FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Presentation- Walk through of Whaley Pool

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

At the Eastside Business Assocation- March 22 at 12 noon there will be a presentation of the Walkthrough of Whaley Pool. Community members put together a slide show of pictures of the graffiti, vandalism,evidence of fires set inside this building directly adjacent to Williams school. When the city closed down this building they did not drain the water pipes, the basement is full of water and sewage. Vandals have easy access into this building and there has recently been an arrest for a gun and drugs in what should be a "Safe Zone" next to an Elementary school.
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:01 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

rapunzel,
How about posting some of these meetings that are open in the evenings?
Crime watch etc.,

I thought there was something coming up soon?
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

As for crime watch meetings.. before I left Council I had most of the meetings that take place in the 4th Ward placed on the website... go to the Council section of cityofflint.com and click on 4th Ward.... they are listed there....
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

The city may sue those that did a walkthough of the closed pool at Whaley park. The pictures of the vandalism, graffitti and the evidence of fires set in the pool area connected to a school building was seen as trespassing.

The community intent was to facilitate discussion and solutions between the city and the schools to remedy this dangerous situation to our public school children.

We did not have the media walk through with us. The city had been contacted numerous times to address this. We had hoped to bring this presentation to council and the Flint Board of Ed to fix this not to cause a law suite.

We were hoping to promote safe zones next to Flint Public Schools. I have talked with many police and prosecutorial officials to enforce safe zones and have them posted.

The city response is to sue caring community instead of the criminals.

The media will now have the story. Watch ch 66!
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:31 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The city may sue those that did a walkthrough of the closed pool at Whaley park. The pictures of the vandalism, graffiti and the evidence of fires set in the pool area connected to a school building was seen as trespassing.

Sounds like a good story for my website? Any ideas on who is behind the legal action? Whose toes did you step on? I don't like writing about something I personally didn't witness or wasn't already in "Print" I know you've shy'd away form posting your real name and information. (as I prefer to ONLY use my real name when posting on here) If you’d be willing to write something out with your name on it. I'd sure be willing to give it it's own page.

Interesting though. A Public School, being toured by the PUBLIC with the intent to encourage discussion about the problems. Is going to be sued? Is this coming from the Mayor's office or the School Administration? Would love to print some facts.

Personally, I'm surprised they haven't tried to sue me from something. LOL I'm guessing, that if they did. All of the information I have posted would become more exposed. They would rather I was a tiny enigma, without more than an internet audience. LOL But that is about to change. Smile
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Ted, back in the day when schools and parks were built next to each other the thought was that both orgs. would work together to promote safety and community education. Safe places for children to play and learn. Great concept.

Today, there is a no care ZONE. The school says that is city property and the City says well the schools use that site. So instead of both the city and the schools working together to maintain these sites NO MAINTENANCE IS DONE!

This has led to dangerous situations next to public schools.
In the past in Buchanan's ward, guns were found by children in a park adjacent to a school on a church sponsored Easter egg hunt. Thank You, Jesus no children were killed.

A Quran was found on the City playground next to Potter School. The playground was in need of wood chips for two years to the tune of over 8 children's broken bones. We finally got a few, a light layer of wood chips on Sandy Hills election day. I spoke with Bob Cook prior and on that day.. I showed him trash bins that had been lit on fire still they have not been emptied. Not to mention rubbers on the play ground ect. One child gets stuck with a needle and you can bet I will tell that parent the exact date I approached Council on record regarding this.

Fast forward to today's issue...Whaley Park Pool this is City property directly adjacent to a public elementary school. Many calls were placed to the city and the police over the years that this vandalism has taken place.

Recently we got a new community police officer that listened.THE day after a crime watch meeting he investigated that site. He arrested two young men one for pot and one for a gun they both had paint spray cans. The EBA has attended court proceedings on the 18 year old that had a gun during school time within a school safe zone. This law asks for no leniency for criminals in a Drug free school zone. FULL prosecution required.

I am working towards posting all areas next to schools as drug free zones. Posted or not the law applies.

So after this arrest some did a walk through and took pictures of this City Park site. The door connecting this site to the school was photographed. It showed fire damage to this doorway and fire estingushers set next to the door that the fire out.

So we showed a slide show at a meeting to improve a partnership between
the city and the schools. We would show this at council and at the Board of Ed.

Now the either the mayor or someone on his staff says we did this to discredit the mayor. We only want safe schools. We could have had media to walk through with us. We did not do that .. so to encourage community involvement.

Peace!
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:38 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Far as I'm concerned, The mayor doesn't need anyone's help to embarrass him. He does just fine on his own.

Arresting paper carrier in City Hall.
Announcing a "Major Reduction in Crime in 2005" when it actually went up another 12 percent.
"Their stealing your money"
etc,

You are correct. If you had wanted to embarrass him you would have had media present. Unfortunately, that is the only way you will ever get any response form Downtown.

The problem with the Mayor's office is. He says one thing and does another. Constantly. In order to keep peoples minds off what he is really doing. He throws up smoke screens. (Audits, fictional federal grand jury investigations, refusal to speak to people that disagree with him, etc,)

It's not like you can go downtown, outline a problem and present many possible solutions. Then expect that they will actually do anything to resolve the issue. You have to get the Flint Journal Involved or TV 12 or Fox 66. Otherwise, you'll be ignored.

The idea and meaning of Team work in his administration is foreign. Unless you understand Don's dictionary. When Don says Teamwork it means. "They did exactly what I told them to do" Initiative is discouraged. While this is not a good leadership trait. I had thought this might make him exactly the Mayor flint needed. (Boy was I wrong).

I guess that will be my first apology on my website. I have a section for people to point out anything I've posted that is incorrect or Misleading. I guess I should Apologize for voting for him for Mayor. However, I believe Flint should apologize for not finding someone better to run against him. It's a sad situation when Don was the best choice out of the Bunch. I really did have some high hopes.
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:41 am 

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
rapunzel,
How about posting some of these meetings that are open in the evenings?
Crime watch etc.,

I thought there was something coming up soon?

probably was the task force meeting that you missed!!! I will check on the dates of this next months meetings at 7 pm that apply.

You said before you were not interested. I try to schedule group meetings at 7pm that you might attend. Still no show?

persistance is omnipotent.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:55 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: