FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 9 years to get Flint killer back on the streets.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I was reading the sentencings http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-42/1171898520130600.xml&coll=5

"Boone, Barry N., 21, of Flint; 7 years, 2 months to 15 years MDOC for manslaughter; 2 years MDOC for felony firearms; Feb. 5, Genesee Circuit Judge Judith A. Fullerton."

What this means is Judge Fullerton may get one of Flint's murderers back on the streets in less than 10 years.

Since Boone is going to state prison he would not have added to the county prison population. Thanks to Judge Fullerton Boone may be back to Flint in time to addd to the county overcrowding problem or even kill again.

http://www.mlive.com/cafe/index.ssf?/newslogs/fljournal/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_flintjournalextra/archives/2006_03.html

"Two Flint men face a preliminary examination in Flint District Court on Monday, charged in the murder of 16-year-old Marquan T. Hinkle.

The two are Barry N. Boone, 20, who was arrested by Flint police last week, and Kelly R. Gay, 19, arrested Tuesday."

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:44 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
Since Boone is going to state prison he would not have added to the county prison population. Thanks to Judge Fullerton Boone may be back to Flint in time to addd to the county overcrowding problem or even kill again.
Boone was given 330 days credit on his sentence for already being part of the Genesee County Jail population from date of arrest to date of sentencing. The original charge was open murder; he was found guilty of manslaughter and a weapons charge. His and his co-defendant's sentences to state prison will free up two Genesee County Jail beds for other locals. "Back in time to add to the county overcrowding problem" is moot for now.
Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:18 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

8 years for killing someone doesn't seem like a soft sentence to you? I can see why people in Flint sometimes decide to take matters into their own hands. It seems like she could have at least sentenced him to 10-15 years. After looking into this more it's hard to believe that the maximum penalty of manslughter is 15 years.

Apparently criminals are better off killing people than going into the coccaine drug business. http://www.injusticeline.com/Quebec.html

It's interesting that we live in a state that feels coccaine posession is a worse crime than killing someone.

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:11 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

All of the correctional facilities in Michigan are filled up. Whether or not they send someone to prison or the county jail, chances are, they'll be out before they should be to free up room for someone else.
Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:47 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Adam, you use the phrase "killing someone" and say "After looking into this more it's hard to believe that the maximum penalty of manslughter (sic) is 15 years." Just how far did you look into this? Did you read the initial police reports, preliminary examination testimony, and presentence report? Review the judge's remarks at sentencing? Review the definitions of murder, its degrees, and manslaughter, and the penalties for all? You might be further alarmed by this: "Manslaughter—Any person who shall commit the crime of manslaughter shall be guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the state prison, not more than 15 years or by fine of not more than 7,500 dollars , or both, at the discretion of the court."

It's very easy to jump to conclusions and make judgments based on what we read in newspapers and listening to the personal opinions of others. However, in order to make fair judgment one must have all the facts, and I dare say we the general public don't. That's what we pay the government to do for us.
Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:59 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: