FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Hey Teach (teachers car stolen)

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Still wrong about AAA. I'm a member of AAA and just requested a trip tic and maps for all the states we will be driving through on our way to FL in a few days. The only reason I receive them is because I pay a healthy fee to be a member.

At one time you could get FREE Michigan maps at the SOS office, but no more. They are the ones who guided me to the local reps.

Flint is in a sad state of existence ! By-the-way, the teacher whose car was ripped off from the parking lot. Well, they found it somewhere on the Eastside and they charged her 160.00 to get it out of impounded. What a crock of shit ! It was probably one of her student's parents'.

You're going to LOVE this ! A teacher's car was STOLEN yesterday in the parking lot at Flint Central. She is a first-year teacher who lives in Saginaw. She contacted the FPD before she called her husband. Anyway, her husband GOT THERE before the police. Hmm.. Flint Central is how far away from the downtown police department? Their excuse.. shift change? LOL

She also said this is her first and ONLY year teaching (working) in Flint ! Ironic, being that Sagnasty isn't much better !

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:04 pm

Wow, that was rather fast. And a bit more expensive than I would have thought. They found it and already had it towed to impound in ONE day. That’s got to be a record. Don is real HOT on getting those impound fees and towing profits. The police didn't happen to mention if they had any leads? Or if they bothers to lift fingerprints? Doesn't the School have Video Surveillance for the parking lot? Just curious as to where this ends up for that teacher?

GPS tracking is sounding like a good investment.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
flintteach
F L I N T O I D

She didn't know the streets because she is from Saginaw. She had to pay the impoundment fee today with no recourse from the police and the FCS. Too bad, so sad was their anwser ! And no, we don't have cameras in the parking lot. That's why I park illegally next to the fieldhouse. People are always roaming that parking lot (including the kids). And she only had PL/PD on her ride because it was an older model Buick. So, she is SOL. Last year we had episodes of vandalism in the parking lot. Break-ins, keying of cars, stealing spare tires from vans and SUVs. And what is scary is of course this happens in broad daylight. These rogues have a pair, I'm telling ya ! She told me today that she isn't coming back to work in Flint. Her daughter goes to Arthur Hill and she doesn't have the same problems we do. What gets me is this. We have at least 2 FPD cars stationed outside of the school when the dismissal bell rings but no cars are available to cruise the lot during school hours? She called the UTF and their answer was.. We're sorry ! But they are no better than Clack and Zelenko when it comes to getting answers. But they have no qualms taking your money when payday rolls around.

Flint is a mess ! The schools are a mess ! This whole state is a mess ! Billy McLemore is a good friend of mine and also the AD at Bentley. They are going to do away with his position next year because the funding isn't there. Maybe if they got rid of the 3 principals at the high school they have then there will be money for other positions.

But I have the answer though. IF WE BUILD A BRAND-SPANKING NEW SCHOOL LIKE FLUSHING, LINDEN, GOODRICH, LINDEN AND LAKE FENTON all these problems will go away ! New bricks, paint, table and chairs solve ALL the problems Rolling Eyes

Like Kevin Coster was told.. if you build it, they will come !

Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well Now your in for it! They are going to come by now and give you a ticket for parking illegally.

That's just how Flint works. Fine businesses because criminals steal siding.
Build new schools, because parents don't teach their children how to act, and they destroy the schools.
Appoint Criminals to look out for Citizens best interests.
Fine Victims because police won't catch the criminals.
Blame Don't Snitch T-Shirts for people not coming forward with Evidence, instead of making officers get out of their cars and look for it. It’s hard to get people to talk to you when you drive slowly past a crime scene where someone was just shot at and you don’t even get out of the car.
Keep covering up graffiti instead of going after the ones painting it in the first place.
Flint won’t make officers arrest someone who steals a gun and then shoots up street signs with it. But will offer a 3000.00 dollar reward for the gun when he uses it in a violent crime. Never mind going after the criminal.

That's Flint! Blame it on anything and everything else but really causes the problem in the First Place!!

So what was the condition of the teacher’s car when she got it back? I was rather surprised they found it so fast. But not surprised they didn’t waste any time getting it to the Impound to extort money out her to get it back.

I think that this should come out of the Police Budget! Every tie a car is stolen, The Police Dept should have to pay for Damage and the towing. Maybe then, they will actually begin to do some investigating into who stole the car.

Actually, THE REAL SOLUTION WOULD BE TO INVESTIGATE AND CAPTURE THE CRIMINAL THAT STOLE THE CAR AND MAKE HIM PAY!

This would eventually take care of the whole problem. Since currently, barely anything is ever done to fight car theft in Flint. It’s too big a money maker for the City! No incentive to protect the Citizens. The same can be said for Crime. They want more police. When we already have a much higher percentage of officers to citizens than the majority of Cities in the US. We have 100 more officers than the Safest City in the US and we only have 3000 less people living here. According to the Journal. Their idea is to hire more officers. More Crime equals more officers sitting around eating yogurt or chasing mechanics that are working on city Vehicles’! As long as our leaders can continually convince people that we need more tax dollars to waste on fighting crime. The City will continue to waste it.

Flint’s Police budget for 254 officers was 29.1 million dollars. Whereas, Boise Id with a population of 200-220,000 people has 275 officers and a 26.2 million dollar budget. And their crime rates are MUCH MUCH lower than Flint. They didn’t even have one murder in 2005.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Ted J wrote: ..."Flint’s Police budget for 254 officers was 29.1 million dollars. Whereas, Boise Id with a population of 200-220,000 people has 275 officers and a 26.2 million dollar budget. And their crime rates are MUCH MUCH lower than Flint. They didn’t even have one murder in 2005."

hmmm what are the differences? By the way, my cursory liik indicated 0 murders was from 2004 data. But still, FLint was shown with 39 vs 0. Vehicle thefts, were 1563 vs 529. of course Flint has around 121,000 people vs Boise's 194,000.
So Boise has lower crime rate, true. Why?

Demographics? well race-wise, Boise has 91.5% white vs 41.4 for Flint. Blacks make up 53.3% of Flint, just 0.9% in Boise. Hispanics make up 3% of Flint and 5.4% Boise. American Indians, Asians and others make up the balance, around 2% for them altogether.

Income: well Boise claims 49% earn 50,000 or more. In Flint, just 27%. So Flint, despite its relatively high penetration of "highly paid" manufacturing based jobs has 73% of population earning less than $50,000; 51% for Boise. At the lowest income range, less than $15,000, Flint has 28% of the population. Boise has only 10.2%. Since the data comes from the 2000 census, its probably fair to speculate that things have gotten worse for Flint in the past 5+ years; while Boise may have even improved from the boom I've heard the western states have experienced.

What other demographics define the background/context of these two cities? We know unemployment is a continuing problem in Flint. It exceeds both state and national limits, in February The Bureau of labor Statistics lists 8.7%; Boise's was 3.5%. Flint has 26.4% below the poverty level 2000 Census data; Boise 8.4%.

The real question I have is: IF the ECONOMIC situations of Boise & Flint were reversed; would the crime statistics also reverse? partially? Completely?

I suspect they would. When people are working, and earning a decent livable wage, the need to commit crimes diminishes. There will always be a nominal level perhaps, fueled by societal drug-use, mental-illness, crimes of passion [familial crime], but by and large, I think the economic stress of Flint causes a large amount of our out-of-proportion crime.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:59 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I would disagree on the basis of facts and evidence.

1st off. Race doesn't make someone a criminal neither does whether they have a job or not. I cannot stand people trying to either claim on one side that another race has more criminals or that side use it as a excuse for crime. People who lack respect for others or desire something for nothing are not determined by race.

We do not have even a small amount of crimes being committed so people can pay their bills. NONE! Show me one crime in the Journal in the last year that had anything to do with whether they had a job or not? You Can't? Do you really believe for a moment? That those punks, killing the elderly in the north end, were doing it because they didn't have a job? They did it because they had been conditioned to think that they could get away with any crime in Flint.

Vehicle Theft: Boise 2005 - 529 Flint 2005 - 1563
Pretty big difference don't you think?

quote:
The real question I have is: IF the ECONOMIC situations of Boise & Flint were reversed; would the crime statistics also reverse? partially? Completely?

Possibly… but not necessarily probable. If you go to the Demographic map website. and pull up poverty levels. Then overlay them with Crime. They DO NOT CORRESPOND!! Let me say this another way. Just because an area of the US has a high concentration of people below the poverty level, doesn’t mean that crime is significantly higher or lower because of it! It only matches for a few of the larger major cities. But it doesn't across the board. Poverty and Crime levels according to statistics DO NOT MATCH even closely.

Now I do I think that crime would go up some. Because, criminals who formerly had jobs now have more time to practice the "Crime Trade". But, for poverty or Unemployment to be the Cause of Crime. I cannot find any evidence of that. I'd love to see it. I'm talking real evidence. If poverty causes crime. Everyplace that there is poverty Crime should be higher. If Unemployment causes crime, everyplace where there is high unemployment Crime should be ignorantly higher! NOT JUST IN FLINT!

I'm open for some evidence. I've been researching that topic for months now. I cannot find anything the definitely proves it actually corresponds. I’ve read some portions of different writings on the subject. But, they leave so many GAPPING holes in their thesis.

I would appreciate any evidence you have that proves that theory. I agree that the Economic level in Flint and the stress it creates has an impact. But, not to the level we see it here. Crime in Flint has been allowed to go unchecked for years. Then with the current Williamson administration totally thrown the idea of fighting crime out the window. Evidenced by the 17 percent increase in 2004 and 12 percent increase in 2005. There was never a major reduction in anything other than fighting crime in Flint.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:05 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Ted, Nothing that I offered rises to the level of a proven hypothesis. Neither is anything you posted.

As an engineer, I have been taught in and respect "the scientific method".

All I did was respond to a post with some data that I picked up fairly quickly [and did not normalize] that gave some basic demographic of the two "locales".

I DO NOT believe comparing crime rates for Flint and Boise are apples to apples...to many differences in surrounding conditions. [Does Boise have a major metropolitan area of well over million people nearby? I doubt it]

Neither did I assert ANYWHERE that race = crime. i suspect there are a lot more sociologists studying the factors of crime..I heven't studied the issue.

It's my non-profound opinion, that it is a number of factors; basically that lead to the breakdown of the family, the community et al...their values, their mores and folkways. Economics is just a facet of the stressors.

of course, Ted, since you've apparently pondered the issue more than I, YMMV.
biggie
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:30 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I believe you can compare apples to apples. People to people. What' the difference between the people in Boise and the People in Flint? NOTHING

Ok then, Try Fort Wayne? Your demographics are closer to Flint Yet they still have Lower crime rates.

quote:
[Does Boise have a major metropolitan area of well over million people nearby? I doubt it]
Even if they did. What does it matter? It has no bearing on whether we have enough officers to effectively respond to crime and enforce laws.

quote:
Neither did I assert ANYWHERE that race = crime.

quote:
well race-wise, Boise has 91.5% white vs 41.4 for Flint. Blacks make up 53.3% of Flint, just 0.9% in Boise. Hispanics make up 3% of Flint and 5.4% Boise. American Indians, Asians and others make up the balance, around 2% for them altogether.

OK, Then why even mention it if it wasn't to make a point about race?

quote:
It's my non-profound opinion, that it is a number of factors; basically that lead to the breakdown of the family, the community et al...their values, their mores and folkways. Economics is just a facet of the stressors.
This is what's funny about talking with you. when I read what you've wrote to begin with you make me want to pull my hair out. Very Happy however, when you finish up your post we somehow come to the same conclusion.
Those are things that churches should be working on. Moral Fiber and back bone, The family Unit, Community etc. And with as many churches as Flint has. Flint should be the city of High Morality, Love for one another, most two parent households, etc.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:34 am 

Ted - "OK, Then why even mention it if it wasn't to make a point about race? "

***Because in science, one records all data. It helps defines the two "systems" you want to compare. Some of those criteria may be relevant to the cause and effect and some aren't, but you must account for ALL possible criteria.

***I went on to explain in my OPINION, that I feel economic forces are a greater predictor [cause] of creating the effect of crime. You disagree. Thats ok. I really didn't present a rigorous argument, just my opinion. I opined, that if the economic criteria were reversed, then we might see a decline of crime in Flint and a rise in Boise. But I also know there are other criteria involved. Thats why I posed it as a question...an open speculation. Consider it a rhetorical question, not expecting a definitive answer.***

***While people are people wherever they are, the forces [economic, political, social, religion] that shape peoples' values, thus actions do in fact vary across this country and world. I've lived in Europe, Asia and in different regions of the good ol' USA...and yes all the people I observed/met as individuals were capable of hate, love, greed, envy, unselfishness et al....
but their values as a community could indeed vary.***
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TED - "This is what's funny about talking with you. when I read what you've wrote to begin with you make me want to pull my hair out. however, when you finish up your post we somehow come to the same conclusion.
Those are things that churches should be working on. Moral Fiber and back bone, The family Unit, Community etc. And with as many churches as Flint has. Flint should be the city of High Morality, Love for one another, most two parent households, etc. "

***Ted, don't know what your hair situation is, but mine is too precarious to risk pulling out. I'm thinking on my next "hair cut" to have it shaved. But I doubt my wife could stand the shock. Remember we are each responsible for our own behavior and thus control our how we respond on this board.

That is why I put, YMMV - "Your Mileage May Vary". Clearly you and I have different experiences that shape our opinions, as to be expected. As you point out though, regardless of how we get there, we've arrived at the same point! And from there we can go forward.

biggie***
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:49 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Bigge, My problem is the way government tries to handle the problems. They attempt to make excuses for bad behavior, Ie, Poverty, upbringing, joblessness, etc. While I believe those can have some impact. The bottom line is people make decisions and should be held accountable for those decisions.

Just because my I wasn't breast feed or My father didn't love me or whatever BS excuse people use. Doesn't excuse people from committing crimes and taking responsibility for them. And it isn't governments responsibility to make up for it. Government is supposed to protect people and their rights. I have the right to live in my home and not have to worry about it getting broken into. And if it is. I pay taxes to government to provide police that are supposed to Protect and serve! Not, eat yogurt and ignore crime.

We have had a police dept with a bad attitude for more years than I can remmember. My problem with Flint Lies there. When they show up at the scene of a shooting and don't even get out of their car and see if the victum is still alive or take a statement. Or when they know exactly where a criminal who has stolen guns and property is at and they refuse to do anything. When they have criminals on video tape and they don't want the video tape so they can catch the criminals. THose are the things that drive me really insane. You can't keep crying you don't have enough help, or people won't come forward. When they don't want the evidence!
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:53 pm 
OnceARaider
F L I N T O I D

Teacher's Cars Stolen 'near' Flushing

Leaving the relevance and connection of this to other topics in this thread Q.E.D.. Rolling Eyes

At Warner Elementary on Flushing Rd. [now a condo on the S side W of Warner Rd.] in the early to mid-50's teacher's cars were stolen twice that I can recollect. One, Ms. Mulkins', ~'49 Buick was recovered 'being operated by some boys from the Reform School' which was West of Linden Rd. on Pasadena Ave.. The other was a NEW red over white '55 Ford hardtop.

More than once we were subjected to an early variant of today's "lockdown" by escapees from 'the School'.

And then one Summer folks from the UoMI appeared and dug up the East Playground forcing 5th & 6th Grades on the bus to newly open Central E.S. in town.
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:07 am 

quote:
OnceARaider schreef:
Teacher's Cars Stolen 'near' Flushing

Leaving the relevance and connection of this to other topics in this thread Q.E.D.. Rolling Eyes

why is the Flushing mascot "raider" shown as some sort of "bird"? [I am obviously not from around here].

and yes your relevance is proven far better than where Ted & i have strayed on this thread.

biggie
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:27 pm 
OnceARaider
F L I N T O I D

Posts about 8-9 posts into
http://www.urbanflint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1034&sid=06a846206ed9ae9eb67300651d7e63e5#p1034
discussed this very topic. Watch for a post titled:

First & Only Raider 'EyeCon'
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:40 pm 
rapunzel

No safety in or around Flint Public schools! A parent facilitator approached the school board on this subject last year. She had a child in 7th grade at Whittier. She was bringing her child lunch and in the parking lot a student was urinating on a vehicle. She told security and they laughed.

Her child was outgoing and an above average student prior to Whittier. Child became quiet and very unresponsive. Parent facilitator was verbally accosted in the parking lot entering Whittier by students around Central lunch period. No security at post, Facilitator went to the office to report this and only students were answering phones in the office. Secretaries on break and admin. were likely manning the lunch room.

She moved her student from Whittier to McKinley. The child excelled and became the happy young lady we were familiar with.

Later in the year at the citywide Title I parent meeting held at Holmes middle school. The parent facilitators van was stolen from the parking lot. Inside the van were instruments and a labtop owned by Flint Community schools that were loaned to her children. She was liable for these. Her van was recovered but not her childrens tools even though they were stolen on school property.

Recently, a young man was arrested with spray paint and a gun next to Williams school. Another was holding drugs. There is much gang graffitti on the park building adjacent to the school. The gangs are fighting over who owns this area.

We the community OWN this area it took much involvement just to get the police to investigate our concerns. This is a school safe ZONE anyone with guns or drugs in or near schools shall be liable for full prosecution under the law!

The largest reason we have declining enrollment in FCS is parents perceive the schools to be unsafe. At almost 1000 student loss per year it falls directly in line with 6000 people moving out of Flint in the last 5 years.

These are very rough numbers with a little investigating and true facts they will be almost directly inline.

If we can not make our students safe then the last person in left Flint please turn out the lights.
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:47 pm 
Adam

Rapunzel,

When is the next school board election? I think you should run for it!!! Or are you unpolitical? lol It annoys me how many of our organizations supposedly care about crime and schools but are to dumb to get politcal and get people elected to improve things. The Eastside business Association and East Side Weed and Seed are 2 groups that are doing good things but don't want to "get political". Unfortunately for them I am VERY political and willing to take a stand. lol

Adam Ford
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:32 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: