FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Breaking news: UAW to vote to close Delphi in Flint...

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

Troy, MI (AHN)-Delphi Corporation has reached a tentative agreement with its unionized workers that will help the company emerge from bankruptcy protection in part by closing some plants represented by the United Auto Workers.

Union members are expected to vote next week on the deal, which comes about a month before the U.A.W. is scheduled to begin negotiations on a new contract with Detroit's automakers and caps two years of negotiations.

Details of the deal have not been released officially; workers will hear of them on Monday, possibly averting a strike that could cripple the company.

Bloomberg News reports Delphi will keep plants open in Lockport and Rochester, New York; Grand Rapids, Michigan; and Kokomo, Indiana, citing sources close to the negotiations

Plants, including those in Sandusky and Dayton, Ohio, and Adrian and Flint, Michigan , will close, they said.

"If ratified, we believe this agreement will be a significant milestone in our transformation and a major step towards emergence," John Sheehan, Delphi's chief restructuring officer, said in a statement.

Troy, Michigan-Based Delphi, which employs about 17,000 U.A.W. workers and is General Motors' largest supplier of parts, originally wanted to reduce pay from about $27 an hour to as low as $12.50.

UAW workers who now make nearly $28 an hour, would receive cash payments up to $50,000 to accept wage cuts to $14 to $18.50 an hour, also a part of the deal reportedly.

Last week, Delphi asked a bankruptcy judge for five more months to file its restructuring plan so that it can resolve its labor issues.
Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:01 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for passing on the bad news Roscoe, lets hope this isn't true and the plant will remain open.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Thanks for passing on the bad news Roscoe, lets hope this isn't true and the plant will remain open.

its been widely reported, perhaps mis-interpreted about Flint-East.

If I understand the situation; Delphi will close the plant from their perspective; but GM has assured the plant that IT, or [more likely] a third-party designee will maintain work at the plant until 2015.

I suspect they've looked at the parts/contracts and peoples seniorities to determine that date. GM/Delphi has a TON of employes, both salary and hourly who are approaching the "traditional" retirement periods....a big slug of people near the threshold of retiring and leaving the active roles. That helps employment levels, but not the legacy cost [health care] millstone around the company's neck. They definitely are relying on some developments in national health care et al to minimize their overhead burden.

Anyway, the local people seemed pleased with the situation, and IIRC, they approved the proposal.

So, they made the best of a bad situation. An 8 year reprieve. A lot can happen and I suspect a number of people are counting on that.

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:18 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Biggie I think its a good thing to have it opened until at least 2015. This allows people to keep working there, taxes to keep rolling into the city coffers. It also allows us to be pro active and try to get new work at that location.

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
laryholland
F L I N T O I D

People don't realize that unless a company actually gets enticed to stay in Michigan or come to Michigan in the first place by huge tax incentives that they really aren't interested in Michigan. Michigan has a bad general tax policy along with many of it's current policies and that is why so many exceptions have to be made to either keep or entice new business to come here.

Michigan doesn't take care of the family unit, they instead subsidize massive amounts of zero-labor production, create single-parent homes, and cannabilize its children, seniors, and middle-class.

Wake up Michigan, Delphi is just ONE of the many companies that either will flee Michigan or cave in onto itself from not being able to compete in the new market place.

I wrote two really good articles about some of the policies:
" Venga A Michigan " and also "Michigan House Democrats: Offering to Steal From State's Fixed-Income, Elderly, and Poor Families"

Check them out because it certainly affects Flint Citizens just as much as the next group.

Lary Holland
Personal Website: http://www.laryholland.com/
Family Law and Policy Blog http://www.fightfoc.com/serendipity
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: