FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Lockup Stays Filled up

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-44/1181053246245040.xml&coll=5

FLINT - In the two full weeks that Flint's city jail has been reopened, it's done a booming business: A total of 386 people have been lodged on a total of 1,000 charges.

A holding facility with capacity for about 120, where a suspect could be held for 72 hours, the lockup was opened full time May 21 by order of Mayor Don Williamson. The mayor announced that decision in February after a particularly violent weekend when four people were killed.

According to statistics released by Hagler, among those arrested were people wanted on 42 felony charges. Another 117 of the total number were considered new felony arrests.

Just more than 500 of the charges were on outstanding misdemeanor cases, while others were arrested on 203 new misdemeanors. More than 100 arrests were on bench warrants issued by local judges for people who failed to appear in court.

The arrests have helped swell the number of inmates lodged in the Genesee County Jail, but Sheriff Robert Pickell said that was expected and local judges have been working to try to keep the numbers within manageable limits.

Since the city lockup opened, he said, there have been days where as many as 20 new suspects at a time have been brought into the county jail from the city.

If the county jail exceeds about 580 inmates for more than a week, it is considered overcrowded and the sheriff is required to release inmates.

"Right now, we've got 639 people in jail and another 11 in holding, for a total of 650," Pickell said.

Hagler has said the lockup is essential to show local lawbreakers they will be placed in custody and held until they can be arraigned on charges, rather than just given appearance tickets and released.

He said there are thousands of outstanding warrants on file for the arrests of people who have been charged with crimes in Flint.
Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:49 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

This is GREAT news, I hope they keep up the good work down there!
This is a very important part of getting crime under control, now with the 25 new police officers things should get better.. However, we need to get more income and jobs here for it to help!

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: