FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Republicans ask Michigan citizens to fight tax hikes

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gary Heinlein / Detroit News Lansing Bureau

LANSING -- House Republicans are drumming up opposition to any government effort to raise state taxes as a way out of Michigan's $940-million budget crisis.

They announced today an online site at which they'll ask citizens to respond to a proposed boost in the state income tax from 3.9 percent to 4.6 percent. Legislation to do that has been introduced by House Appropriations Committee Chairman George Cushingberry, D-Detroit.

"This is exactly what the people of Michigan don't want," said Rep. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge.

Taxes are a key issue in the debate over the budget dilemma. Gov. Jennifer Granholm has proposed a new 2-percent tax on services such as haircuts and attorney fees, saying government can't simply slash government services to avoid a budget deficit. That would hurt the poor and aged most, she argued.

While a services tax has been rejected by the Republican-controlled Senate Appropriations Committee, an increase in the income tax and a proposed utilities tax are among the strategies under discussion among Democrats, who control the House. Senate Republicans have rejected the idea of any tax hike for this year but said taxes or fees may need to be increased as part of the budget solution for the next fiscal year, which starts Oct. 1.

Meanwhile, lawmakers have approved a Granholm executive order slashing state spending for the current budget year, which ends Sept. 30, by $344 million. Among its cuts are the funding of state employee pensions, a State Police auto theft prevention project and aid to the poor for day care and burial services.

The Senate, led by Republicans, also has approved $600 million in additional cuts. They include a 10 percent reduction in state revenue sharing to local governments and a $34-per-pupil drop in school aid.

House members will work through the next two weeks, normally a spring break for lawmakers, on a counter-proposal, Democratic House Speaker Andy Dillon, D-Redford Township, announced last week.

The Republican web survey is at www.gophouse.com.

You can reach Gary Heinlein at (313) 222-2470 or gheinlein@detnews.com.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070330/UPDATE/703300457/1003/METRO

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I don't know much about economics, finances, and such things, but from what I've heard about the super awesome perks Michigan's state politicians get after only serving for a year, maybe they should start cutting there instead of schools, the poor, and the elderly.

Of course, I am only going off of hearsay.
Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

As much as I dislike the thought of raising taxes, the proposed boost in the state income tax from 3.9 percent to 4.6 percent would be easier to accept than some of the other alternatives. We had 4.6 percent state income tax before.

A recent article in the Free Press mentioned the rising cost of health care for teachers in Michigan creating strains on the budget. It could be addressed in some of the ways mentioned, such as teachers contributing to the expense. The rising cost of health care is such a serious issue nationwide there needs to be something done to reverse the trend. Everyone should have health care when needed, not necessarily health "insurance."

Cutting the budget of the Michigan State Police and releasing inmates early is unacceptable.
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:32 am 
Ben E. Phitt

Employee health care is part of wages. It is not a gift. It began after (I think) WW II when employers needed to increase wages, but were unable to increase the actual cash they paid.

Before anyone suggests that employer-paid health care should be slashed, they should first reduce their own wage by an identical or greater percentage. Then, show proof that they reduced their own income. Then- and only then- suggest that someone else accept a pay cut.

Walk the walk or do not talk the talk!
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:19 pm 
SL2

I do not have employer-paid health care. The full cost of individual health insurance and health care is paid from my net wages. That should qualify for "walking the walk."
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:39 pm 
T.B Told

The House and Senate Members should all take a 15% pay decrease. Then the govenor, and all state employees.. Then we would have a surplus.
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:47 pm 
jacksonmin

Michigan residents have seen tax cuts for the past several years -- small cuts for the individual -- but VERY significant for state revenues. One of Gov Engler's last acts was to (with a Republican controlled legislature) cut the state personal income tax by 1/10th of one percent per year for five years -- the last year of his tenure and every year of his successors. The cuts for the individual amounted, on the average, to about $35-$40 per year. For the state, the cuts were in the neihborhood of $300 million. AND THOSE CUTS ARE CUMULATIVE -- i.e. it was $300 million the first year; but the second year $300 million was on top of the first $300 million -- or about $600 million in total impact: that meant about $900 million less revenue in the third year, $1.2 BILLION in the fourth year and $1.5 BILLION last year. That's about 16-17% of the state's general fund. We now operate on less revenue than at any time in the past 20+ years. Costs, of cours, have continued to increase -- more $ for gasoline, to heat buildings, for health care, etc. So the need to increase revenue is clear.
As to the Legislative salary and perks, the total cost of the Legislature -- including the budget areas, the research areas, etc is about 3/10th of ONE percent of the total budget. Pay cuts for state employees would not come close to taking care of the budget problems -- and state empolyees, in comparison to other wages, are not particularly well paid. They have gone with significant cuts, donated time, VERY modest wage increases, etc. They should not bear the burden of the state's problems.
Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:33 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
We now operate on less revenue than at any time in the past 20+ years. Costs, of cours, have continued to increase -- more $ for gasoline, to heat buildings, for health care, etc. So the need to increase revenue is clear.

OK Fine, Are you going to increase my revenue so I can afford these new taxes?

You are of course correct. My Heating Bill has gone up! My gasoline bill now sucks up 7 percent of my net income. Doubled in four years from 3 percent.

My Utilities have gone up now it also takes up 12 percent of my income. Up from 7 percent three years ago.

HOuse payment including taxes and insurance is now up to 24 percent of my net income up 5 percent in three years.

Anybody noticed how much food at the store has gone up recently? Clothes? Cable TV has remained constant, The phone has gone up, My Health insurance has gone up! Yet in all of this. My wages have gone down!

If I have to live with less. Government should have to live with less. I know a lot of flint residents that this is the same for them. Thier costs are going UP yet they have to work more to make what they made 5 years ago.

Sure raise my taxes. But pay me enough to afford it!
Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

quote:
We now operate on less revenue than at any time in the past 20+ years. Costs, of cours, have continued to increase -- more $ for gasoline, to heat buildings, for health care, etc. So the need to increase revenue is clear.

OK Fine, Are you going to increase my revenue so I can afford these new taxes?

You are of course correct. My Heating Bill has gone up! My gasoline bill now sucks up 7 percent of my net income. Doubled in four years from 3 percent.

My Utilities have gone up now it also takes up 12 percent of my income. Up from 7 percent three years ago.

HOuse payment including taxes and insurance is now up to 24 percent of my net income up 5 percent in three years.

Anybody noticed how much food at the store has gone up recently? Clothes? Cable TV has remained constant, The phone has gone up, My Health insurance has gone up! Yet in all of this. My wages have gone down!

If I have to live with less. Government should have to live with less. I know a lot of flint residents that this is the same for them. Thier costs are going UP yet they have to work more to make what they made 5 years ago.

Sure raise my taxes. But pay me enough to afford it!

We cannot impose a minimum wage for middle manager. Possibly we should cut your costs in other areas.
1. nationalize health care.
2. Cap utility costs increases
3.CAP GASOLINE COUNSUMER PRICES
WHERE ELESE CAN WE REDUCE YOUR COSTS?
I assume you are for all of the above.

Terry Bankert
4/2/07
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why would anyone in their right mind want nationalize health care??

As a military retiree I'm entitle to free government manage heath care and believe me you do not want it!!

I paid for a separate heath care plan so I don have to use it.

BTW The Poor already have free health care , it is called welfare.

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

It sucks living in Flint because we have high city taxes, high county taxes, high state taxes and also federal taxes are a little high. Out in Massachusetts I beleieve they have free state health care. Canada has some problems with it but I have heard it does save money for businesses.

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:57 am 
Sick N. Tired

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
Why would anyone in their right mind want nationalize health care??

As a military retiree I'm entitle to spamfilterfree government manage heath care and believe me you do not want it!!

I paid for a separate heath care plan so I don have to use it.

BTW The Poor already have freespamfilter health care , it is called welfare.

Why would anybody want nationalized health care? Because everyone would benifit from it. The idea of insurance is that many pay into a pool that fewer people take from. The big insurance companies have destroyed that idea by their turning into stock and bond holding companies.

Military health care is not the same as nationalized health care. But then again, any group that identifies milk trucks as skud launchers should be invoved in as little as possible. So, I guess I agree, nationalized health care will never be good if it is operated by any militay types.

Plus, I know some ex-marines who have company health care & many times they choose the V.A. because of their civy plan's co-pay.

The poor, by the way, do not have health care. What they have is the most minimal care available. Not the same thing.

One problem with the current health care system is that in this country we treat (and pay) doctors as being in the upper-class. Foreign doctors are treated as middle class in their own countries, which is why many stay here. It's for the bucks.

And, in anticipation of the next arguement, foreigners study medicine here because the U.S. is currently the leader in medical education. This was not always the case. In the past (the not too distant past) everyone, including Americans, went to Europe to study medicine. In the not too distant future people will travel to yet another part of the world to study medicine.

Another problem with health care in the U.S. is the criminal actions of the insurance providers.

A third problem is our insistance on health care for the sick. No, I'm not joking. Wellness care - preventive care - is the way to go. Some HMO's started to focus on that in the 80's, but the insurance companies would not have anything to do with it (other than for smoking or weight problems).

I forget the percentage, but I seem to recall that it is estimated that people in the U.S. would spend on about 25% less on health care if we focused on preventive care.

One solution is for people to become, in part, their own health care providers. Courses could be taught (similar to first aid or CPR classes) to teach people about breaks and cuts, or child health care, etc. Once qualified a person could be eligible for tax credits for a percentage of what they spend on supplies. Sorry dopers... OTC meds only.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:13 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

The biggest rip-off in our current health care system is prescription drugs. These costs far out way the cost of the actual health care. Ask anyone associated with medical insurance and they will tell you the same thing. I agree that everyone deserves quality health care, but I am not sure that a national health care plan is the way to go. As far as the state revenue, the democrats made their bed, now they have to sleep in it. This is what happens when you eliminate the small business tax without creating some sort of alternative replacement. That would be like one of us quitting our job without having another one lined up. It wouldn't take long before the bills would stack up and we would be wondering how to pay them. This isn't rocket science. The difference is the democrats always want to take money from the working middle and upper class and give it to the poor, many of whom make no effort to provide for themselves.
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:54 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: