FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Go Sandy! Go Taryn! GO AWAY MILTON!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
flintteacher

Didn't I tell you all that this segment on TV12 News was coming? Way to go Central teachers. WE DID IT! Now follow suit the rest of you teachers in the FCS!
Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:27 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I just saw the story on 12 news. I'm glad the situation is in the forefront and going to be resolved hopefully.

I didn't go to Flint schools and am a little confused on some things though.

After the whole Columbine things, my high school had a city police officer on the premises at all times, along with two or three adult hall moniters. My high school was relatively laid back and they mostly helped keeping students from roaming the halls, skipping class, breaking up occasional fights, helping in student health emergencies, and other such things.

I think that if a student did something severely threatening or violent, the police office could have arrested them.... I'm not 100% sure on that because neither I nor any of my close friends were ever in big trouble.

Do the Flint schools have anything like this?
Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:09 pm 
KW
F L I N T O I D

I, too, was happy to see Taryn Asher going that hard after Milton's Minions. Ms. Plotz was outstanding!

While I am totally dismayed at the violence and complete chaos in our buildings, I took a guilty pleasure in watching the Self-Serving doing their level best to fain surprise and concern over the gross lack of discipline and gross amount of violence that we have to deal with constantly. I do not think that anyone was fooled by their responses.

They are not only aware of the situation, but they regularly whitewash and even conceal situations that are dangerous, if not life-threatening.

Something is going to give--and soon.
Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:42 pm 
flintteacher

Yes, we have an on-duty Flint cop on campus the entire day! We randomly see Flint police cars parked through out the day on campus (especially when school is being dismissed and during lunch). Our "adult" monitors are supposed to be our administrators and security guards. But there is too much chaos during the day for our security guards to be EVERYWHERE all the TIME!
Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:31 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Have the schools tried getting volunteers to monitor the halls? I was told there is an excess of people willing to volunteer to tutor Flint students. At Davison we didn't have any police, barely any hall monitors and hardly any fights except in elementary school but ithen it was mainly for entertainment. It seemed like most everyone grew up in Davison by the time they got to high school. I wouldn't be surprised though that if you get poor kids with no future no hope and nothing to strive for all that's left is your honor so you might want to fight to protect that and you'd probably want to make damn sure you win.

I think it's be easy to solve Flint's fighting problem with a more conservative mentality. If the winner is the one that started the fight expel that person. If the loser is the one that started it tell him to start another fight. Eventually if you get your ass kicked enough times you might stop picking fights or just grow up.

Another method is if it's a fair fight let kids beat the crap out of each other. That may sound strange to some people but the smart kids will learn that maybe fighting is not the best way to solve your problems when they see the blood on the floor or maybe kids are just a lot dumber in Flint than they are in Davison. After a while it was harder for us smart kids to egg on the dumber kids to beat each other up. Another trategy to use would be to do something like slam the winner on the ground or you could taser him if you're a lady monitor.

If you have some honorable kids in Flint schools like we did in Davison often kids will even police themselves. I would never break up a fight if it was a fair mutual thing except when someone is getting beat to a pulp I would step in.

Another advantage in Flint is you could send kids down to Berston. Mabe then we'd get another Chris Bird.

I guess I won't make the volunteer hall monitor thing huh? I bet the days I was there the kids wouldn't fight because the loser would be sure he'd get his ass beat down and the winner most likely get slammed to the floor. If he to big or resisted I'm sure a good tasering would eliminate the problem.

Feel free to ignore this whole post. Some of this stuff has actually worked in Davison but we never needed any tasering of course. Since we are talking about Flint here the most likely strategy we will do to deal this simple problem is some community meetings were we can discuss this and most likely not implement any solutions we come up with.

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:02 pm 
Dortpimp
F L I N T O I D

Fighting won't solve anything dog- I say lets run a few of our high schools "boot camp" style for those students who refuse to get with the program.

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:49 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: