FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: VIDEO: UAW Bargaining Uncensored

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Search Archive.org for: "2007 UAW Bargaining Convention"

Or click:

2007 UAW Bargaining Convention - Part 1

2007 UAW Bargaining Convention - Part 2

2007 UAW Bargaining Convention - Part 3

More to follow . . .

SoldiersOfSolidarity.com
Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:22 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unions have run their course and need to die on the vine.

It is not the responsibly of a business or corporation to take care of people from cradle to grave, but only to follow the laws.

If a person feels he or she is not treated "fairly" then he or she can find another job.

Businesses are in business to make money not take care of its worker. A job is a by-product of providing service or producing product.

Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Drinking the Kool-aid – and selling it! Look out above, Jonesy, this guy's got his eye on your corner office. Yes, you'll be rubbing, um, shoulders with the rest of the happy and stylish powersuits in no time. Too oblivious to realize just how half-brained a statement like "a job is a by-product of providing service or producing product" really is. You'd think someone with such a MSNBC mentality would know that coins have two sides. Derrr, businesses are a by-product of people (we'll call them workers) being willing to make the products or provide the services.

Is it their responsibility to take care of employers from cradle to the country club? And what exactly, if not to build stronger communities, create better lives for individuals and society as a whole, is all that money for anyway? To reinvest? In what? Kool-aid?

You'll be doing the due-diligence on that one day when you'll look up and find that the machines that drive your precious porfolio have abruptly stopped. And you'll say, "you're not treaty me and my boys fairly." And we'll say, "Find another job."
Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:38 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Just think if employers in America did not have to pay for health care for their employee's how much it would help them. It would make them more competitive and help the Auto Industry out.

I hope we demand UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE!

Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Oh my goodness Steve! Don't you know that to bash the Unions in this town is akin to blasphemy!!!!!!!!

Even if what you say does make complete, 100% sense.

There is NO place for rational, reasonable, common sense business decisions in this town!

If you want to live somewhere in which fair business practices that benefit both the business owners and the employees are the norm........you must move out of Michigan.

Hmmmmmmm............and yet Michigan is falling behind the rest of the country.............maybe this Union mentality ain't all it's cracked up to be?

All facetiousness aside......we need to start standing up to the spoiled Unions and start telling them to kiss our ass............they've done enough damage to this town/state. If somebody can't see that.....they're blind.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:00 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah heath care would be a hell of a lot cheaper because people would be paying with their own money.

Mr Eashoo what sort of heath care do your provide for your employees and are they part of any union?

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Just think if employers in America did not have to pay for health care for their employee's how much it would help them. It would make them more competitive and help the Auto Industry out.

I hope we demand UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE!

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Capitalism is the only economic model that behaves exactly like a gargantuan crack-fiend. And real unionism (certainly not today's UAW and absolutely not today's government) is one of the few ways to protect people (remember those?) against the giant's constant and belligerent need for a fix.

RELATED:

The Price Of Poor Union Management

The Wall Street Journal writes this morning that GM (GM), Ford ( F) and Chrysler will seek huge concessions from the UAW this Fall. They claim a disadvantage of about $30 an hour compared to their Asian competitors due to pension, health care, and other labor costs.

The UAW has already sacrificed 70,000 jobs to the car industry's restructuring and it may be unwilling to go much beyond that. The conventional wisdom is that the union has to give further because if any of the Big Three is forced into Chapter 11, the job loss will be catastrophic.

But, the conventional wisdom is often wrong. Ford recently raised $23 billion. Its market share may be dropping but its balance sheet is in reasonable shape and it is in the process of selling Jaguar and Range Rover. That could add several billions more to its war chest. Chrysler is being sold to hedge fund Cerberus. The financial firm has said it will not seek labor cuts beyond those that Daimler has already scheduled. And, the UAW may look at Cerberus as a financially sound owner, as it should.

GM claims that its restructuring is already on the road to success. It has cut about $9 billion in annual costs and is doing well overseas in countries like China.

The UAW may fairly ask why Detroit has designed cars that the market does not want. Drops in the US share of domestic car companies is not a labor problem, it is a product management problem. But, to some extent, the UAW is being asked to pay a price for that in upcoming negotiations.

If the UAW is smart, the will come to the bargaining table with one message. We did not get you into the mess and we will not suffer to get you out. The Big Three agreed to past labor contracts when they saw restructuring all around them in industries from newspapers to steel. The cost of labor in those segments of the economy dropped over two decades ago. And, the union can point the finger at Detroit management for failing to get the pulse of the market, building SUVs and pick-ups that sold when gas was cheap, but not creating small cars for a market that would be hit by rising oil prices over time.

If the union has to strike the industry to make its point, it may. This is a last stand, and the UAW has some moral and economic ground where it can place its feet.

RELATED:

Roast the Vultures of Wall Street

"This growing inequality is not the type of thing that a democratic society can really accept without addressing." Alan Greenspan, then chairman of the Federal Reserve, made this point to a Congressional Joint Economic committee hearing in June 2005.

Inequality? The word didn't even begin to paint reality's picture in 2005. And it's worse today. The richest 300,000 people pocket as much income as do the poorest 150,000,000 people - one half of the population.

The only thing Greenspan and his ilk have done, other than talk about it, is help the inequality grow. Government policies threw money at Wall Street. And Wall Street financiers turned around and used it to buy and sell whole companies as though they were pieces on a board game.

Cerberus buys up Chrysler in a closed-door deal with Daimler. Before all the papers are even signed, Cerberus takes out a monster group of loans worth 62 billion dollars - using Chrysler, itself, as collateral.

What's Cerberus going to do with all that money? No one knows, since the company is a "private" company - it doesn't even have to produce any books to show what it does with all the money. But it's a safe bet that the top guys in Cerberus are going to pay themselves a very tidy sum for working out this deal. In fact, it's the purpose of such deals - buy up a company, take out a loan to finish the deal, rake off ten or so billion in profit and then dump the company. All behind closed doors.

And what's Cerberus going to do when the loans come due? Take out an even bigger loan until the interest payments get so big that Chrysler is strangled - and then dump it. Just like interest payments made on other loans strangled big companies like Bethlehem Steel or Kmart.

Yes, big companies like Ford, GM and Chrysler have always falsified their books. It's not a different system today. It's just worse.

Fighting to maximize profit, high finance is no longer interested in buying up companies in order to manufacture products that return a profit. Now they just buy up companies in order to sell them, making billions on the deal - even if they have to take the companies into bankruptcy to do it.

So, yes, it's worse today. Worse because these wealthy so-and-so's have been getting away with it for so long, they keep getting more outrageous in their demands.

The auto companies actually dared last week to spread the word they intend to cut wages and benefits by nearly 40% in the contract coming up. What arrogance!

Almost exactly 30 years ago, the then mayor of Detroit explained that the riots that had struck other cities would never hit Detroit, since things were fine in Detroit. People were content.

He couldn't have been more wrong - and the rocks, bottles and flames that drove him out of the city proved it.

Workers are not content today. And every one of us knows it. We simmer, waiting for our pot to boil over.
Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:24 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: