FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: questions for Milton

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
plato

On 9/07/06 the plan is that I will interview Superintendedn Milton for a future show of In my Opinion on chanel 17.

Bleow are my draft question in the order I plan to ask. Do you have recommendation for questions. Please advise.

Terry Bankert 9/7/06 1:00 pm If you can please reply by 3 pm

INTRODUCTION
William Milton Superintendent Fl;int Board of Education
BACKGROUND
THEME:Is the Flint Board of Education reform plan promoted by Supt Milton on track.

1Q: Is the Flint Board of Education reform plan promoted by Supt Milton on track.

2Q: How will your reform plan make Flint Schools better for the school age children of a single mother of three in Flint MI existing at or below the poverty level.

3Q: How should your reorm program be measured by the community. What is the most important variable the community can measure to evaluate your reform plan?

4Q: Why uniforms?

5Q: How is the partnership with fortune 500 companies going? Do Flint schools have outside speakers come in and speak to classes.

6Q: First, the bad news: The number of area public schools that failed to meet state standards under the federal No Child Left Behind Act increased 30 percent this year, with 30 schools now on the list.
7Q: Now the good news : 18 area schools improved enough to be removed from the list of schools that had been under sanctions. Schools make the list for failing at least two years in a row to meet the standards known as Adequate Yearly Progress, or AYP.

8Q: A Flint school official pointed to the district's improvements, as seven elementary schools came off the list.

9Q: FLINT - Flint has become the poorest large city in Michigan, with nearly one of every three people now living below the poverty level, according to a new Census Bureau report

Flint's percentage of residents living in poverty last year increased from 26.4 percent in 2000 to 32.5 percent in 2005, passing Detroit (31.4 percent) and putting it far ahead of other Michigan communities with at least 65,000 people. HOW HAS YOUR REFORM PLAN ADDRESSES THE NEEDS OF THESE POOR CHILDREN.

10Q: What the role of the Flint school system in job creation?
Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:15 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
plato schreef:
On 9/07/06 the plan is that I will interview Superintendedn Milton for a future show of In my Opinion on chanel 17.

Bleow are my draft question in the order I plan to ask. Do you have recommendation for questions. Please advise.

Terry Bankert 9/7/06 1:00 pm If you can please reply by 3 pm

INTRODUCTION
William Milton Superintendent Fl;int Board of Education
BACKGROUND
THEME:Is the Flint Board of Education reform plan promoted by Supt Milton on track.

1Q: Is the Flint Board of Education reform plan promoted by Supt Milton on track.

He answers...."Yes". Come on Terry you know better than to ask a simple yes/no question, when it doesn't really get at the issue you are trying to address. What is "on track" that he has defined it and starting to implement it? What arethe elements of the plan that are currently being deployed? What elements are to follow?

quote:
2Q: How will your reform plan make Flint Schools better for the school age children of a single mother of three in Flint MI existing at or below the poverty level.

Answer = her kids will get better educated in a safer environment. Again, do you have a specific issue that you are hinting at with the specifics of your example? If so, ask them plainly..don't couch the terms of the question to raise another issue.

quote:
3Q: How should your reorm program be measured by the community. What is the most important variable the community can measure to evaluate your reform plan?

Community hell. What are HIS and the School systems measurable success factors. Yes they should be communicated to the Board and community, and yes they should be directly observable, measurable and relevant. Things like drop-out rates, GPAs, graduation rates, suspension/expulsion rates, etc...how will they measured, who gathers the data, when? how is it collated/processed? Can it be independently audited/confirmed?

quote:
4Q: Why uniforms?

Hasn't this horse been beaten to death? We know why schools go to uniforms. Whether YOU believe in those factors is up to you, but no harm in hearing it expressed once again I guess.

quote:
5Q: How is the partnership with fortune 500 companies going? Do Flint schools have outside speakers come in and speak to classes.

maybe it might be better to ask him what specific benefits he is seeking by partnering with Fortune 500 firms. What firms specifically? What are the benefits he is seeking? if its just to get to mentors/speakers, thats easy. There are programs where companies like Gm encourage engineers to work with students on exposing them to science and math. Is that it? Those programs exist already. make a phone call...gee that was easy.

quote:
6Q: First, the bad news: The number of area public schools that failed to meet state standards under the federal No Child Left Behind Act increased 30 percent this year, with 30 schools now on the list.

Was there supposed to be a question here? If so it eludes me.

quote:
7Q: Now the good news : 18 area schools improved enough to be removed from the list of schools that had been under sanctions. Schools make the list for failing at least two years in a row to meet the standards known as Adequate Yearly Progress, or AYP.

Ditto this "non-question.

quote:
8Q: A Flint school official pointed to the district's improvements, as seven elementary schools came off the list.

ditto again. where's the "beef"? At least THAT is a question.

quote:
9Q: FLINT - Flint has become the poorest large city in Michigan, with nearly one of every three people now living below the poverty level, according to a new Census Bureau report

Flint's percentage of residents living in poverty last year increased from 26.4 percent in 2000 to 32.5 percent in 2005, passing Detroit (31.4 percent) and putting it far ahead of other Michigan communities with at least 65,000 people. HOW HAS YOUR REFORM PLAN ADDRESSES THE NEEDS OF THESE POOR CHILDREN.

Ok poorly stated, but are you really asking if his reform plan needs special consideration for the level of poverty of the students in the system, or is it immune to such criteria, the reform plan is designed to educate all students in a high-risk environment/system. I think the free meals programs, tutors, etc etc are already in place. Does he see additional similar programs to bolster elements of the students lives outside the traditional readin' 'rittin' & 'rithmatic a school is traditionally is responsible for?

quote:
10Q: What the role of the Flint school system in job creation?

Say what?...do you mean in preparing the students for the larger world work force? or are you saying the school system should be a haven for creating jobs in and of itself, like a bloated governmental agency? God forbid, I hope you mean the former.

Well I see you apparently have fimed this already. But you had a 2 hour window to provide you feedback on these questions [what questions there were]. Sorry I was delinquent. I'll try to be more timely, but you might want to give more than a 2 hour window next time.

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:24 pm 
plato

Is it a basic understand that in order to communicate here with each other it has to be irritating, condesending and mean spirited. I now understand this to be your battlefield. Biggie your answer was irritating, I was in a rush and needed help. 5 others responded thank you.

Milton cancelled with less than an hours notice. We restructured the progam and did it without him. I'll leave you to your skirmishes you are victorious, I'm too busy I'll go elsewhere

Terry Bankret
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
1-810-235-1970
Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:44 am 
John

Well, we know Ms. Fountain will work well with Mr. Milton. Smile
Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:53 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
plato schreef:
Is it a basic understand that in order to communicate here with each other it has to be irritating, condesending and mean spirited. I now understand this to be your battlefield. Biggie your answer was irritating, I was in a rush and needed help. 5 others responded thank you.

Milton cancelled with less than an hours notice. We restructured the progam and did it without him. I'll leave you to your skirmishes you are victorious, I'm too busy I'll go elsewhere

Terry Bankret
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
1-810-235-1970

Plato/Terry,
let me know where I was mean spirited and condescending, so I can learn.

One suggestion I would make, if you are not looking for anything that may be challenging or critical when you ask for input, just say so. Just make sure you ask for supportive and self-affirmative feedback.

i think I can do that too! Wouldn't be honest, but it meet your requirements!

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:26 pm 
S.Riddler

Milton needs to tell this community how to measure sucess of his reforms.
Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:52 am 
ellwoodflint

This is a great statement Riddler.
Many do not realize it, but under NCLB act every school must have a school improvement plan and have a monthly meeting. Usually called site base. Community and parents do not realize that they have the right to attend and participate in these. Under the law, there must be community/parent input. If regular joes aren't aware than the school uses there flackies to cover the signitures and keep control.
My suggestion to everyone is to contact your school of choice and ask when these meetings are being held and participate....
This also falls under title 1 funding laws that say also how ALL title 1 monies are spent in the building and must have parent involvement
Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:00 am 
detestsgeorgeandlaura

To Plato: Did you get answers to your questions about Milton? The reason I ask is that he is headed to Springfield, IL next year and I wonder what we are in for.
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:44 am 
Plato

We have been active in school public policy debate. We have agreed and disagreed with Milton. As a public figure he was fair game absent of malice. Now while he has announced his departure and is negotiating his arrival at another district we would never dream of interfering with his business intrest, being a superintendent, and be challenged by tortious litigation. But thanks for asking. Fair warning to everbody else..... this poster could be Milton trying to flush us out....
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:29 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: