FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 100+ arrested over weekend Flint - Jail temporarily reopened

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

City of Flint takes stand on crime More than 100 arrested in one weekend
By Matt Franklin
FLINT (WJRT) - (02/19/07)--The city of Flint has taken a stand against crime after more that 100 people were arrested and put in jail in just one weekend.

Over the weekend, the Flint City Jail was temporarily reopened just hours after the mayor declared a crime emergency in the city.

The department's acting police chief says this is just another tool in his effort to fight crime.

Acting Police Chief Gary Hagler says the department will continue to open the city jail occasionally until the staff is in place and some minor maintenance issues are fixed to keep it open on a 24/7 basis.

The Flint police jail was open this past weekend on Friday and Saturday nights from 7 p.m. until 3 a.m. In all, 116 people were arrested on various felony and misdemeanor charges.

Many of those either took care of their legal issues right away or were sent over to the Genesee County Jail. The effort was not a warrant sweep; the acting chief says these were people arrested for suspicious activity.

The acting chef says many of the people were surprised when they were arrested and taken to the third floor of police headquarters.

Before the jail is opened on a regular basis, 21 new guards and seven supervisors need to be hired. More than $1 million to fund the jail is coming from the new city-run impound lot.

The arrests were also the result of directed patrols that took place on the city's northwest side. The Flint department got help from the Michigan State Police and the State Police Fugitive Team.

A target date to open the jail on a regular basis is set for May 21.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5048076

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The acting chef says many of the people were surprised when they were arrested and taken to the third floor of police headquarters.

No kidding they were surprised. They have been conditioned for so long that nothing will ever happen they didn't know what to think. NOW!!! KEEP IT OPEN!! AND WATCH CRIME GO DOWN AND/OR LEAVE FLINT!

I give this advise freely. Because, the safety of the citizens should never be a political issue!
Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"Many of those either took care of their legal issues right away or were sent over to the Genesee County Jail. The effort was not a warrant sweep; the acting chief says these were people arrested for suspicious activity."

wow. is there a legal definition of "suspicious activity"?

bet we see the police sweep the next council meeting with that definition in place as the reason to place people under arrest...

the don tells hagler, keep 5-6 places warm in the jail;

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:56 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Had to laugh about the Journal article that reported Chief Hagler driving down Miller Road when he saw a male putting a female into the trunk of a car at the store at Knight Street. He put his hand on his weapon and cried halt, and called for backup. Both parties said it was just a joke, but then the joke backfired when the guy got arrested for two outstanding felony warrants!
Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:26 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Had to laugh about the Journal article that reported Chief Hagler driving down Miller Road when he saw a male putting a female into the trunk of a car at the store at Knight Street. He put his hand on his weapon and cried halt, and called for backup. Both parties said it was just a joke, but then the joke backfired when the guy got arrested for two outstanding felony warrants!

Was he on his way to pull his shift as private security guard for the Mayor's mansion?

I hear they have a guard 24/7 on Patsy Lou's 55 gallon drums of spray on tan.

Hope he pulled his bullett out of his breast pocket and put it in his sidearm first.

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

lol wow.. what a crime fighter the TEMP is..

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

Gary Hagler never was a street cop, he doesn't know much about being out in a car , or walking the beat.

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

http://www.ted4mayor.com/crime_fighting.htm

Hmm, let's see. hagler was surprised? I predicted it! See sub paragraph h.

I don't just make promises or say I'm going to do something, without knowing what the benefit is going to be!

All these people running saying what they are going to do. I doubt many even know what benchmarks they will have.

Everything I want to do. Will have results! Becuase those are the results that have worked in city's all over the USA. For some reason, Flint just likes to throw money at a probelm without demanding they get something for it!
Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Just so people understand I do give credit where credit is due. This arrest of over a hundered criminals and housing them in the city jail is a new record! Considering before this date! There had never been more than 58 people at one time in the jail! Congrates DON!
Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:14 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Ted Jankowski"]Just so people understand I do give credit where credit is due. This arrest of over a hundered criminals and housing them in the city jail is a new record! Considering before this date! There had never been more than 58 people at one time in the jail! Congrates DON![/quote]

Why congratulate Don. He didn't arrest anybody. Just proves the police could do something about the criminals if they had somewhere to put them.
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:29 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I give cudo's to DON because he is the Chief!

The Mayor was the one to open the jail! Granted he didn't do the arresting.

However, without a place to put the criminals. They haven't been able to arrest anyone.
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:06 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
http://www.ted4mayor.com/crime_fighting.htm

Hmm, let's see. hagler was surprised? I predicted it! See sub paragraph h.

I don't just make promises or say I'm going to do something, without knowing what the benefit is going to be!

All these people running saying what they are going to do. I doubt many even know what benchmarks they will have.

Everything I want to do. Will have results! Becuase those are the results that have worked in city's all over the USA. For some reason, Flint just likes to throw money at a probelm without demanding they get something for it!

The morale in the police department is at an all time low, these cops need a good true proven leader!

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Now lets hope Mayor Don gets more police on the street soon!

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ryan, Why do we need three times as many cops? We already have twice as many as we need!

The problem isn't not enough cops on the street! The problem is not getting the criminal off the street! Locking them up! Solving the problem permanently! Keeping kids in school and helping them get into college! That is permanent.

When police arrest the same criminal 3 times a day because they don't have any place to lock them up. How many officers will it take?

We need to start looking at permanent solutions! More officers isn't permanent!
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:05 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: