FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Since 1970 there have been 493 unsolved homides in Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

"Since 1970," Teddy notes, "there have been 493 unsolved homicides in Flint."

http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-44/1183288840264290.xml&coll=5&thispage=2

Murderers don't take up any space in the Genesee county jail.

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:14 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The statement that murderers don't take up any space in the Genesee county jail isn't totally true. One awaiting trial on a murder charge may be held at the county jail until conviction or exoneration. After conviction they should be transferred to a state prison. Sometimes it takes a long time for these cases to get to trial, so it's possible murderers could be housed in the county jail (prior to trial or plea).
Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:47 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

So help me out here. What are you trying to say?
Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I was just letting people know we have about 400 killers loose on the streets that should be in state prison. There's other crimes that result in a state prison sentence as well.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Maybe the murderers you reference are loose on the streets, or maybe they're dead by now. Maybe DNA will find some of the perpetrators already in prison for other offenses. Glad to see cold cases being investigated and hope to see more resolved.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:32 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ok here' a solution. Start enforcing the smaller laws and encouraging kids to stay in school and finish getting an education. Stop telling them there is no consquence for robbing, stealing, and disrespecting thier neighbors.

This will stop them long before they grow up and make these stupid choices.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Ok here' a solution. Start enforcing the smaller laws and encouraging kids to stay in school and finish getting an education. Stop telling them there is no consquence for robbing, stealing, and disrespecting thier neighbors.

This will stop them long before they grow up and make these stupid choices.

I disagree with you on this. I'd start with the violent crimes and work down. If you want to focus on petty crimes (walking down the street) we could fine and harass almost every citizen in Flint. Most U.S. citizens break laws on a daily basis. I think if we spent less time arresting kids walking down the street and more time arresting murderers and thieves we would be more effective. When you have an officer arresting a kid for being on the street that is time an officer is not spending arresting a kid for stealing or even killing.

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:53 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Adam, property owners in the City of Flint pay a millage for Neighborhood Policing (aka Community Policing). Serious crimes are investigated by the detectives. We need officers and detectives addressing problems in all areas, not one exclusive of the other. Don't minimize the potentially explosive situation of 10 little children playing in the street, older kids disturbing the peace with loud music or fireworks and guns, or exposing themselves in front of smaller children by urinating in public parks. There are adults who have "had it" and may take matters in their own hands if they don't get action when they call police in these situations.
Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:10 pm 
thehc
F L I N T O I D

This is so sad. It all stems from the fact that no one wants to get involved and then wonders why no one helps when it's them. One of my favorite quotes is, "All evil needs to prosper, is for good people to do nothing." This proves that point. I know this first hand as a friend of mine, Bonnie Dorland, was found murdered on Holbrook street on the north end of Flint and her murderer is still to be found. For the full story check out the piece I did on her. http://thehippieconservative.blogspot.com/2006/12/value-of-life.html I think it demonstrates why so many of these crimes go unsolved.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
It all stems from the fact that no one wants to get involved and then wonders why no one helps when it's them.

BS!!! It stems from your elected officials not wanting to face th problem. I know too many people that have begged poklice to do something. FORCED them to take statements. Gone down and argued with officers about wanting to testify. Only to get shot down, because they don't want to be bothered. Main reason! Nothing is going to happen to punish the criminal anyway.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:05 pm 
thehc
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

quote:
It all stems from the fact that no one wants to get involved and then wonders why no one helps when it's them.

BS!!! It stems from your elected officials not wanting to face th problem. I know too many people that have begged poklice to do something. FORCED them to take statements. Gone down and argued with officers about wanting to testify. Only to get shot down, because they don't want to be bothered. Main reason! Nothing is going to happen to punish the criminal anyway.
HMMM Ted, calm down. I'm not the enemy. First off, they're not MY elected officials, I haven't been able to vote in Flint since I left in 1980. However, if that's been your experience you shouldn't take it laying down. Go to the umbudsman, to the mayor, even to the press. Hell, come on down and tell your story on Studio 1714, they would love to have a story like that. I guess where I'm coming from is that by the time the police show up it's usually over. Well armed people need to react when they can, it's our only hope when our police can't or won't. My friend Joey Arnold was stabbed to death in his driveway in Flint in broad daylight while he screamed for his life....no one tried to help. I do sympathize though, none of my experiences with the police have been positive.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

LOL You obviously don't know me very well.

www.cityofflint.net

been there done that.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:30 pm 
thehc
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
LOL You obviously don't know me very well.

www.cityofflint.net

been there done that.
Very True Ted, I don't know you at all, but I do applaud your efforts. I wasn't aware you were that involved....we need more people like you. We're on the same side, let's save our ammo for the other side.

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:59 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Adam, property owners in the City of Flint pay a millage for Neighborhood Policing (aka Community Policing). Serious crimes are investigated by the detectives. We need officers and detectives addressing problems in all areas, not one exclusive of the other. Don't minimize the potentially explosive situation of 10 little children playing in the street, older kids disturbing the peace with loud music or fireworks and guns, or exposing themselves in front of smaller children by urinating in public parks. There are adults who have "had it" and may take matters in their own hands if they don't get action when they call police in these situations.

Good points but I still think we need to prioritize better. We could still arrest children for playing on the street which I'm not very supportive of I just think we should have one more officer investigating people that kill our children instead of arresting children for being on the street.

I would like to maximize the pathetic situation of children not having places to play when that could be easily remedied. I estimate the city could reinstall a basketball hoop in my neighborhood for $50-$250 dollars but for some reason we don't spend parks money that is available to be spent.

I also think that killing is a more serious crime than drug dealing. I think we should make the sentences for killing someone more severe than drug dealing. You can get life in prison in Michigan for coccaine but not for regular manslaughter.

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: