FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Anti-Business ordinance, subpoena investigation

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

I'm sending this as an email to Ehren.

http://www.cityofflint.com/clerk/ord3436.pdf

I am extremely hostile to this ordinance and other anti business ordinances like it. I feel this could be the worst odinance on the city books. In it it specifically states "and whereas the frequency of some of these sales in some cases amount to a HOME BUSINESS in violation of the ordinances of the city of Flint." This ordinance is specifically designed to kill some businesses and jobs in the city of Flint.

Why this should be repealed:
1. We need more businesses and more jobs in this city not less.
2. Many big businesses started as samll home businesses like Dell computers.
3. We have many poor people and others in this city that could benefit from cheap garage sale goods.
4. Garage sales and home businesses are a way to bring people into the city and create jobs as well.
5. Potentially people coming to garage sales from outside of Flint could support other home and non home businesses.
6. We have about 25 to 30 thousand or more poor people in this city. I think we should give them more opportunities to start home businesses and buy cheap goods not less.
7. This ordinance was written before EBAY. People in Flint could sell garage sale items on Ebay and thus bring revenue and jobs into Flint.

I also feel the council should do a subpoenea investigation into the poor investigation of the mother who's son was executed and not just referrals.

I also feel the city should work closer with Walter Milton Flint schools superintendent. He is contacting all fortune 500 companies to set up partnerships. Has the city of Flint done this to try and bring in jobs?

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:33 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Adam,
I don't see how a rumage sale ordinance is killing small business in the city of Flint. So Im' not with you on that.

I do think of the little old lady that lived over on Missouri Ave. She was always out there selling her nicknacks every month. Smile. She still continued even after the ordinance was adopted.

I am concerned that we actually have Flint Police Officers enforcing such an ordinance.

quote:
SECTION 12.249 ENFORCEMENT

THE FLINT POLICE DEPARTMENT AND THE DEPARTMENT OF PBLIC WORKS’ SHALL HAVE THE DUTY OF ENFORCING THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ORDINANCE.

What a RIDICULOUS WASTE of Police dept TIME, ENERGY, and RESOURCES!!!

Now about this investigation:

quote:
I also feel the council should do a subpoenea investigation into the poor investigation of the mother who's son was executed and not just referrals.

The City Council doesn't have the Authority to do any type of investigation into this matter. It is a Police Matter! It falls completely under the Authority of the Mayor to look into it. That is why they can only do a "referral".
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Actually the Council has very broad investigative powers that cover just about any business that is conducted by the City of Flint.... It is a little used power
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ok, But I've never hear of them looking into Poilc matters. but that's only that I know of.

Division of powers, etc
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

Ted,
I feel you're completely dead wrong on this one. Unless Eric Mays is a complete liar the city council did actually use the subpoena power to find out what was going on at the police department. This was under the last council by councilman Taylor. I doubt this power will ever be used by the current council but I feel it should. According to Mays, councilman Taylor found out the police deartment did not have enough investigators to actually investigate citizen complaints. Apparenlty that is the current situation up in Saginaw and may still be the current situation in Flint.

In addition I have heard Terry Bankert say the council does have subpoena investigation powers. Perhaps if they would more actively investigate citizens complaints like they have the abilitiy to we wouldn't need an ombudsman as bad. To repeat the city council does have the power to use subpoena powers to actively investigate citizen complaints they just choose not to. This could make the difference in a $200,000 a year Ombudsman office and a $100,000 a year ombudsman office if the council would actually investigate complaints instead of doing referrals over and over again.

As far as home based businesses, does the company Dell computer mean anything to you? I am using one right now. That company started as a home based business and is now in the fortune 500. There have been many other successful businesses that started as small businesses ad many small businesses can start as home based businesses beleive it or not. In addition I feel our ordinances hurt me severely to say the least. It would be nice if I had the same ability to advertise as our gangs do in this city. In case you don't know we do actually have high unemployment in this city.

In addition adding regulations and fees to garage sales and other types of home businesses helps limit their numbers. in case people don't know garage sales are a way to buy decent goods for dirt cheap. I think our 25,000-30,000 poor people could use more cheap goods like myself who am not as poor although I do at least have a car to drive to Wal mart unlike a lot of my fellow citizens that don't have a car or a computer.

I realize allowing more home businesses is definately not a Save All whatsoever but I'd like to hear everyone elses ideas on job creation and how to create about 30,000 or more jobs for our poor people and others in this city in addition to replacing the high paying union ones that we are consistently loosing.

On a side note they have no problems with small home based business in India where there are tons of them. Unfortunately for us many of those small businesses are growing and beginning to take our country's jobs.

Lastly from what Mays said I'm curious if Don Williamson didn't start out with a home based tire retreading business??? The type of business that can not happen in Flint just like a Dell computer can not happen in Flint with this ordinance and others similar to it!!!

Adam Ford
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:13 pm 
Adam

Sorry for the overkill on the council thing but this is from our charter:

Sec. 3-205 INVESTIGATION.
The City Council may make investigations into the affairs of the City and the conduct of any City agency pursuant to Section 3-206 [of this Charter].

(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-74)

Sec. 3-206 INVESTIGATIVE POWERS.
A. The City Council may subpoena witnesses, administer oaths, take testimony and require the production of evidence in any matter pending before it or any of its committees.

B. To enforce a subpoena or order for production of evidence or to impose any penalty prescribed for failure to obey a subpoena or order, the City Council shall apply to the appropriate court.

(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-74)[/url]
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:21 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Yes they can look into matters involving the police Dept. I've never heard of them looking into why a criminal complaint is not being resolved. Or doing their own investigation as to why a crime is not being investigated. I realize they have subpoena power and investigative. I just don't see how the City council would become involved in any measurable difference when My house is broken into and the police dept refuses to investigate?

I kind of understand what your getting at. But I do not understand how that ordinance really has any affect on Small Business. I do think it's a bad idea not to allow people to have home based businesses. But, where do you draw the line? When the semi's loading and off loading your mail order stuff are block the neighbors drive way? I hate to admit it. But sometimes government has to legalize common sense. And make the decisions for some people. Where say you or I would say. "My Home based business has outgrown my house I need to expand". Others might not see it that way. And don't mind being inconsiderate to their neighbors, up all night making noise and blocking the street.

I do agree though that this ordinance does go a bit too far. But what can we really do? Complain, Attempt to influence. You can see how well we did with the Ombudsman issue. We won the position. But, we've inherited a nightmare, with the way this council is handling the situation. It’s almost as if, since the City Council didn’t want the position in the first place. They’ve turn the whole process into a circus to prove their point. Because most people don’t see what is really happening. They only see that it is a problem and the newspaper plays it to the hilt. With their attitude of wanting to hire more Cops to eat yogurt, and waste time bullshitting with mechanics or show up at a crime scene and scream at you for wanting to give them evidence.. Instead of having an Ombudsman.

Gotta really love that Flint Urinal Sometimes. Lack of Facts total opinion based in some drug induced hallucination.
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:10 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: