FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: What Walling told the Pastors on 1420

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I laughed when Walling told Pastor Flynn to seek funds from the Economic Development Corporation (EDC). Either Walling is misleading or he does not know that the EDC is almost broke.

Also the funds established for the Flint Area Investment Fund are nearly gone and the Enterprise Zone designation is expiring. The government (HUD) complained that Flint had funded too many micro-enterprise agencies so they were all combined into the Flint Genesee Chamber of Commerce. The minority chamber of commerce, led by Jean Conyers, was merged.

In the CDBG allocation, Brown gave money to Tim Herman's group, citing them as a sole source which was not true. Other groups have operated as micro enterprise development agencies for designated populations. Brown also ignored the conflict of interess in the move as Herman is on his 5 member advisory group and Dwayne Miller, a Vice President of the Genesee Region Chamber of Commerce, was a pro-bono employee in Brown's office. Although I believe Brown made Miller a contract employee, the conflict remains in place for at least a year per HUD rules.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pastor Flynn challenged Walling on the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP 3) substantial amendment that gave the majority of funding to the Stone Street carriage town area. Flynn argued that the greatest area of disinvestment, foreclosures and vacancies was the north end and used the Genesee County Land Bank map to illustrate his position to Walling.

This area was also a priority of the Land bank during the Williamson administration and Dan Kildee, with the aid of LISC, put together an intensive plan to revitalize that area. The discovery of indian bones siderailed much of that initial plan. Carriage Town hs been on the development back burner for more than 25 years.

In the development scheme known as the "New Urbanism", the devastated urban areas are redeveloped in the same manner as the city was built. That means from the downtown areas out. The concept includes the development of a walkable and pedestrian friendly community.

The north end of Flint was the latest to be developed.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

For the first time that I am aware of, Walling stated much of the new development money was to facillitate and stabilize HURLey and defended his administrations determination that this area was the greatest need.

When driving west of Hurley to Duponteast to Grand Traverse, and north to Welch, the area bounded by Grand Traverse and Dupont, it is hard to miss that preparation for more development is occurring.

There is serious demolition, even among houses that were recently rehabbed. Whole areas are barren and ready for new development. New utilities are being installed. When residents ask to purchase homes or land in this area that are owned by the Genesee County Land Bank, they are informed these properties can be purchased only by Salem Housing.

This is interesting because salem Housing was a big portion of the HUD monitoring report that is costing Flint a MILLION dollars in repayment. Download the Land Bank policy and procedures and Salem Housing does not meet the qualifications for the purchase of Land Bank properties.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:34 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It shouldn't surprise anyone if the Metawaneenee Hills area is the next area to be developed. After all when the so-called plan for this area was developed, two of the Walling administration were actively involved with the creation of the plan and Wendy Johnson sat on the board of directors of salem Housing. Tracy Atkinson still lives on Seminole and Johnson lives on Welch. Atkinson was and may still be a leader in the Metawanenee group.

In one of his speeches, Walling stated there was a survey completed and it was determined that 500 new houses were needed close to downtown.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:42 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This document is 40 pages long. Jacqueline Foster was the grant administrator.

[PDF]
NSP3 o F~t - City of Flint

www.cityofflint.com/images/NSP3%20Substantial%20Amendment%20Application.pdf

Jan 1, 2012 ... will be accomplished through a partnership with the Flint Housing ... The NSP3Substantial Amendment was made available for public ...
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling seemed almost "feisty" with Pastor Flynn as he danced around the issues. When Flynn addressed the conflicts of interest surrounding Brown, Tim Herman and Duane Miller. Walling snapped that he was "not a lawyer'.

I was somewhat confused when Pastor Threkheld insisted on prayer in the middle of the interview. I am told that is his personal anger management technique. Trust me there was enough to get angry about. I don't like being flim-flamed either.

Even Sheldon Neeley called in on the next show to call Walling a liar.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling told Flynn the community would have input into the upcoming master plan. This plan will be mostly a land use plan and will determine how Flint will be rebuilt in the future. Walling pointed out there is one person selected from each ward on the committee meetings, and the meeting are open to the public. However, you must go to city hall to get the meeting schedule. The meetings are at the public library.

That all sounded legit. Then my phone started ringing. It seems the ward representatives are of the belief their input is discredited and devalued. I am told that one member walked out of the last meeting and Walling and Mottt control the input. I immediately assumed Mott Foundation, but I am checking to see if they meant something else.

The Mott Foundation was instrumental in the large discussion on master plans and rebuilding cities about four years ago. Metro Housing and Tim Herman led much of the discussion at the end that addressed the master plan. nancy Jurkiewicz-Rich was upset when she was allowed to address the master plan issue and told the roup they could have a master plan if they could find the million plus dollars to prepare one.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Here is the link to the Neighborhoods in Bloom program from richmond of Virginia. Representatives from this group were the featured speaker at the discussion I mentioned. Remember leader from our community were looking at this program as a blueprint towards redeveloping Flint.

[PDF]
The Ripple Effect

www.lisc.org/files/762_file_ripple_effect.pdf

An overview of the City of Richmond's Neighborhoods in Bloom initiative and the quantifiable .... housing starts and nearby economic development activities.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:32 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

here is a 20 page plan from Buffalo as they propose to use the neighborhoods in bloom concept. You will recognize some plans being implemented in Flint.

[PDF]
BUFFALO NEIGHBORHOOD ACTION PLAN:

ppg-buffalo.wikispaces.com/file/view/Richmond's+neighborhoods+in+bloom.pdf

practice in Richmond, Virginia, through its Neighborhoods in Bloom (NIB) plan, ... community revitalization than traditional, large-scale economic development ...
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Neighborhoods in Bloom - Briefs - Federal Reserve Bank of ...

www.richmondfed.org/publications/community_development/briefs/neighborhoods...

The Neighborhoods in Bloom report assesses the impact of targeted ... In 1999, the City of Richmond divided to target the bulk of its federal community Development ... revisits the Neighborhoods in Bloom initiative for insight into the economic ...

The Federal Reserve Bank evaluated the results of the Richmond project. Between 1999 and 2004, much federal money was poured into four targeted poor urban areas. The results were that even homes that were not renovated through this project saw an increased value.

I remember the Richmond speaker addressing the issue on how the money could not be distributed evenly throughout the city, as there were be no discernable result. Walling echoed this thought -that small neighborhood units should be targeted for a maximun effect.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Here is a valuable 43 page document that addresses vacant properties and the broken window concept. Flint and the Genesee county land bank are briefly mentioned on pages 25-26.

For those who truly want to be informed read anything by Alan Mallach.

PDF]
he Revitalization of Vacant Properties: Where ...

www.usmayors.org/brownfields/library/Revitalization_of_Vacant_Proper...- Similarto he Revitalization of Vacant Properties: Where ...

Richmond's Neighborhoods in Bloom initiative coordinates its code enforcement and rehabilitation ..... The City of Flint, Michigan, and Genesee County are ...
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:04 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Wes Janz wrote this provacative essay on Flint. He wrote other pieces on Flint in the past, I believe for the Genesee Institute.

Yo will recognize colorful characters like Adam Geric and his "human sacrifices" requested as well as Keith in his carriage Town squat.
Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint poised to craft first master plan since 1960 -- when jobs were plentiful and industry boomed

Published: Friday, February 17, 2012, 7:00 PM Updated: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 9:07 PM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
(excerpt)

One of the major pieces of the master planning process is currently underway, Walling said.

A 21-member steering committee is working on a strategy for community engagement that will "spark" the ideas and hopes of community members, according to the vision statement submitted by the committee.

"People of all ages, races, socio-economic background and abilities, across all sections of the city of Flint, will be included and no one will be excluded," the statement reads.

Flint resident Benny Spence, a GM retiree who has lived in Flint most of his life, said he hopes the city takes the community engagement process seriously.

The bottom line, he said, is that the people who live in the city should have a heavy hand in writing the plan.

"They should respect the wishes of the people who live in these communities," he said. "It would be hard for me to go in to the communities and suggest what should be done when I don’t live there. Ask those people whether or not they want a community garden or whether or not they want something built there that's going to be beneficial to the entire community."

Other partners in the planning process include the Flint School District, C.S. Mott Foundation and Ruth Mott Foundation and the Center for Community Progress, a national group led by former county Treasurer Dan Kildee
Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I am told the funds for the Hurley area have been diverted to downtown.
Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: