FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Is Flint in Deficit?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I heard a rumor from a reliable source that at the budget meeting today there was an audit that said for last year we were in deficit instead of a surplus. Can anyone confirm? The person I spoke to said we were supposed to have a 8 million surplus but instead had a $13 million deficit.

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:15 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
I heard a rumor from a reliable source that at the budget meeting today there was an audit that said for last year we were in deficit instead of a surplus. Can anyone confirm? The person I spoke to said we were supposed to have a 8 million surplus but instead had a $13 million deficit.

Flint budget surplus to be sliced by more than half, city officials say
Posted by Marjory Raymer July 26, 2007 15:37PM
Categories: Breaking News, Flint
FLINT -- The city's $8.9-million budget surplus is expected to drop to $4.1 million, according to Flint officials.

Flint mayoral aide Joe Conroy provided an overview of the city's budget during a 2:30 p.m. news conference today to show that the city would not have a deficit.

He was joined by several members of the finance department to dispute the interpretation of some preliminary budget figures cited by City Council members in a meeting Wednesday.

Accounting data from the end of June showed that revenues were down $13 million for the fiscal year. However, Conroy said that the city is still awaiting additional funding, including two checks from the state totaling $6 million.

The city's fiscal year ended June 30. However, the checks from the state and other funds go toward last year's budget.

When all is finalized, city officials expect revenues to be $3.4 million less than budgeted.

See complete story in Friday's Flint Journal
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/07/flint_budget_surplus_to_be_sli.html

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5514578
FLINT (WJRT) - (07/26/07)--Budget concerns are mounting at Flint City Hall. A council member says the city is facing its largest budget deficit since the state takeover five years ago.

New figures released Wednesday to City Council show there's no surplus at all. Instead, the city is facing a $13 million deficit.

But Mayor Don Williamson's administration says their numbers tell a different story.

The numbers released Wednesday by the city's accounting firm took many council members by surprise. Some say the city is clearly in crisis. The mayor's administration says that simply isn't the case.

They are preliminary financial results that some Flint City Council members say cast a frightening light on the state of the budget.

Accounting firm Plante Moran revealed to council a budget deficit of more than $13 million for the 2006-2007 fiscal year.

"It's clear in this document that the revenue has not come into the city like the mayor projected," said Councilman Scott Kincaid.

But these are not the final numbers. Auditors say the city can expect anywhere between $3.5 million to $5 million in additional state revenue and other funds. But that's raising concerns among council members.

"There's not going to be enough revenue with the fund balance to cover the deficit and make the payments -- the garbage trucks, the police cruiser, the jail -- so this mayor's going to have to make some drastic cuts," Kincaid said.

"Those numbers were thrown out last night as money we don't have," said Joe Conroy, the mayor's spokesman. "It's technically the truth but it's not actually the case."

The administration says the numbers are misleading and don't take into account revenue that is expected to arrive.

Conroy says there is no deficit. In fact, he says there is a surplus of more than $4 million. But there will be more tightening of the budget for the current fiscal year.

"In the long term we've got a big fight to make and that's why we are working hard on investing and economic development so this mayor can lead this city out," Conroy said.

There are still quite a few decisions to be made on the current budget. The final numbers on the past fiscal year won't come until December's audit.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

You have to love Joe Conroy..."It's technically the truth but it's not actually the case."

How did he say that with a straight face?
Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:04 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: