FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint city jail to reopen crackdown on crime to begin Monday

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flint city jail to reopenNew crackdown on crime to begin Monday
By Cathy Shafran
FLINT (WJRT) - (05/18/07)--A new crackdown on crime in Flint begins Monday with the opening on the Flint city lockup. Police say the move should send a signal to criminals that there will be serious implications for all crimes now.

The Flint city lockup -- which has been closed for decades by budget cuts -- is preparing for its first permanent opening since the '80s.

Since it cost more than $1 million to operate each year. The lockup often became one of the budget items cut when the city faced hard economic times.

The knowledge that the cells were being kept empty by budget constraints left police with little backup for threats for arrests for misdemeanors and non-violent crimes.

When the lockup reopens this Monday, it will have new jail guards, an upgraded security system and a new system of interacting with local judges.

The police chief says it will send a message to all criminals that there will now be repercussions for their actions.

The new city lockup will have 120 beds. It can house someone who has been arrested for non-violent crimes for up to 72 hours.

City officials are touting the lockup as a way to cut down on the potential of more violent crimes.
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5318625

Post Fri May 18, 2007 11:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
KW
F L I N T O I D

'bout time! Exclamation
Post Sat May 19, 2007 1:54 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Anyone asking how we are going to pay for this? Or what the effects will be on the county jail? Anyone care?
Post Sun May 20, 2007 8:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

There was a Community Budget Hearing in City Council Chambers on Tuesday, May 9, 2007--notice came in the mail with semblance of proposed budget and phone numbers for city government and all city council members.

On February 17, 2007 there was an article in the FJ where it was stated "The city will reopen its jail May 21 as part of Mayor Don Williamson's declaration Friday of a "safety emergency." There have been other articles and news stories, including comments from County Commissioners, Sheriff Pickell and others. Look in the FJ and TV12 and other station archives online.

Where have you been?
Post Sun May 20, 2007 5:27 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
There was a Community Budget Hearing in City Council Chambers on Tuesday, May 9, 2007--notice came in the mail with semblance of proposed budget and phone numbers for city government and all city council members.

On February 17, 2007 there was an article in the FJ where it was stated "The city will reopen its jail May 21 as part of Mayor Don Williamson's declaration Friday of a "safety emergency." There have been other articles and news stories, including comments from County Commissioners, Sheriff Pickell and others. Look in the FJ and TV12 and other station archives online.

Where have you been?

Right, so I'll ask again, does anyone know how we are going to pay for this (in full)? Does anyone know the full ramifications on the county system?

I was at the budget hearings where it was stated that there would be a $500,000.00 shortfall in operating the jail. In other words, the revenues from the junkyard would not sustain the opening of the jail.
Post Sun May 20, 2007 7:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets get these people off the STREETS!

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Did anyone go to the hearings?
quote:
00SL2 schreef:

Where have you been?

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Did anyone go to the hearings?
quote:
00SL2 schreef:

Where have you been?

Thefre is a special place there and in hadies for Pam Loving, we have 177,000 reasons to want her punished.
Post Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:25 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: