FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: City Council Talks Compensation...

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Has anyone else been watching the meetings? They are looking into whether the City of Flint pays appointees and Department heads big enough bucks. They are looking at other comparable cities in Michigan. Lansing for one. Lansing has 119,000 people compared to our 121,000. During the meetings they continually use 6 year old data for Flint's numbers. Not up to date data.

So I guess it's ok for me to use that same old data also.

Lansing median income: a household in the city was $34,833, and the median income for a family was $41,283 The per capita income for the city was $17,924

Flint median income: a household in the city was $28,015, and the median income for a family was $31,424 The per capita income for the city was $15,733.

Wow, we may have a few thousand more people. But we make significantly less in income.

Poverty rates -

Lansing: 16.9% of the population and 13.2% of families were below the poverty line

Flint: 26.4% of the population and 22.9% of families were below the poverty line.

Density -

Flint: 48,744 households, and 30,270 families residing in the city

Lasing: 49,505 households, and 28,366 families residing in the city.

So are they going to compare apples to apples. A city with a good economy to a city with a piss poor economy? Are they going to make sure the elitists are well taken care of, and continue to crap on the working people of this city who took wage and benefit concessions during the state take over?

I guess we will wait and see?
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I thought that they had shot this proposal down... I don't get to all of the Committee meetings but I do attend all of the Council meetings and don't recall them talking about it there.....

I think that pay should be equal to qualifications.... So most of the folks in the Administration are probably over paid slightly....
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

They are still doing more research in committee meetings.
Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I had also forgotten that Kurtz had done a wage study when he first got her about 3-4 years ago.... As I recall... the Administrative positions got raises at that time... So my question is, what has happened in the last few years that would have thrown our wage scale so far out of whack?

Does anyone have any thoughts.....
Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well,... see,... I still don't get it? Why do the people at the top keep getting raises or are being told they don't make enough. But the people who took cuts in wages and benefits still haven't gotten any of them back.

What is it about these people at the top. That makes them so critical to city government. When I go in to pay my water bill. I want someone there to take the money. Not have to wait 40 minutes for the two people working to get through the 20 people ahead of me.

Are these appointees and department heads really making or saving the City any money? What decisions have they made that justify what they make now? let alone justify a pay increase?

Hmmm,. after thought... Japan's auto manufacturing CEO's and EXEC's make so much less than the Big Three's CEO's and EXEC's They could be considered on welfare comparably. Just because Lansing or grand rapids pays their administrator "X" doesn't mean Flint's administrator should receive the same. Also, when you look at the BIG picture with the auto manufacturing example. The Japanese are kicking the BIG THREE's Collective ASSES! But we don't hear them crying they don't make as much as their American Counterparts!

Hopefully some else has more to say about this
Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:35 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: