FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Unions' School Board ENDORSEMENTS

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

"The United Teachers of Flint, which represents about 1,300 teachers, is endorsing all newcomers: Erycka K. Hunter, Fred W. Bashir and Harold Woodson for the four-year seats; Cross for the two-year term; and Jennifer Dillard for the one-year seat."

"The Service Employees International Union, which covers about 1,200 district workers, is endorsing three incumbents and two new faces: Fountain, Hunter, and Robb Martin for the four-year positions; Cleaves for the two-year seat; and A.C. Dumas for the one-year post."

Source: The Flint Journal, "Stay the course or throw em overboard?" by Bob Wheaton, Sun., Apr.15, 2007.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/117663264944250.xml&coll=5
Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:48 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thats Great! Good work to all who were involved, and good work to all the people running. I am a true believer that we need choices in every election! Its great to see so many people wanting to make a positive change!

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
KW
F L I N T O I D

Also from

Stay the course or throw 'em overboard? Posted by Bob Wheaton and Melissa Burden from the Flint Journal on April 15, 2007

"But Stephanie Robb Martin, a therapist who is the current board president and one of four incumbents running, said high-achieving school districts don't constantly change leadership. With Milton already leaving, Robb Martin said, the incumbents should stay.

'Now more than ever, the need for some degree of stability certainly exists here in the district," she said. "And I believe it would be counterproductive to the welfare of our students for this board to shift. That would be more than half the board (if incumbents lose the five seats on the ballot), and I do not think that would be in the best interest of our students or the community.' "

Does anyone else find Stephanie Robb-Martin's comments just a bit more than hypocritical?

Good grief! The school board, over which she presides, mandated huge changes for the students and employees of Flint Community Schools these past few months. She was none to concerned about the rate at which the children and employees where asked to change last month.

Now that some changes may be in store for her in a few weeks, due to elections, the instability has become unacceptable? Please...Is there no shame?
Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:51 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Her statement is self-serving. No surprise there.

Its also a bit presumptious. The stability? what stability? overcrowded classes, rooms without supplies, overspending to the tune of wiping out their savings, and for what? do we even have the first piece of objective evidence, student performance...that is heading in the right direction and thus that the reform program is working in any fashion.

the "reforms" should stand on their own merit, regradless who sits onthe Board and who is the Superintendent. The issue though is more than student performance. It appears the pink elephant in the room, and the one I haven't seen a lot of press on is the budget deficit.
How in the hell can any plan be maintained if it financially wipes out the district's coffers?

Its very unsettling to me, how little appears to be known by the current board.

I predict after the flim flam man leaves town, and if the FJ or the Uncommon Sense have the guts to investigate the dirt under the carpet and hidden in the corners, that there will be some unsettling, unprofessional, irresponsible, and perhaps even criminal behavior vis a vis business practices come to light. Abosultely JUST an intuitive statement on my part, but the whole curiosity of the Milton era and the circumstances of his short term; coupled with the tidbits of news from the audit of his former job, seems to make me think there was a whole lot of 3-card monte going on here in the labryinth, of the byzantine FCS system. I think he saw the poop was preparing to meet the fan and decided to get out before it got all over him. They seem to think he walks on water down there.....god bless them all.

We've already lost stability with Milton leaving [of course maybe he knew his plan was going to need a massive overhaul, so why not get out while the reputation is still intact and before the ribbon of failure can be pinned on his chest]. So turning out the entire board really presents no additional instability whatsoever. In fact its a rare opportunity. Change em all with no additional chaos created, no downside whatsoever.

That is what should be said to rebut her position.

lets get some people in there who can actually DO SOMETHING about their feelings for the kids. After all thats a given for all of them. Time to get some professional-grade abilities in the skill set, instead of earnest and caring mom or dad. How about someone who understands risk management, facilities, government/legislative environment, finance & budgets, human & organizational resource development, and finally and as importantly LEADERSHIP.

See very little of many of those skills. Less so in the Superintendent unfortunately. Sorry if all Rutledge is an educator, I don't care for how long, or what a great guy is he, he couldn't pass muster in the past for those important criteria, why consider him now except as a short termer.

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:10 am 
KW
F L I N T O I D

Well said, Biggie9!
Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:04 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Welll put Biggie!

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
Her statement is self-serving. No surprise there.

Its also a bit presumptious. The stability? what stability? overcrowded classes, rooms without supplies, overspending to the tune of wiping out their savings, and for what? do we even have the first piece of objective evidence, student performance...that is heading in the right direction and thus that the reform program is working in any fashion.

the "reforms" should stand on their own merit, regradless who sits onthe Board and who is the Superintendent. The issue though is more than student performance. It appears the pink elephant in the room, and the one I haven't seen a lot of press on is the budget deficit.
How in the hell can any plan be maintained if it financially wipes out the district's coffers?

Its very unsettling to me, how little appears to be known by the current board.

I predict after the flim flam man leaves town, and if the FJ or the Uncommon Sense have the guts to investigate the dirt under the carpet and hidden in the corners, that there will be some unsettling, unprofessional, irresponsible, and perhaps even criminal behavior vis a vis business practices come to light. Abosultely JUST an intuitive statement on my part, but the whole curiosity of the Milton era and the circumstances of his short term; coupled with the tidbits of news from the audit of his former job, seems to make me think there was a whole lot of 3-card monte going on here in the labryinth, of the byzantine FCS system. I think he saw the poop was preparing to meet the fan and decided to get out before it got all over him. They seem to think he walks on water down there.....god bless them all.

We've already lost stability with Milton leaving [of course maybe he knew his plan was going to need a massive overhaul, so why not get out while the reputation is still intact and before the ribbon of failure can be pinned on his chest]. So turning out the entire board really presents no additional instability whatsoever. In fact its a rare opportunity. Change em all with no additional chaos created, no downside whatsoever.

That is what should be said to rebut her position.

lets get some people in there who can actually DO SOMETHING about their feelings for the kids. After all thats a given for all of them. Time to get some professional-grade abilities in the skill set, instead of earnest and caring mom or dad. How about someone who understands risk management, facilities, government/legislative environment, finance & budgets, human & organizational resource development, and finally and as importantly LEADERSHIP.

See very little of many of those skills. Less so in the Superintendent unfortunately. Sorry if all Rutledge is an educator, I don't care for how long, or what a great guy is he, he couldn't pass muster in the past for those important criteria, why consider him now except as a short termer.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: