FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Springfield, Illinois offered Milton a multi-year contract

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

District likes Flint superintendent's experience, attitude
By Josh DeVine
SPRINGFIELD, Il. (WJRT) - (04/06/07)-- Just hours after an interview with top school leaders, Dr. Walter Milton has the job.

ABC12 News confirmed early Friday afternoon that school leaders in Springfield, Illinois offered Milton a multi-year contract to become the top leader the district.
He completed a lengthy interview on Thursday evening, and the school board president told ABC12 they offered him the job last night.

The offer is for a multi-year deal. Financial details weren't immediately available and are considered part of the negotiations between Milton and the district.

By phone, Springfield School Board President Cheryl Wise told ABC12's Josh DeVine the board extended the contract to Milton because of his "energy, experience and priority toward education."

Below is the transcript of Dr. Walter Milton's statement Thursday, April 5, 2007, as he speaks to the public and the board of education in Springfield, Illinois.

Video of the interview is available on the State Journal-Register Web site.

"Being in a position of superintendent, you have to make, sometimes, very unpopular decisions. But you have to always know that you have to make decisions in the best interest of children. I am a collaborator."

"I believe the best administrators, the best instructional leaders of schools remain teachers. To me, teaching is the most noble profession on the face of the universe. Everyone in this room has been impacted by a teacher. "

"I make home visits. I do it for two purposes; to really get a feel for the community and also to exercise (laughter). That is very important. But, I've spent my time making about 550 home visits thus far, and if given the opportunity, I will hit the ground running with that, get a chance to have an intimate familiarity with every aspect of the community; the north end, every side of the community, and really make the statement that I'm here to stay for a long, long time and build good relationships, because relationships are vital to success. "

"To me, being a school superintendent is not a career, it is not a vocation, it's not even a job, it's a devotional. Its the opportunity to serve and that's the highest level of leadership - to serve others. To build up greatness in those people (inaudible)."

"Serving as a superintendent has given me a variety of experiences. Its the opportunity to serve as the top educator in the district, making sure to make all decisions based on what's best for children. And making sure you can exemplify a good, sound instruction and keeping the focus on student issues."

"(inaudible) visionary, because I always look at what we can become. I think that's important. You know, we have to have a map. We have to know where we're going. Am I correct? And you have to have a leader that knows that . You have to have a leader who's going to stand up for what's right, and has the chutzpa to stand up for each one of you and your work. Okay? And not falling victim to any kind of political pressures."

"That's very important. I would say visionary is the one word of how I describe myself."

"I must say that I want to bring my family to a community where there's a lot of pride, there's a lot of culture, there's a sense of richness. And, in my research, that has led me to Springfield."

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5188200

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Dear Springfield:

SUCKERS!
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:25 pm 
SL2

Now the questions are, will he accept what Springfield has to offer, and what he and Flint decide might be his parting package. Chess anyone?
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:02 pm 
michigan2cents

I only wonder what biggie9 and the rest of his click has to say now that once again another forward thinking city has recruited one of the city's bright leaders?? Fool! Another classic example of ignorant Flint citizens not uderstanding a blessing... Y'all are so funny, please keep it up and help keep the negative images of Flint alive!
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:27 pm 

Michigan 2 Cents:

That's the best you can do? Back it up with some substance. Convince us why Uncle Miltie was so good for Flint.....and that we're missing out on something.............we're waiting........
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:33 pm 
michigan2cents

'Convince us why Uncle Miltie was so good for Flint...' Why should I?? The Springfield board of education just did so Thursday night, but you probably still don't get it... Smile
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:05 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Hey its a win win situation for everyone...

Springfield GOT what they think they want [they'll get it in the end]

and we are rid of the Flim Flam Man...

Rejoice! Hallelujah!

Easter has come early!!!

Rejoice!! The resurrection of the FCS can now begin!!

just please take Herbie the "little mad nothing" with you. oh and someone change the locks on the money drawer, and cancel Miltie's school district credit cards.

Amen

Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:47 am 

Don't rejoice to soon! We have until August to rid ourselves of this liar.

lock the money box with no chief financial officer?
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:51 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: