FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How High will our water bills go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
not everyone can afford to drink bottled water.

I'm more concerned about the people that can't afford to have their water turned on and use it for bathing. $100 a month water and sewer bills help us seem even more like a 3rd world city.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Adam- You scored another one.

Flint exploring interim use of Flint River water until new pipeline built

Published: Friday, February 03, 2012, 1:10 PM Updated: Friday, February 03, 2012, 4:21 PM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com

FLINT, Michigan -- For months, Flint leaders have been presented with a choice: Join the consortium to build a new water pipeline from Lake Huron, or treat water from the Flint River.

Now, emergency manager Michael Brown's team is considering a new option: Why not both?

The city is looking at the possibility of temporarily treating and using Flint River water while the Karegnondi Water Authority moves forward on its plans to build a new water pipeline from Lake Huron, said Howard Croft, the city's director of infrastructure and development.

"It's one option we're looking at that would allow us the opportunities to stabilize water bills, address the dams and address preventative maintenance," said Croft, who was appointed by Brown in December. "It's very possible we could go down this road."

KWA is a group of regional governments formed to break away from the Detroit water system, which has been raising its rates for years. KWA is made up of Genesee, Lapeer and Sanilac counties and the cities of Flint and Lapeer.

Recently, Genesee County leaders have questioned whether the city plans to stay with the pipeline project in light of the state takeover and the appointment of an emergency manager.

Today, Croft said the city "fully expects" to continue forward with KWA.

"This is not slowing down a decision on Karegnondi," he said. "We're not going to delay Karegnondi -- we're going to push it."

The city would have had to upgrade its water system for the pipeline project anyway, he said. Now, it will upgrade the plant to a "higher level" in order to treat Flint River water in the interim until the KWA pipeline is constructed and ready for use.

Croft said the cost of using Flint River water is a "fraction of the cost" of what the city would be paying Detroit. The Detroit water system is planning another rate increase this year, he said.

The money that would have gone to Detroit will instead be used toward improvements on the Flint water system, he said.

"It appears to be something that will work," he said. "We're very close to getting the answers.

"We feel like we've done our due diligence and gathered enough information that we're making a good decision."

Croft said the city will be gathering more information from the state and meeting with county officials in the coming days.

"The decision will ultimately be made with input gathered from a lot of people," he said. "We recognize that we need the (Genesee County) drain commissioner on our side to accomplish this."
Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:50 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee County drain commissioner says Flint should explore all its drinking water options

Published: Friday, February 03, 2012, 6:25 PM

Follow

GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- Genesee County Drain Commissioner Jeff Wright said it's "appropriate" that the city is exploring all its drinking water options.

The city of Flint today said it's exploring the possibility of using Flint River water on an interim basis until the Karegnondi Water Authority completes construction of a water pipeline from Lake Huron.

"I think it's appropriate they look at this as an option," he said. "But I think once they look at it, they’ll find the time frame and the cost is not going to be a benefit to them."

City leaders met with Wright about the KWA project Friday. He said it's moving forward "at the best pace that it can, considering all the circumstances."

Jamie Curtis, chairman of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners, said today he's skeptical the city using Flint River water in the interim wouldn't delay the KWA project.

He called on city leaders to commit to the project if that's their intention. The city would need to sign an agreement for how much water they intend to purchase in order for the project to move forward.

"Sign the capacity agreement and we'll have the project started in the spring," Curtis said. "If their intention isn't to delay the project, then sign the agreement."
Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:54 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Awesome! These water bills are horrible! Let's turn on the plant! Smile That might be a lot of revenue for Flint.

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:32 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County water rates likely to jump 10.9 percent following increase from Detroit

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Today's Detroit News (page A1) has an article written by Steve Pardo about Detroit water rates increasing 8.5%. That means Flint and genesee county will have an even higher rate increase because of our distance and our elevation.

Interestingly enough the costs per thousand gallons of water are actually decreasing while the fixed costs are what is increasing. The article defines the fixed costs as infrastructure, operating and financing costs. These fixed costs have increased dramatically over the last four years and are the cause of the increased rates.

"A lot of those fixed costs are part of the legacy of the Detroit Water and Sewerage system" said state Rep. Kurt Heise, R-Plymouth. "This is a system designed and built for a population and industrial base that doesn't exist anymore".

These changes are part of the Detrot strategy to generate more funds through fixed costs and not water sales.
Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

In 2001, the total cost for water for Flint and Genesee County was $9 million, he said. Now, the total bill is about $23.5 million.

A few years ago I was told there were 50,000 homes in Flint. Anyways if you do some math and say Flint has 100,000 and they live in 50.000 homes

23.5 million /50000= $470 / 12 months of the year = $40 a month water bill.

That's ignoring businesses and the out county.
Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:44 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If they keep it up, it'll be cheaper to use bottled water for everything.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee County water rates likely to jump 10.9 percent following increase from Detroit

Published: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 2:26 PM Updated: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 4:10 PM

Follow

View full sizeFile photoGenesee County Drain Commissioner Jeff Wright
GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- Genesee County water customers could see their water bills increase 10.9 percent this year if Detroit approves its water department's new recommended rates.

That means the average Genesee County water user would see a $3 increase on their monthly bills, Genesee County Drain Commission Jeffrey Wright said.

A story in The Detroit News says Detroit officials will review the new rate structure on Thursday.

Wright said Detroit is raising the flat rate it charges other communities for water based on their distance and elevation from Detroit. Genesee County and Flint, being the furthest from the system, would see the highest increase, he said.

"They charge us the most, that's why they're driving us away," said Wright

Genesee County and Flint are part of the Karegnondi Water Authority, a regional group of cities and counties advocating for a new water pipeline built from Lake Huron that would allow them to break away from the Detroit system.

Detroit has raised its rates for years, Wright said.

In 2001, the total cost for water for Flint and Genesee County was $9 million, he said. Now, the total bill is about $23.5 million.

Wright said Genesee County will be passing the increase on to its customers. The county system serves 16 local municipalities, he said.

"We're only charging customers exactly what we pay for water," he said. "We operate solely on a nonprofit scenario."
Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Water and sewer delivery has costs associated with them. Someone has to read the meters and prepare the bills. The vehicles for water and sewer maintainance as well as the staff and the physical locations to operate the sytem cost mone.

For years the city allowed water bills to get high and then sent them to the county with the unpaid taxes to get reimbursed. If left unpaid in 3 years those costs come back. Add in the aging infrastructure, water leaks, water and sewer breaks, and outright water theft and you have exorbitant costs. The city could use CDBG funding to upgrade the water and sewer in some low income areas. It all depends on priorities. It seem priorities are now sidewalks and they may be new sidewalks for Smith Village.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee County sells water to smaller governmental units and some of these communities also raise the rates. Depends on what services these communities provide.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:21 am 
AAndy
F L I N T O I D

Higher water bills are likely on the way . For that matter, the water's infrastructure is incredibly pressing and they have to update it, which could be very costly. :3 If there is one source no one should neglect, but many do, it is water. There is no source more precious; not a soul can live without it. It's like God, we cannot live without it. Water bills in many locations are increasing as the nation's water infrastructure is in dire need of update, which all but assures that water bills will continue to get more costly.
Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:35 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Why can't we check for leaks? It might take a while but someone with a camera should be able to check it out.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:25 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

That is not how they check for leaks. They use sophisticated listening tools.

What about Detroit's leaks that we are paying for? The city has been relining the pipes in many places.
Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:42 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Seems like Obama could give detroit some grants or something to plug some leaks. I wonder if Detroit's water bills are as high as ours. So they listen for leaks? How effective is that?
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: