FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLUSHING POLICE-AN ARGUMENT FOR CONSOLIDATION?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Attorney for disbanded Flushing Township Police Department officers 'prepared to go to court'

Published: Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 6:00 PM

By Ron Fonger | RFONGER1@mlive.com
Follow

FLUSHING TWP., Michigan -- An attorney for the Police Officers Labor Council, which represents officers in the township's disbanded police department, said he's prepared to go to court to block the township from replacing his clients.

"If necessary, we're prepared to go to court (to seek a restraining order) but we don't want to," Thomas R. Zulch, an attorney representing the officers, said today.

The threat comes as the county Board of Commissioners begins to consider a contract to replace the township officers with Sheriff's Department deputies on a contract basis.

Commissioners, who took no action today, find themselves in a difficult situation in deciding what to do.

Township officials and police officers have been unable to reach agreement on a new contract and have binding arbitration scheduled for next month to resolve issues the two sides haven't agreed to.

The county's interim corporation counsel told the commissioners today that she believes state law requires the county provide police patrols if the township is willing to pay for them.

Zulch said he's waiting to see how commissioners act before heading to court.

Flushing Township board members and officers both addressed commissioners during a a committee meeting today, and township resident Fay Peek said a combined police force, including at least Flushing and Flushing Township, makes the most sense for residents.

Peek said instead of taking on those negotiations seriously, the township board decided to contract quickly "before the arbitration hearing."

Township Supervisor Terry Peck, however, said officials made an honest effort to work out a new contract with police.

"This has not been a rush. We appreciate our officers," Peck said. "This is not an easy decision for anybody."

The county is under pressure to act quickly on the proposal for patrols because the township board's decision to disband the police department came without having replacement patrols set up.

Police Chief Dale Stevenson continues to patrol during a morning shift and other calls for help have been broadcast over the county 911 system. Michigan State Police and the county Sheriff's Department have handled most of those after-hours calls this month.
Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:44 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Archie Bailey, the Genesee county Commissioner for the Flushing area discussed this issue in great detail.

When the police officers were laid off, they were placed on a two week administrative leave with pay and full benefits. However, they were not to report to work. Bailey called the issue one of Personality,Politics and more. He had spoken to the MIchigan State Police and Flushing City and both entities indicated they would not routinely patrol the township.

Bailey referred to the Sunday Flint Journal articles on rising juvenile crime in the Flushing area and stated a full time officer was needed for the Flushing school.

The March 2nd arbitration hearing for the police will go on irregardless, said Bailey. he accurately predicted the officers would sue to get their jobs back. A police millage passed last November was for police services, not necessarily a police department.

Bailey also called for consolidation with another department and cited MSU School of Criminal Justice as an expert on such consolidations. Ted Henry from the Clayton Township area agreed on the collaboration effort.Henry indicated the police departments in the neighboring townships were concerned about the situation.

Interim Corporate Counsel cited laws that specified the county had a legal obligation and the sheriff must provide a police response to the township, especially since township officials requested help. We are entitled to be paid for these services, she said.Henry argued for more legal research and stated there is probably case law on both sides of the issue.

The commissioners, especially Miles Gadola, expressed to being uncomfortable at being placed in a position where they might be micromanaging other communities. Do we have an obligation to honor other elected officials requests, said Gadola.
Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:04 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flushing Township provides school resource officer until contract signed with sheriff's department

Published: Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 8:00 PM

By Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com
Follow

FLUSHING TOWNSHIP, Michigan -- Flushing Township will continue to provide a resource officer for school buildings in the area despite layoff notices sent to the township's three officers.

Sgt. Brian Fairchild, who was placed on paid administrative leave along with two officers, has remained on board as the district's resource officer.

Chief Dale Stevenson said Fairchild will remain in the schools until the township finalizes a contract with the Genesee County Sheriff's Department for police coverage because he is contracted under a different bargaining unit and the majority of his contract is paid by the school district.

"Officer (Brian) Fairchild is still our liaison officer," said Flushing schools Superintendent Tim Stein. "It's the same schedule every day."

Stein said the resource officer is primarily located in the high school, but he also goes to the middle school and elementary schools if necessary.

The officer handles security and traffic-related issues, Stein said, as well as potential crimes involving drugs or other situations.

"We are fortunate that we don’t have a lot (of incidents), but if we didn’t have somebody there, it would be difficult to handle those situations," Stein said. "It’s just being prepared and proactive, to try and prevent problems from occurring."

Flushing Township officials have kept the school district in the loop in terms of their negotiations with the sheriff's department. A contract agreement is not expected for at least another two weeks.

"They have kept in touch. I know they are working on the process," Stein said. "They have been good about communicating with us. I’m sure we’ll have time to deal with the situation."

Peck said any new contract for a resource officer would be between the school district - which pays $50,000 of Fairchild's salary - and county sheriff's department.

"If the sheriff’s department is providing law enforcement to the township, that will be the one that we will be talking to," Stein said. "My intention is to have an officer at the high school. My primary concern is the safety of the students."
Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:08 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Can't wait until they lose and the officers come back. And it's Flushing Township at issue, not Flushing.

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Dem, we gotta get together for lunch sometime.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Clayton Township, Flushing Township officials discuss possible consolidation

Published: Sunday, March 04, 2012, 1:30 PM Updated: Sunday, March 04, 2012, 2:12 PM

By Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com

GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- Flushing Township supervisor Terry Peck said an alternate plan if approval does not come for a contract with the county's sheriff department does not include Clayton Township.

Board members from both sides met with Genesee County Commissioner Ted Henry, D-Clayton Township, last week but Peck is still looking for a contract with the county sheriff's department while one Clayton Township official said all options are on the table to save money.

"If the county doesn’t vote, we will have to go back and analyze what we were doing," Peck said. "We’ve got an alternate plan that doesn’t include Clayton Township."

He did not mention the specifics of the alternate plan. Township officials voted last month to disband the police department and seek a contract with the county sheriff's department, but approval must first come for the plan by county commissioners.

Clayton Township officials recently took part in informal talks with Flushing Township and County Commissioner Ted Henry on possible consolidation.

Peck said he previously had informal discussions regarding consolidation with Flushing, Clayton Township and Montrose, but nothing ever materialized from those talks.

Several calls have come in from residents, Peck said, upset by comments from County Commissioner Archie Bailey, D-Flushing, who recently called the move by Flushing Township union busting and he could not provide his support at this time.

"They are absolutely livid when they hear that. They want to know what to do," said Peck. "He has to do what he thinks is best. Our township, from what we are getting from our residents, is they want us to go forward (with the sheriff's department)."

Township resident Sandy Lanxton would like to see the department and officers remain in the area under a joint police force.

"I do believe we do need to combine forces and get one good chief to run it and let’s be honest and do the right thing," she said.

Clayton Township board member Richard Tesner said all options are on the table with the recent defeat by voters of a 1.6 mill levy for police costs.

"I am in favor of looking at all of our options, which could include consolidation," he said. "I think Mr. Henry's discussions in trying to bring these two forces together is a good idea."

Tesner called the police department's fund healthy while acknowledging a large portion of the general fund is used to pay for costs.

"We are just looking for ways to save the taxpayer’s money and try to put a police department of the streets of our community," he said. "Any way we can save money and maintain a local police department...I am all in favor of it."
Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:54 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: