FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Vandalism solutions in Holly.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Did anyone read the articles in the Sunday’s Journal? Holly seems to take a different approach than Flint when it comes to graffiti and vandalism. There were two articles in the paper. One was about a big meeting on graffiti held at UofM. The other was the story about Holly investigating and prosecuting the vandals that hit the National Cemetery.

Which do you think works better?

A. Paint over the graffiti as soon as it goes up and hope that eventually they will get tired of spray paint the graffiti?
B. Investigate and catch the perpetrators and make them pay for their actions?

I vote B.

WHY? I know “B” works. I live on the eastside. “A” doesn’t work. It just shows you’ve got time to waste repainting the same buildings every three months. And don’t you think we could have picked a cheerier color than crap brown?
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well, No takers? Or is this too hot of a subject?
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Jerry, You can not compare defacing the graves of veterans at a national cemetary to graffiti on a party store.

I was appalled at the article today of protesters at a soldiers funeral.

Can you imagine the family seeing "your going to hell signs".

I agree about the U of M meeting. Still you reach to far in your comparisons, marine!

Wether or not you agree with this war, honor is due to lives that were given and lost.

The graffiti war is not in any way close to the same.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:27 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

OK I did stretch it a bit. But, I don't believe too much. The point wasn't whether it was a cemetery or private building. Vandelism, is vandlism. You don't deal with it by covering it up! You deal with it by investigatimg, and catching the person doing it. Then making them pay for it!. THat is the bottom line.

Painting the same buildings over and over six to eight times a year. Is not a solution. It is a facade. THe problem is still there. Nothing has been solved.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:34 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Signs of Hell.

That sounds outradgeous! Were they there because the person was dead and they were gay?

If so. That is the altimate in LOW!

What makes a Cemetery more important than someones house or business? I' a veteran. I don't plan on being buried at a national cemetery. And it is great we have one. I would hope that people respect it. BUt, consider. People in this city don't respect the living. Why should the dead be any different?

The church up on the corner has been vandlised many times. I would point one of my cameras that direction and do some video taping. But, who would I give it to? The Police already don't want video of Aluminum siding being ripped off houses. I tried to talk to them about giving them some video of the neighbors fighting next door. They were't interested.

The probelm is the BIG LIE. The big lie is that we do not have enough officers, we don't have enough money, the police didn't see them do it so they cannot do anything about it, crime is high so we need more officers on the streets.

The solution "the small truth" too many officers in flint are corrupt (almost 16 of them fired or arrestted for Drugs to running a gambling establishment.) Too much time is wasted bullying around honest citizens and not arresting criminals (two officers in front of J&J automotive for over an hour harassing the mechanic test driving one of the Police vechiles) Poor application of resources (three police cars investigating a 13 year throwing rocks at an abandon house on the east side) Indeiference to the people paying their salry (I'm too busy eating my yogurt now, as soon as i'm finished I'll take your complaint) I could go on for days.

I realize nobody is perfect. But, there has been allowed such a substandard, lackluster performance in the Flint Police dept for so long. It is no wonder that crime has gone up 30 percent in the last two years. They lost focus, they've lost leadership. I do blame some on the officers. But it is mostly the leadership! From “Make up my own facts DON, to the Police Chef” (I did not spell chief wrong, I’m assuming he is an excellent chef in order to remain in this position for two years with crime rising both years. Probably over in the city hall cafeteria right now making omelets for the Mayor. )

At what point. Do we stop making excuses, stop trying to be tactful, and demand. DEMAND!! That people do their job? After years of my house, car, shed, neighbors’ house, neighbors cars being broken into. And the most response we get is. "Turn it into your insurance company" or "Well what do you want me to do about it?" There is a problem.

Most people cannot afford insurance in Flint. Because the attitude of city government is. Turn it over to your insurance company. Let the pay. They will only pay for so long until they start raising your rates. With Insurance rates in this city THREE TIMES HIGHER that living in the Suburbs. I could have afforded to live in a nicer house in Rankin! Just because of the difference. The problem is. I couldn't sell my house to the TAX value let alone sell it for what I've got into it.

Basically City Hall and the Police dept don't want you to live here. I don't get it. I would think they would want to bend over backwards for the people paying their salaries. Instead they ask you. Well why don't you move then?

Now you cannot say I'm just complaining. Because there is always a solution in what I say. Do your job. It might not be the solution people want to hear. This city is always looking for hand out from the government to solve their problems. Let's get a grant to paint over graffiti. Or let's get a grant for after school foot ball. Let's raise taxes so we can hire more officers. let's have a conference about violent crime so we can get our feelings out in the open.

Instead of. Investigating crimes and putting the people behind bars. Why is the simplest solution beyond the grasp of so many intelligent people! And instead of “Hours of community service’ they should be getting jail time and YEARS of community service. Our sentencing guidelines are way too soft. Esp, when a felon is caught with a gun, and he only receives a year and a half sentence.

Why don’t we try telling the criminals to Move. Instead of telling the tax payers to move. Why don’t we try making the car thieves pay for the Impound and towing costs associated with someone’s car being stolen? Why don’t we go after the people stealing the siding off your house, instead of going after the scrap yard?

Now, I do agree with Don on having more officers on duty when most crime is being committed. But, with that idea being common sense. Why did it take two years to finally work that out? Two years of crime increases 17 percent in 2004 and 12 percent in 2005.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:16 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I read that article in tdays paper about those protests.

What a bunch of Crack Heads!

I'm all for free speech and demonstrating. But that is beyond tacky to protest at a funeral. What #&$^'s me off. Is that they claim to Christians. I don't know what bible they are reading. But, the one I read didn't say anything about makin a fool out of yourself and then calling it Christian. They must be smiking thier pipes then going out and making fools of themselves. There is absolutely nothing to gain by what they are doing. For some reason, I cannot seem to figure what their defination of a Christian is. I always learned for it to be "Christian" you'd have to be able to say Chirst would be doing the same thing. I just cannot see Christ out there with a sign at a funeral protesting homosexuals. Nope, not in a million years.
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:49 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: