FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor Don Williamson highlighted an assault on violent crime

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Williamson highlights crime fight
State of the City
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Friday, February 24, 2006
By Robert Snell
rsnell@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6302
QUICK TAKE
Outtake
Flint Mayor Don Williamson saluted new City Council members by name during his State of the City speech Thursday. Then, seemingly as an afterthought, he mentioned two incumbents with whom he has clashed. "And we have two other ones: Sims and Kincaid," Williamson said, referring to 5th Ward Councilwoman Carolyn Sims and 9th Ward Councilman Scott Kincaid. Sims, seated at the council table, shook her head.

FLINT - As the city contends with a wave of homicides, Mayor Don Williamson highlighted an assault on violent crime Thursday during his second State of the City address.

Williamson focused on a new anti-crime task force assembled with police personnel from the city, Genesee County, FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The task force members would target violent crime and gangs and could debut in 30 days.

"We are declaring war on criminals in Flint," Williamson said to a crowd of more than 150 people gathered at City Hall.

The 51-minute speech was built around themes of teamwork and good decisions and contrasted sharply with a year ago when council members withheld applause - illustrating a divide that led to a wave of bickering and lawsuits.

But in November, voters ousted four incumbents and ushered in a pro-Williamson slate. Those members clapped freely Thursday. The anti-crime fight was one of several initiatives mentioned during the
Others included:

The possibility that residents won't see water and sewer rates rise for four years.

A vow to repave about 140 miles of city streets and perhaps more. Last year, the city paved 140 miles during what Williamson termed "the biggest improvement effort in our history."

Plans to rebuild three bridges: the Chevrolet Avenue and Garland Street bridges over the Flint River and the 12th Street bridge over Thread Creek.

Several road projects, including rebuilding Fifth Avenue, paving E. Court Street from I-475 to Avon Street and repaving portions of Chevrolet Avenue, W. Court Street and Lapeer Road.
Several road projects, including rebuilding Fifth Avenue, paving E. Court Street from I-475 to Avon Street and repaving portions of Chevrolet Avenue, W. Court Street and Lapeer Road.

The speech also featured Williamson's signature bombast. Council President Darryl E. Buchanan isn't merely good, the mayor said, he's the best council president in "the world."

At one point, Williamson asked Finance Director Peter Dobrzeniecki to stand up. Williamson asked whether there was a tighter-run city around.

"Absolutely not," Dobrzeniecki said.

The mayor's teamwork theme reflected a newfound civility, Buchanan said.

"It gives people hope," Buchanan said.

Williamson noted historic accomplishments achieved through teamwork such as slashing Flint's $28-million deficit and building a $6.1-million surplus - the first in six years.

Teamwork also helped reopen several community and senior centers and inspired work crews to paint over graffiti and demolish dozens of blighted homes, he said.

Williamson reiterated his "Save All of America" plan to fix Delphi Corp. and General Motors. The plan, presented last month to Steve Miller, Delphi's chief executive officer, includes having employees of both companies and their suppliers invest 5 percent of their gross pay for five years in the companies' stock.

The mayor delivered a direct appeal to the Delphi chief.

The speech was peppered with his administration's anti-crime efforts, and Williamson touted a drop in major crimes last year. However, there have been 14 homicides this year after a year with the highest murder total in more than a decade.

Flint resident Alex Harris said Williamson's crime comments were "disingenuous."

"He's playing with the facts," said Harris, 50, a retired corrections officer.

Williamson also reiterated plans to reopen the city jail and hire more officers with money generated from a city-run impound lot. Councilman Scott Kincaid questioned whether the impound lot will succeed.

"If the lot doesn't raise millions, does that mean he won't hire officers and won't open the jail?" Kincaid asked after the speech. "I don't think the city can wait."

Williamson said teamwork will help the city continue to make progress.

"We got lots of catching up to do, and we are working on it," he said. "At least I am."

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-34/114079845571000.xml&coll=5&thispage=1
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Councilman Scott Kincaid questioned whether the impound lot will succeed.

I think Councilman Kincaid would have a press conference to say it is sunny if the Mayor said it was raining!! Laughing
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
AdamFord

Was this speech today? Sounds like a decent speech. We really need to do something about jobs though. I do feel that Buchanan is a good president. I personally would like to see Lewis St repaved particularly along the riverfront. With lack of jobs I expect more youth to turn to selling drugs, stealing and murdering. Sad There is definately a ton of graffitti all over the city though. I wish I could advertise for free all over Flint. It's also probably easier for gangs to operate on the streets of Flint. I think I would need a permit to run a business on the streets but gangs don't have to worry about permits. With some anti-small business ordinances such as the stupid garage sale ordinance it's no wonder people turn to illegal jobs. It's pretty dumb. If this city was as good at stopping crime as we are at stopping home based businesses I think we would be in a lot better shape which is why I might be running for mayor next year even if I am the wrong age, color and party.

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:17 pm 
Ted J

quote:
I think Councilman Kincaid would have a press conference to say it is sunny if the Mayor said it was raining!!

Well what do you expect? The Don at every turn plays politics with Him and Sims. When he is asked about something. It is his oppertunity to retaliate. I'm not saying it is the right thing to do. It just happens that way.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:50 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: