea. Still some teachers have said having the MEAP in the fall gets it out of the way earlier so they are not teaching to the Meap until Winter.

I like the thought of longer school days though not a shorter week. One hour more per day and a five days week. There never seems to be enough time to fit every thing needed in (Elementary). Though I am not sure about secondary
UTF would have a fit!
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:30 pm 
rapunzel

Never time for Character ed or MI Model health classes. There was talk at the board previously of just teaching the character ed component of the MI Model health curriculum. Does Milton or Anthony have a character ed component in the plan?
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:38 pm 
katy
F L I N T O I D

i knew you would be the first to reply..
you dont count girlfriend
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:46 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Year round is the way to go!!

Kids do better in school because that don't forget what they have learned during the summer.

Tearcher don't have to do a refesher at the beging of the year.

Parents love because the don't have to worry about child care during the summer months

It is a win win for all involved and the best part is those lazy teachers don't get to set back all summer and collect a check for nuthin all summer long!!
Just kidding flintteacher!!
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Goodness Steve,
You may need a refresher! Katy must have gotten you excited on this topic your spelling is usually a bit better.

I can still understand your point.
I do not want child care, I want family time. Time to camp or go to the library summer programs or vacation bible school. Character building family outings. Two parent working households no longer have the time for these very important things. Not to mention one parent providers. Girl scout summer camp is great if you can afford it. They do have scholarship programs.

Not all teachers are lazy! less than 1%. Many teachers are still in the buildings or working on lesson plans past 6 pm. Many teachers use their own funds for supplies and readers not to mention incentives. We used to have strong parent groups to support teachers and fundraisers for extras. Those parents (moms) are now working. Teachers work much more than what you think. Summer vacation is well deserved.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:07 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

The lazy teachers comment was a joke!

As far as my spelling, I sometime I don't wear my glasses as I should and also I screw up on the editing leaving thing in or out.

Ms Rapunzel, not all parents have the whole summer off to spent with their kids like you do.

I have been all over the world and seen a lot of different school systems and I know for a fact that both parents and kids love the year round school curriculum.

As a matter of fact, parents were on a waiting list in Raeford North Carolina to get the kid in a year round school.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
katy
F L I N T O I D

agree with Steve on this one...
The majority of the kids in flint would really benifit from this and it would keep them off the streets more. Unless a teacher works a summer program, they do not get paid. I believe it is like a construction worker , the benifits and pay are good but during the summer there is no check. Rapunzel is right in the fact that our teachers have the toughest job in the city. Imagine having to teach 150 students a day, most of them don't want to learn and they are tought no character ed at home. Our schools no-longer have the accountability factor from students so they act however they choose to. since there is none at home, they want to be suspended and will do what they have to to get kicked out...whatever it takes trust me, i've seen it.
I think vacations and things can be planned during the off weeks, and by being year round, they are more able to make up or catch up..
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:04 am 
biggie

quote:
katy schreef:
agree with Steve on this one...
The majority of the kids in flint would really benifit from this and it would keep them off the streets more. Unless a teacher works a summer program, they do not get paid. I believe it is like a construction worker , the benifits and pay are good but during the summer there is no check.

I thought one option was to take that annual pay and spread it out over 12 months? I mean if a teacher makes $48,000 per annum; they could elect to take it over say 24 paychecks; versus 20-21 paydays..etc.

quote:
katy schreef:
Rapunzel is right in the fact that our teachers have the toughest job in the city. Imagine having to teach 150 students a day, most of them don't want to learn and they are tought no character ed at home. Our schools no-longer have the accountability factor from students so they act however they choose to. since there is none at home, they want to be suspended and will do what they have to to get kicked out...whatever it takes trust me, i've seen it.
I think vacations and things can be planned during the off weeks, and by being year round, they are more able to make up or catch up..

Right On! They are on the front lines of the cultural, psychologial, physiological changes these children-adolescents-youg adults undergo. And they around these kids a lot longer than most parents face [and they only deal/ignore their own!].

Very tough assignment and I think it takes a special person to succeed in this role of urban/city school teacher.

biggie.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:54 pm 
katy
F L I N T O I D

Thank you for saying that about teachers
im so tired of hearing people put them down...
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:28 pm 
Adam

If every parent in Flint was like Rapunzel I don't think we'd have the problems we have with Flint schools. Even if I never met her kid I'd still be willing to bet money that her kid does pretty well in school, has no behavioral problems and will likely be on the honor roll. I think year round schools is definately not a very pleasing idea but for the kids who don't have parents like rapunzel it would probably be a good idea. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it will be the kids who do well in school that would have there parents put them in summer school.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:17 pm 
katy
F L I N T O I D

ADAM,
WHAT IS IT WITH YOU AND REPUNZEL?
rEPUNZEL IS ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS BUT I DON'T EVEN THINK SHE'S ALWAYS RIGHT..
hOW MUCH ARE YOU PAYING HIM MY FRIEND? LOL
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:06 pm 
rapunzel

Katy- I think if we count them we have disagreed more often than we have agreed on many subjects (cough-uniforms-cough). A good debate has two sides. Nope neither of us is always right but usually one of us is!

Peace
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:58 am 

i guess that means if we stay a team
we will always be right....i like it...
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:27 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: