FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Accusations of absentee ballot fraud arise

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Problems arise in Flint's First Ward
By Taryn Asher
FLINT (WJRT) - (02/15/07)--With less than two weeks until Election Day, there are accusations of absentee ballot fraud in Flint's First Ward.

There is now an investigation into the recall election against Flint City Council President Darryl Buchanan.

Authorities won't comment on the specific allegations, but we've learned a number of people have complained about someone soliciting at a senior center in Flint's First Ward.

The suspect is accused of asking seniors to sign their envelope and hand over the unmarked ballot.

"The type of people who work for me have a clean slate," Buchanan said.

It's been learned the city clerk's office has also received several other complaints of solicitation; those complaints are now in the hands of local and state authorities.

Someone is allegedly trying to convince seniors to authorize and hand over their absentee ballots so they can vote for them.

"No one in the Buchanan camp is taking people's ballots," Buchanan said.

Buchanan says he feels the group Enough is Enough -- led by political activist Eric Mayes, which spearheaded the recall effort against him -- is crossing the line.

"A lady called me and said a member of the Enough is Enough committee is calling her and asking her what she's doing with her ballot," Buchanan said. "She says, 'Ma'am, my ballot is private. Don't call me.'"

After that phone call and a letter written and circulated by the recall group, Buchanan filed a complaint with the Genesee County Elections Office.

"We don't want anyone trying to intimidate individuals who are trying to vote absentee," Buchanan said.

Mayes, who is part of the recall effort, didn't return phone calls. It's important to note that ballot solicitation is considered a felony.

The recall election for Buchanan is set for Feb. 27.
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5038701

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets hope this proves to be wrong

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

This is not the first time Mays has defrauded absentee ballots. Sooner or later he will be caught!
Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:42 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: