FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Board of Education seeking Acting Superintendent

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interim school chief sought
Public invited to ask questions when board conducts interviews FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONTuesday, April 17, 2007By Melissa Burdenmburden@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6316

FLINT - The Board of Education is accepting applications for acting superintendent through April 26 plans to fill the post May 9.

The board Monday approved an interim superintendent search process that will include conducting interviews May 1-3. The public will be able to ask questions of the candidates.

The person selected will become the district's sixth school chief since 2001.

Board President Stephanie Robb Martin said she has a list of about 17 potential candidates - people who have expressed interest in the position and those suggested by the community, board members, district staff and outgoing Superintendent Walter Milton Jr.

Four on the list are retired Michigan superintendents, and about five are school administrators that Milton flagged as "strong" workers who could move forward, Robb Martin said.

She was about to read the list publicly when several board members persuaded her not to.

Board Treasurer Vera J. Perry said all the people recommended might not know they are on the list or be interested in the position, and some people could jeopardize current employment if their names were released.

Many community members and board candidates in the upcoming school board election have suggested current administrators Eugene Rutledge or Linda Thompson for the post. Both longtime school employees said last week no one had contacted them about the job.

Rutledge, executive director of the design team, was runner-up to Milton in the last superintendent search. Thompson is executive director of school transition.

Milton is leaving for Springfield, Ill., where he will become superintendent July 1. Robb Martin said she would like an acting superintendent to start May 14.

Milton said he plans to work with the interim school chief to help ensure a smooth transition.

"I am truly at the board's disposal," he said. "We have a lot of unfinished business to take care of."

Robb Martin said the board wouldn't act on the superintendent position until after the May 8 election.

Four incumbents, including Robb Martin, are on the May 8 ballot.

The board took no action on whether it would conduct a national search for a permanent superintendent, but board Secretary Raymond Hatter argued that a vast search is needed to find a talented leader.

"This is the most critical position in this entire district, and we shouldn't just reduce it down to a handful of people we know," he said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-43/1176819632146610.xml&coll=5

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

No one deserves that job more then Gene Rutledge. The Board gave him the shaft last time when they hired "Doctor" Milton. It would be a total disgrace if this man of integrety didnt get the job this time. There has been no one more committed to the children of Flint for the past 35 plus years then Gene Rutledge. Give the man the job he has earned. He is a fine educator who will do whats right for the students of Flint. As a former student of Mr. Rutledge, he is one of the finest educators I have ever known.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:45 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
No one deserves that job more then Gene Rutledge. The Board gave him the shaft last time when they hired "Doctor" Milton. It would be a total disgrace if this man of integrety didnt get the job this time. There has been no one more committed to the children of Flint for the past 35 plus years then Gene Rutledge. Give the man the job he has earned. He is a fine educator who will do whats right for the students of Flint. As a former student of Mr. Rutledge, he is one of the finest educators I have ever known.

Al, if that was all the criteria for being successful as superintendent, I would agree with you.

Unfortunately, I think the job is more about being an effective leader vice an excellent educator. I think a good leader is supported by having good sub-ordinates, who are stronger technical experts, vice just leaders themselves within their sub-area. It may be be that Rutledge could be successful as a Superintendent, I don't know. I just know being a very good educator doesn't qualify you for the job, anymore than being a very good engineer would make you an effective president of GM. I've seen many very strong and successful engineers get promoted into high positions where the skill sets required to be successful were totally different and those people crashed and burned.

Apparently Rutledge was considered in the past, perhaps several times and by different groups of people and not selected.

Their mistakes or his weaknesses?

As Clint eastwood said..."A mans got to know his limitations"

Still appointing him as an interim Super could be a good move. It would allow him to show just what he can do, and while others are considered, he too could be a candidate with the advantage of already being on the job and showing his capabilities. The downside would be, IF not selected, would he be willing to be sent "back down"..of course at his age, he might just retire and get hired back as a consultant and double dip, AND still contribute!
Still a win/win situation.

YMMV.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:22 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/04/flint_schools_to_interview_fou.html

hmmm, don't see any Rutledge listed as a finalist.

could be he didn't make the cut from 8 to these 4?

Gail Ganakas is a non-starter based on Herbie Cleaves racial criteria "only a black can teach/lead a black child". So she's out...if Herbie gets his way. OTOH, if Ms Ganakas is related to the MSU Ganakas, maybe Herbie will figure he owes the Green & White one indulgence?
the other within the FCS, is Linda THompson...the other two are cyphers...

guess we'll know more soon, though.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:30 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: