FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Why is everyone so thrilled with

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

People paying penalties for something someone else did? Then THEY FIXED!

(Flint city council being punished for what Mayor Stanley was responsible for)
Let me explain.

Everybody seems to be thrilled that the Former Council members had to fines/fees/levies/pay. To the city for the former Mayors' accounting practices. HUH?

Michigan has a whistleblower law. However, it doesn’t seem to apply to government officials. HUH, Again?

Let’s walk this through.

The Former city council are the ones that went to the state in the first place because of grievous abnormalities in the City’s Budget. (Keep in mind, they only get the numbers from the Mayor or his staff, they don’t have an outside auditor telling them if the mayor’s numbers are correct) .

The State after much harassment, finally decided to appoint a financial manager.

The first thing he did was retaliate against the City council. (No he didn’t) OH YES HE DID! He gave raises to people in positions that have done nothing for this city, under the guise of “Deserving pay for their level of education or responsibility” Then he filled positions in “economic development areas” that still haven’t show us the value of those positions. All while cutting the pay of those most interested and desiring of getting the cities finances under control. IE they were “Whistle Blowers.” He basically fined them by cutting their pay for looking out for the best interests of this City. Then the People of Flint rewarded them by firing most of them.

Now, to Don’s credit he tired to right this injustice by authorizing them to receive their back pay. Then come reelection time. He spouted out accusations of “their stealing your money” All the while his appointed City Administrator was one of those who were rightfully repaid what she had earned!! YES SHE EARNED IT! SHE DIDN”T STEAL IT!! Along with the rest of the Council people.

All the while the people of Flint seemed to ignore the fact that, Don Williamson approved it. Don Williamson condoned it! But when it was politically convenient. Those people became thieves. He did this while screaming “I WRITE THE CHECKS” “THERE IS ACCOUNTABILTY IN FLINTS FINANACES”.

What is even worse. The Former City Councils budget is what Mr. Kurtz follwed with Minor changes. (ie not paying council members).

I just become incensed when people think. That it is a good thing allow people in power to abuse those below them. Doesn’t matter if it is the State’s Attorney General, Governor, Mayor or a lowly council person. If an injustice has been done. Which it certainly was here, Why do people take so much Joy and appreciation in those people being made to pay for something they worked their butts off to fix the problems. Stuck their necks out for the people of Flint. And the people of Flint slapped them in the face for it, then were overjoyed when they were unjustly punished.

Maybe this is why this new council doesn’t say anything when the Don makes these outrageous and erroneous claims. The last Council paid dearly for sticking their necks out, and the people of Flint where overjoyed when they got cut off. I guess I can’t blame them for just following along with most everything the mayor says and does.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

why isn't there an outside auditor for the city.
Even the school system has an outside auditor to come check the books and send that to lansing.
perhaps thats a subject that should be addressed
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:51 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I wouldn't be opposed to having an outside company responsible watching the books. Reporting monthly on actual numbers. TO both the Mayor and Council for accountability and budgeting purposes. I don't know if something like that would even be doable.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Perhaps the Finance Director should be an appointment of the City Council... Since the main function of the Council is appropriations....leave the Budget Director to the Mayor....
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

I think peter d has done a wonderful job for the city.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:14 am 
Adam

I've heard Peter D is phenomonal. I'd be pretty nervous with the council appointing someone. Look what happened when they tried to appoint the ombudsman. lol

I'm a little confused though. We have a finance director and a budget director? I wonder why we couldn't just pay Peter D 100,000 or even $90,000 to do both and save $40,000-50,000 a year.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:46 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: