FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Milton to interview for $220,000 position
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

well according to the article, Miltie was to have an hour with the school board and community tonight.

Hope he sold them on his special abilities and great performance here in Flint. Can we declare "Success, the war is over, FCS have been saved".

a la Georgie Bush on the starship Enterprise.

Yeah, thats it Miltie, declare "problem solved, my work here is done, and get the hell out of Dodge before your hired hands running the purse strings can no longer keep an increasingly anxious Board in the dark with the mushroom treatment.

Remember what happened to the last consulting firm that got too close to the day to day operations of the corporations they were hired to provide objective oversight of?

yep they got in big trouble, and closed down due to the scandal.

Whatya bet here?.............

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:38 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Did you notice this comment:

"Flint has enticed him in recent days since discovering of his plans with a cadillac severence package should he decide to go, including offering him the full benefits of his contract as long as he stays until July 1st, which would be consistent with his 3 month's notice." Source: "Go for it... wrote at 4/3/2007 4:44:12 PM" http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/111284.asp#

Excerpts from a Flint Journal article Oct. 5, 2005:

The board approved a three-year, eight-month contract with a base pay of $150,000 and 2 percent annual salary increases. . . . Milton's base pay of $150,000 is about $10,000 more than what former superintendent Felix H. Chow made before he resigned in April. But Chow received about $10,000 more annually in tax-deferred annuities, Harbin said.

Milton's contract costs the district about $230,000, including benefits, compared with a total of about $217,000 for Chow. Milton's contract also includes a payment of up to $11,000 for moving and temporary living expenses that Chow did not receive.

One other significant difference between the contracts of Chow and Milton is in how they will be renewed. Chow's contract was set up so that it was a continuous three-year pact extended annually by one year. Milton's contract won't go up for renewal or extension until May 2008 . . . .
[end quotes]

There were other financial notes under "Quick Facts" but one I question, related to a "severance package," is: "The board can terminate the contract at any time without cause but would have to pay off the remaining balance of the contract." What would be the penalty for his own termination of the contract?
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Did you notice this comment:

"Flint has enticed him in recent days since discovering of his plans with a cadillac severence package should he decide to go, including offering him the full benefits of his contract as long as he stays until July 1st, which would be consistent with his 3 month's notice." Source: "Go for it... wrote at 4/3/2007 4:44:12 PM" http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/111284.asp#

Excerpts from a Flint Journal article Oct. 5, 2005:

The board approved a three-year, eight-month contract with a base pay of $150,000 and 2 percent annual salary increases. . . . Milton's base pay of $150,000 is about $10,000 more than what former superintendent Felix H. Chow made before he resigned in April. But Chow received about $10,000 more annually in tax-deferred annuities, Harbin said.

Milton's contract costs the district about $230,000, including benefits, compared with a total of about $217,000 for Chow. Milton's contract also includes a payment of up to $11,000 for moving and temporary living expenses that Chow did not receive.

One other significant difference between the contracts of Chow and Milton is in how they will be renewed. Chow's contract was set up so that it was a continuous three-year pact extended annually by one year. Milton's contract won't go up for renewal or extension until May 2008 . . . .
[end quotes]

There were other financial notes under "Quick Facts" but one I question, related to a "severance package," is: "The board can terminate the contract at any time without cause but would have to pay off the remaining balance of the contract." What would be the penalty for his own termination of the contract?

i have always been fascinated to read news stories on topics I have had personal experience or insight too, just to see how well my perception stacks up with what a reporter is able to glean and piece together.

So it is with our perspective of Milton, versus what this reporter writes...are we talking about the same person and the same Flint?

To read these articles, you'd think Milton walked on water, up the Flint River, waved a magic wand and "poof" the problems of FCS were solved. Thats what I am getting....mission accomplished.

what is even more amazing, they tie his tenure to "since 2005" makes it sound like 2+ years, but wasn't it the fall of 2005, near the end of the year?

What also surprised me were the number of sycophants weighing in on the comments section. Amazing the number of folks who posted hosannas praising Milton to the sky, yet this on a Springfield, Ill paper website. How did they know this was even being written about a week ago almost...hmmmmm. Looks like Miltie has been managing his exit strategy for some time now. Before the financial shortcomings announced recently?

There are supportive statements from students [apparently Miton teaches a class on Urban education somewhere?] "other" superintendents, people who work with him. They all miscast the "amazing reform plan" as something done, finished...no mention of the mis-steps of over-crowding, closing buildings, & then having to reopen, shortages of supplies, over-runs on books, bought without bids, laying off staff, even larger budget deficits next year, migration out of the district...somehow NONE of these realities are worth mentioning of his tenure here. Oh, but "he even declined an earned bonus...isn't he just wonderful" without the context of layoffs and a $5 million shortfall in the budget, much less not having agreed upon criteria for awarding it.

yeesh, enough already.

take your hat and get out.

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:55 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Stay tuned for the full audio of his presentation:

http://blogs.sj-r.com/schooltalk/
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:25 pm 
rapunzel

CHOW is available...bring him HOME!!!

Central alumni will be against this.

He is the chance to to what is best for the children. He has always put the children's needs above his career. Not like the rest.

RAP
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:23 pm 

The good folks in Flint must be really proud. You have been successful in developing the reputation of employing the most Sups in 6 years. With Flint's record of stability, the children will surely prosper.

Face it, the Flint community knows not what you do. You are confused, chaotic and down right pitiful. Your murder rate is severly high and your children are facing increasing dropout rates and joblessness. Instead of working with an administration, whether you like it or not, you'd seek constant change as a method of preoccuping you. As a method to distract you from facing the fact that the community "is the problem" and has no apparent way out.

Mr. Milton will be fine will $220K salary. What about the children of Flint? As the adults continue to seek out the next fall guy only to begin devouring him/her.

WAKE UP FLINT. TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!!!!!!
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:26 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Anonymous schreef:
The good folks in Flint must be really proud. You have been successful in developing the reputation of employing the most Sups in 6 years. With Flint's record of stability, the children will surely prosper.

Face it, the Flint community knows not what you do. You are confused, chaotic and down right pitiful. Your murder rate is severly high and your children are facing increasing dropout rates and joblessness. Instead of working with an administration, whether you like it or not, you'd seek constant change as a method of preoccuping you. As a method to distract you from facing the fact that the community "is the problem" and has no apparent way out.

Mr. Milton will be fine will $220K salary. What about the children of Flint? As the adults continue to seek out the next fall guy only to begin devouring him/her.

WAKE UP FLINT. TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!!!!!!

Better you should ask what about the children of Springfield.

We can move on now and improve. BTW, we've not gone through the most Supers, since several of them were "iterim" superintendents. Filling the position temporarily.

I think if you examine the circumstance of the past 6 years; there needs to be only one change to improve the situation.

replace one Board member. Herbert Cleaves. He drove out two of the "hired as permanent" superintendents. His ill-gotten perception that a black majority district must have a black superintendent is the exact racisim of the 60's south; just opposite side of the coin. Note with that criteria down in Springfield, a white "Herb Cleaves" would not have supported hiring Milton, since the district is majority WHITE.

Better you should question Milton's courage and fortitude. He was willing to cut and run over very LITTLE meaningful resistence. He had HIS BOSS, the school Board backing him. He brought in his own adminstrators, even felons, so that "crew" was behind him; if not the teachers [why should they? he excluded them and played by different rules for himself].

So who exactly "demonized" him? No one of real consequence. Thats just an excuse for him to use to leave the children...you know, the ones HE IS SOOOOOO dedicated too.

Just like he says he is so dedicated to Springfield's children. Once a smooth talker, always a smooth talker, just like the lothario romancing the young maiden; she believes she is the TRUE special one; all those other [districts] he wooed they didn't mean a thing; HAHAHAHAHA...love is blind and so is adoration.

Oh and ask yourself this, people of color; Where would black americans be today if the leaders of the civil rights movement had responded as Milton has to "salacious", mean-spirited stories...and fled the scene?

Thank god those men and women were made of firmer stuff than Milton; of course all they faced were livid hate, fire-hosing, attack dogs, bombings, burnings, beatings, shootings, and attacks against property etc...nothing NEARLY as difficult as "salacious" stories.

Keep your eyes on the prize folks....Milton certainly believes Flint's children aren't worth the trouble; Do you?

If so, celebrate his departure. He was, in the end craven and shallow and not down for the struggle.

Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:17 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: