FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Statewide Smoking Ban Nets Second Hearing

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Statewide Smoking Ban Nets Second Hearing
Legislation that would ban smoking in restaurants and bars in Michigan received its second hearing today.

Under HB 4163, introduced by Rep. Brenda CLACK (D-Flint), the state's public health code would be amended to prohibit smoking in places of employment. In opening today's hearing, Rep. Andrew MEISNER (D-Ferndale) noted that since the House Commerce Committee last met on HB 4163, two more states have adopted statewide smoking bans — Tennessee and Oregon.

Today's hearing included testimony from impassioned advocates and opponents alike.

Dr. Ken WARNER, dean of Public Health at the University of Michigan, exhorted the panel members to live up to what he argued was their constitutional duty to protect the citizens of the state of Michigan from second-hand smoke.

"Increasing numbers of professional societies and associations are refusing to hold their conventions in states that permit smoking in bars," Warner said. He reviewed some of the facts that were presented during the last hearing on the bill by noting that second-hand smoke exposes non-smokers to arsenic, benzyne as part of a "toxic stew" of over 4,000 chemicals.

By not enacting HB 4163, Warner said lawmakers were stating that; "it's the official policy of our state that customers must inhale arsenic while dining in a restaurant."

Warner noted that several countries including Ireland and effective Jan. 1, France, have gone smoke-free. With 31 states having gone smoke free, he said it's not a matter of if, but when the state will opt to snuff out smoking in restaurants and bars.

Speaking in opposition of HB 4163 was a recent graduate of Lansing Catholic High School — Emily NABOR .

"The government's laisez-fair approach to business has developed the strong economy we have," said Nabor. "I think it's un-American for the government to tell every bar and private club to ban smoking in their establishments."

Nabor noted that neither the workers nor the patrons are forced to enter into establishments that allow smoking and that ultimately the market will reward or punish establishment owners who don't make the right decision on allowing smoking or not.

"I know that smoking is unhealthy and it affects more than the smoker," Nabor said. "Some people advocate a ban to protect non-smokers, but tobacco is a legal product. It would ludicrous to ban driving to a place of employment, or eating fatty foods at a place of employment."

Bill BARNES, an 18-year cancer survivor who lost part of his tongue and his voice box testified in favor of the bill. Barnes said he's never smoked, but had worked for years in a smoke-laden environment. When he was first diagnosed, a pathology report showed high levels of tar and nicotine despite Barnes' status as a non-smoker.

"I know what it is like to live through the fear and frustrations of having cancer," Barnes said. "The side effects of treatment have caused me to lose the ability to speak normally — so I use an electronic speaking device. Please pass HB 4163 and protect all Michigan workers from second-hand smoke."

Perhaps the most moving testimony came from Carrie KLEIN, a Kalamazoo County Assistant Prosecutor, who lost her sister, Pam, to cancer caused by second-hand smoke.

After telling her sister's tale, Klein said it's too late to help her sister, but it's not too late to "take action to help others.

"This is not a political issue and it's not an economic issue," Klein said. "It's an issue of life and death and it's the duty of government to protect citizens."

No vote on HB 4163 was taken today.

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Let the proprietors determine if they want to be smoke-free. Customers will choose which they prefer.

Excellent article, "Does Secondhand Smoke Really Cause Cancer?"

"Yet by 1998 a U.S. federal court found that the EPA demonstrated no link between secondhand smoke and cancer. . . ."

http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Secondhand-Smoke-Really-Cause-Cancer?&id=274289
Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:52 pm 
Storm
F L I N T O I D

Some people still believe the Earth is round too...
Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:56 pm 
Storm
F L I N T O I D

Being smoke-free will not drive away patrons, but it will most certainly improve our health. The percentage of people who smoke is only around 25%, so why should the rest of us put up with foul odors, pollution by smokers who discard their butts on the ground, and risk cancer, over a minority who are addicted to a disgusting habit?
Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:02 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

What tax will Granny raise to cover the lost revenue from the cigarette tax?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Other than the disgusting sight of people throwing butts out the window, smokers are actually good for those of us who don't smoke...................

The cigarette tax brings in millions in revenues for the state, plus the smokers die earlier than the rest of us, so we don't have to worry about shelling out for their pensions/social security/medicare etc.

Granted, we pay more in insurance because of their illnesses..........emphysema, lung cancer etc. but the short term expenses on their disease are not as great as the long term expenses of them living past their life expentancy:

i.e. The more people who die early, the better it is for the rest of us.

A sort of Natural/Artifical selection all rolled into one.

Mendell and Darwin couldn't have been happier.

SMOKE EM IF YOU GOT EM!

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:18 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Good points, thanks for pointing that out. I believe people should be able to choose what they want.

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Let the proprietors determine if they want to be smoke-free. Customers will choose which they prefer.

Excellent article, "Does Secondhand Smoke Really Cause Cancer?"

"Yet by 1998 a U.S. federal court found that the EPA demonstrated no link between secondhand smoke and cancer. . . ."

http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Secondhand-Smoke-Really-Cause-Cancer?&id=274289

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: