FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Woodrow stanley talking about ombudsman on radio 1570

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Stanley is talking about the Flint Ombudsman office on radio 1570

call 251-1570 am on Friday
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Although I was not impressed with Woodrow's performance [he seemed way to rushed on the topics, introducing too many simultaneously etc]...
he is supposed to be back on Monday, same time, same number 251-1570.

Hopefully, he'll revisit the ombudsman topic, as he rushed too many callers on their points etc.

I was a bit surprised considering he was supposed to have had a radio show in the past, as to how poorly he performed.

It almost seemed like a continuous stream of consciousness, and it seemed like he never took a breath..even during commercials.

I did appreciate Councilman Neeley's remarks, and it seems he had a reasonable approach to the whole situation, including his performance on the actual votes.

It was even more illuminating when a constituent of his called in and criticized him as a black man, for voting for a white man. To his great credit, Mr Neeley refused to engage in any form of racisim, and said he voted for candidates [the white male candidate not the first or only candidate to get his support] that he felt were qualififed. PERIOD. Still its clear racisim exists on both of the equation. And a sorry thing anywhere it exists.

That said, clearly after ONLY partially reviewing more than 70 candidates [my understanding is that not all 9 council members interviewed all candidates], there should have a been a winnowing process whereby a short list of likely winners should have been developed before a vote. That short list of candidates should have had background checks performed, and copies of their interviews/resumes available to ALL council members before the actual vote. Perhaps that may have reduced the rounds, but wouldn't, unfortunately, prevent council members from using self-interest as a criteria versus city-interest.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:02 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
That said, clearly after ONLY partially reviewing more than 70 candidates [my understanding is that not all 9 council members interviewed all candidates], there should have a been a winnowing process whereby a short list of likely winners should have been developed before a vote. That short list of candidates should have had background checks performed, and copies of their interviews/resumes available to ALL council members before the actual vote. Perhaps that may have reduced the rounds, but wouldn't, unfortunately, prevent council members from using self-interest as a criteria versus city-interest.

Nice Point!

quote:
It was even more illuminating when a constituent of his called in and criticized him as a black man, for voting for a white man. To his great credit, Mr Neeley refused to engage in any form of racisim, and said he voted for candidates [the white male candidate not the first or only candidate to get his support] that he felt were qualififed. PERIOD. Still its clear racisim exists on both of the equation. And a sorry thing anywhere it exists.

I really didn't know what to think of Councilman Neeley until now. He did handle that situation professionally and reasonably. I'm going to have to make a point to sometime meet him and shake his hand. I believe his responses where from the heart. Those comments from leaders in this community do a lot to help bring hope to the City of FLint. If we could just get everybody to think that same way. I believe most of Flint's problems could be solved. I touched on this in one of my posts at http://www.cityofflint.net/revitalization.htm. Maybe Councilman Neely could accomplish something like this.

quote:
Hopefully, he'll revisit the ombudsman topic, as he rushed too many callers on their points etc.

I felt rushed too, I had one more point I wanted to but wasn't expecting to get put right on and was caught off guard and didn't get to make my second comment. But, he doesn't do this kind of thing everyday. I'll cut him some slack for now. Mot people including myself become somewhat nervious when they are talking and then there is "Dead Space" It takes time to learn the business. He isn't a dummy. I'm sure he'll get the hang of it.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Sheldon Neeley has strong support from the Mott park assoc. He is very much his own man and an independant candidate. We could only wish for this across the board. If I had been in his ward I would have voted for him.

I would argue that the process for council elections needs to changed. Primary for all wards then all remaining in the hat and then only the best -highest count citywide win council seats.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:57 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: