FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Report Aluminum Siding theives get $1,000

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-42/1172249410162240.xml&coll=5

Friday, February 23, 2007
By Dan Fearson
dfearson@flintjournal.com 810.766.6249
FLINT - The theft and subsequent recycling of aluminum siding and copper from houses is such big business in Genesee County that Flint Crime Stoppers is offering rewards for information leading to arrests.

The Genesee Landlord Association and Flint Crime Stoppers have teamed up.

"We're fighting back. We're tired of thieves vandalizing our homes," said Terry Hanson, director of the GLA.

Flint police and the GLA held a press conference Thursday afternoon. Hanson said the GLA is putting up five billboards around the city to let people know about the rewards of up to $1,000.

"(There are) many properties people are walking away from because of the theft problems," said Hanson. "If people continue to walk away, you're going to see wholesale neighborhoods abandoned."

GLA member and community organizer John Foote said the thefts are hurting the city's image.

"We're trying to save the face and attitude of the city," said Foote.

Hanson said he noticed the trend in copper thefts increased last spring, probably because of an increase in the price of copper.

"The same thing happened in 1988 when prices went up for aluminum, so the city placed ordinances saying you need to have a permit to sell aluminum siding," Hanson said.

Hanson said the GLA has sent a letter and CD-ROM to area recycling centers notifying them of the problem.

Flint police said that many of the thieves are posing as household repair workers.

Police ask citizens who see suspicious activity around houses to call 911 and then call Crime Stoppers at (800) 422-JAIL.

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:23 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Hey what happened to my response to this one?
Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

OK I'll rewrite it!
references :Flint Journal Articles.
http://www.cityofflint.net/if_it_wasn%27t_so_easy.htm

quote:
Some days, some Flint streets seem like grocery store aisles as thieves push shopping carts or load their cars with aluminum siding stripped from abandoned houses.

The thefts are brazen, sometimes happening in broad daylight, Price said. One thief stole a screen door and hauled it away while riding a bike.

How hard is it to find these guys?

quote:
...Chuck's Recycling in Genesee Township.

He says he turns some siding away and requires driver's licenses from sellers, who are recorded on security cameras.

Hmmm Police have their driver's license numbers.. Video tape of them selling it? What more evidence do you need? Why do you need to offer a reward?

So here we have another feel good do noting solution. To a none problem! That doesn't exist! The problem isn't finding the criminal! The Problem isn't people not coming forward to help police catch these thieves.

It's police having the time to baby sit the criminal. Since they cannot put them in Jail because the Mayor has up till now refused to open the City Jail. And NOW he wants to do it spending half a million more than it cost to operate the last year it was open. Where's the extra Half Million going? Oops, we'll never know. because he hasn't presented a plan, he hasn't presented a budget, he hasn't provided any numbers! He declared an emergency because he doesn't have the intelligence to put together a plan and present it council for approval. It's easier to spend a half million more in payoffs rather than have his plan. Have any oversight!

Smoke and mirrors! Smoke and Mirrors! Don't focus on the solution! Keep the amusement live! Offer money to prove your resolve. Fully knowing that finding the criminal and having the evidence is not the problem! This guy is a con man at best! And not even a good one!
Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Oops, forgot another quote..
quote:
Enforcement is the problem, said Terry Hanson, executive officer of the Genesee Landlords Association. Landlords and tenants call police and even take photos of offenders, but officers typically do not respond, he said.

Even have photo's of the criminals stealing the stuff.
Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:13 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Good points Ted. Maybe if you call the police and then crime stoppers they will actually do something and plus you will make some money.

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:42 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Naww reporting crime is just the right thing to do. It helps the community when people do what is right! It's just frustrating when people go out of thier way to help police and nothing gets done!
Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:52 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: