FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: HIGHER FLINT INCOME TAX?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sheldon Neeley kicks off emergency manager meeting by calling for income tax increase

Published: Thursday, March 01, 2012, 5:49 PM Updated: Thursday, March 01, 2012, 5:51 PM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
Follow

FLINT, Michigan -- City Councilman Sheldon Neeley is continuing to advocate for an income tax increase as the city tries to eliminate an approximately $12 million budget deficit this year.

Neeley said a property tax increase would hit Flint residents too hard, and is not the answer to the city's budget troubles.

But he would like to see the city pursue a tax increase for people who work in Flint, he said.

"I don't believe in increasing property taxes, but I do believe we should go after an income tax increase," he said.

Neeley made the comments at a 6th Ward community meeting, the last of nine ward meetings held by emergency manager Michael Brown since Feb. 2. It's scheduled to last until 7 p.m. at Bethel United Methodist Church on Ballenger Highway.

Increasing the income tax would require a law change at the state level. Discussion had centered around raising the tax to 1.5 percent for residents and .75 percent for non-residents.

Local lawmakers said last year they would pursue the issue, but warned city council members that getting an income tax passed would not be easy.

Still, Neeley said he would like to see the measure pass the state Legislature this year.
Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:23 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Sheldon Neeley kicks off emergency manager meeting by calling for income tax increase

Published: Thursday, March 01, 2012, 5:49 PM Updated: Thursday, March 01, 2012, 5:51 PM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
Follow

FLINT, Michigan -- City Councilman Sheldon Neeley is continuing to advocate for an income tax increase as the city tries to eliminate an approximately $12 million budget deficit this year.

Neeley said a property tax increase would hit Flint residents too hard , and is not the answer to the city's budget troubles.

" I don't believe in increasing property taxes, but I do believe we should go after an income tax increase ," he said.

Increasing the income tax would require a law change at the state level. Discussion had centered around raising the tax to 1.5 percent for residents and .75 percent for non-residents.

Mr. Neeley, I agree with many of your proposals, but this one is not well thought out.

You think that taking the money from Flint residents through property taxes is wrong, but it is OK to take it from them by raising income taxes! Do you really think people give a damn if you are taking the money out of their left pocket or right? All they care about is that you are taking their money.

This city already has a large number of people moving away due to crime, lack of city services and this type of leadership! You are just giving them one more reason to move away. Hell, I can save .75% on my income taxes if I just move out of the City of Flint. I would not be the only one to take that attitude. For those that have stayed, despite what little Flint has left to offer, you might just push them over the edge to move out of Flint.

Mr. Neeley, where were you and the rest of council when Walling was spending huge amounts of money above what was allowed in the budget? Council has authority to stop illegal splending, but all council did about it was whine and complain. Get off your asses, read your charter and do something about it. Now that the horse is out of the barn, you want to close the gate. Why is it that taxpayers have to always be the ones to pay for the inadequacies (especially the illegal kind) of our administration? Mr. Neeley (or any other council member), please correct me if I am wrong or missing some vital bit of information.

Thomas Jefferson
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:55 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

We need to go through with bankruptcy and repeal the city income tax. We need more rich people in Flint who have money to spend and not less.

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Adam- The crime rate in Flint is driving people away. One of the richest areas in Flint, Woodcroft, is not having B & E's.
People are moving out of the Miller rd area.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:39 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Webs, it should read "is now having B&E's."
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

You are right typo. Colchester and Parkside Dr have both been hit in the last 3 days
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:05 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Doesn't Flint taxes and regulations drive businesses and jobs away in addition to crime. It took us 3 years to open up a hoop house and I've read even the Uptown people had some delays due to our excessive ordinances.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: