FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Who should use the Paramedic Millage-City or County?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint public safety director asks, but Genesee County not sharing paramedic millage

Published: Saturday, December 03, 2011, 9:00 AM

By Ron Fonger | Flint Journal
Follow

GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- The county is sticking with a decision to cut the city of Flint out of money generated by a special paramedic millage despite objections from city officials, including a last-minute appeal from Public Safety Director Alvern Locke.

Effective Thursday, the county Sheriff's Department took over responsibility for sending paramedics to medical emergencies in Flint and the county will keep an estimated $550,000 from the millage annually that otherwise would have gone to the city.

"I don't see how this can possibly be done any cheaper than we are" doing it, Locke told the county Board of Commissioners this week. "I don't see that it can be done. I just think there should be reconsideration of that."

Flint firefighters, who are also trained as emergency medical technicians or paramedics, have typically responded to calls for medical help in Flint since 1981.

But county officials said they've also shouldered some of that burden despite three decades of millage payments to the city and at times have questioned Flint's accounting for the funds.

Although commissioners have talked for years about shutting off the paramedic payments, they gave Flint officials a 30-day notice of the cutoff this year and authorized Sheriff Robert Pickell's hiring of five new paramedic deputies to handle the extra load.

Commissioners have laid off dozens of employees, cut wages and programs to balance this year's budget and have been looking for additional cuts and new revenues wherever they can find them.

" Nowhere in that (millage) language did it say we're going to let Flint keep a portion," board Chairman Jamie Curtis said.

In all, the 0.48-mill property tax generates $4.4 million annually.

Locke's appearance before the commissioners Tuesday came after Flint City Attorney Peter M. Bade told county officials that Flint leaders have "serious concerns about how this change will affect Flint residents."

Some commissioners representing Flint said they want to meet with Flint Emergency Financial Manager Michael Brown and Pickell to be sure the new system is working and providing service at the lowest cost.

Commissioner Brenda Clack, D-Flint, agreed with Locke's request to reconsider the decision not to send Flint a portion of the tax.

"What Chief Locke is asking for is a reconsideration," Clack said. "I'm for it."

"It's not that Flint is asking to be special," she said. "There is more need for EMS to come into a city as opposed to a rural area. That's just realistic."

Pickell said he accepted the new responsibility but did not ask for it. The sheriff said he's simply following the county board's directive.

The Flint Journal could not reach Mayor Dayne Walling or Brown for comment.

offdahook December 03, 2011 at 9:22AM

Why do we pay a tax to have law enforcement involved in the medical industry anyway? Look around at other counties in this state. How may have sheriff paramedics ? Does Oakland, Lapeer, Tuscola, Shiawassee, Saginaw, Bay, ect... ? No !!!. Let the private ambulance companies provide this service. They have paramedics on board that are on scene with the county paramedics. We don't need this duplication of services and a special tax to fund it. We need cops, not nurses with guns!!

hellzapoppin December 03, 2011 at 9:30AM

I agree, and if I'm in medical distress, I want help from a medical professional, not a cop with a medic kit. Two very different jobs, best to keep them seperate.

shanedr December 03, 2011 at 11:45AM

So a fireman with a "medical kit" is more qualified than a deputy sheriff with a "medical kit".

What is needed are ambulances with fully qualified EMT's stationed across the county, including coverage for all city's, towns and villages. I fail to see the value of having trained police or trained firemen responding to medical emergencies. We need fireman to fight fires, police to fight crime and the best EMT's to respond to medical emergencies.

What we have is a hodge podge of overtrained people whose bosses are trying to justify their little empire. Let's eliminate the cross training and use the paramedic millage for the training and equipping of personnel among the private ambulance companies. The quality of their service should determine how much of the millage pie they get, in fact the quality of service should determine even if they retain their license. And that quality of service should be determined by a board comprised of members of the county hospitals, not county government.

rusteze December 03, 2011 at 9:51AM

I agree too offdahook. It always seems they are 95% paramedic, and only 5% law enforcement. So why pay them as if they are law enforcement too. Not to mention they drive like idiots.

bluesky101 December 03, 2011 at 10:03AM

I would think you clowns would change your tune if you had a medical emergency and they just happen to save your life. But then again I could be wrong.

joilieder December 03, 2011 at 10:32AM

Mr. Fonger, Chief Alvern Lock's last name does NOT have an E at the end. Just L-O-C-K.

doinit4me December 03, 2011 at 10:55AM

Its nice to see Pickell following the county board's directives...for a change (sarcasm). Pickell calls the commissioners names and fights tooth and nail to get his way when it suits him. How any Flint resident could support him is beyond me.

rickeywriter December 03, 2011 at 11:01AM

bluesky 101,

we are CLOWNS but YOU could be WRONG. You sound like you are a real piece of work. As far as being a clown I would be willing to bet it's the other way around.

rjriley5000 December 03, 2011 at 11:17AM

I would also like to see a breakdown of how much of this tax was paid by Flint residents. I suspect that this is another example of people outside Flint picking up tab for their services.

Considering Flint's long history of mismanagement, it would be stupid to hand them more money.

tdimhcs December 03, 2011 at 12:22PM

You may have something there!

With the record Flint has for squandering money, this appears to be a no brainer.

So how many people in Flint pay taxes?

Local Change

Just another way to shell game money so that Sheriff Pickell can continue his non mandated services with little impact, inside promotions and pay increases at tax payer expense. The EMS Millage is going to end up in court once more. This millage was challenged in court by several ambulances companies and the county BOC had to settle before the truth got out about how mishandled the millage money really is. Why is the newly Promoted Captain of the Sheriff’s Paramedic Division, who makes over 100K a year, never been or is currently not licensed as an EMT or Paramedic? Talk about mismanagement, let’s lay off The City of FLint and Look at the County!

sclifer December 03, 2011 at 12:26PM

Lets seriously look at the facts. First county paramedics routinely already go into the city of flint to provide this paramedic service. Second the City of Flint has "1" medic unit on a day. 3 shifts, 1 person = $550,000 REALLY!!! Oh wait, the newly appointed Assistant Chief, named his girlfriend to the EMS Supervisors Position so now your up to 4 people = $550,000.
You people need to have all the facts. "Pickle's" (I dont like him anymore than you do) people already cover the city for nothing, now they will have 5 more people on the road doing what the city couldn't get done. Also there has been several times where a County Medic had to respond to a city call at night because it wasn't serious enough to send the City Medic unit to.
So is there mismanagement of fund....I seriously think there has been. My question is, has the city been getting the same amount now that they were getting when they ran a medic unit and 2 ambulances???

sclifer December 03, 2011 at 12:28PM

Also Clack is a racist, if it was a White Public Safety official asking for the money she wouldn't say a word.
w
Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:01 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Consultant Report Genesee County Emergency Medical Services ...Flint Fire's paramedic program included EMS units staffed with firefighters and cross-trained as paramedics. After the initiation of the millage, Flint Fire operated ...http://www.gchd.us/ReportsAndData/Reports/EmergencyMedicalServicesReport.pdf - - Cached - Similar pages

This report is dated as it was released in 2005

Key Points:

Genesee County EMS Services did not benchmark well against 50 common industry benchmark indicators. Only 10 of the 50 were achieved.

In 3 of every 10 calls for emergency services the 911 dispatcher had to call 2 to 4 ambulance companis before locating an available transport.

the County was responding on an increased level to the City.
The County received $4.1 million in 2005
The City was reduced to one ECHO unit and firefighter responder services in 2005 (note; this was under the EFM Kurtz and 911 was not calling the fire stations for paramedic services on a regular basis)
Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:09 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In 2005, the Genesee County paramedic Service was receiving $4,1 million. By keeping the Flint portion of the former paramedic agreement their funding is now restored to it's previous level in 2005.

Flint, under Emergency Financial manager ed Kurtz, lowereed the level of service under the paramedic millage and firefighters were no longer routinely called for EMS services. After an uproar in the community over unnecessary deaths from the lack of emergency services, firefighters were restored to emergency services. Racism or other factors had created a situation in which ambulance companies did not want to service certain neighborhoods, especially some in the north end of Flint. The Flint 911 supervisor told Council his staff sometimes had to call the County 911 in order to get aa ambulance transport. The Genesee County medical Control Authority also had to look at this issue which was substantiated within the report.

Flint has one ECHO unit which provides Advanced Life Support Services. Paramedica and not all ambulances are Advsnced Life Support Services and many are just Basic Life Support.

The Sheriff Dept. does not provide services to all communities in Genesee County. According to this 2005 report several townships did not use the Sheriff dept. and several contracted directly with private ambulance providers for the services of either Advanced or basic Life Support Units in their communities.
Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:38 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In 2005 , Pickell had 41 employd in the Paramedic program who also served as law enforcement. There was one Division captain, 7 EMS supervisors and 33 paramedica deputies.

Today in exchange for the City portion of the millage, Pickell is hiring (or rehiring) 5 paramedic deputies. That is only about one paramedic per shift, with 3 shifts per day for all of Flint. Don't forget vacations, days off and other types of leave.

To the individual that called Clack a racist. I have known her for a number of years and the label does not fit. Clack is a humane and caring individual and she is looking out for the welfare of her constituents in the City of Flint.
Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Genesee County Sheriff Department Paramedic Program began as an effort to a problem that was observed by community leaders in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. The average ambulance at that time was staffed by a driver and an attendant who had 16 hours of first aid training. These ambulances offered little more than a ride to the hospital. What was worse, some areas of Genesee County had no ambulance service at all, and services from other areas had to respond, causing very long response times. Possible solutions were discussed among area hospital executives, doctors, and public officials.

One of the first improvements in the system was the creation of several new ambulance services that utilized volunteers. Response times were reduced, but the medical care that was available in the pre-hospital setting was still minimal. It was in 1978 that the Genesee County Sheriff Department, the Flint Fire Department and the Greater Flint Area Hospital Assembly worked together to begin the first paramedic program in Genesee County.

The Flint Fire Department had funded basic ambulance service for some time. In 1978 they began training several Firefighters as paramedics. The Genesee County Sheriff Department was the recipient of a federal grant that was funded through the Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning to begin a special unit of Highway Safety Paramedics.

The first group of Highway Safety Paramedics graduated from the Mott College Paramedic Program in 1979. They were fully certified police deputies who drove non-transporting advanced life support units.

Initially, there was 1 lieutenant, 1 sergeant, and 14 deputies. During their first full year of operation, they answered about 100 medical calls per month that required advanced life support. For the first time in Genesee County, there were paramedics in the field who could give i.v. medications and fluid replacement.

There was a constant struggle for funding, until a millage was passed, initially 0.35 mill, to support emergency medical services in 1980. The millage was passed at 0.5 mills in 1985, and reduced to 0.4925 under the Headly Amendment. The millage was renewed in 2006 for ten years.

Currently the Sheriff Paramedic Section employs one secretary, 41 Deputies, including ( 6 ) sergeants, ( 1 ) lieutenant and (1) captain . The call load is steadily increasing each year, to about 15, 000 medical calls and 4000 police calls each year. It is expected that this trend will continue.

Information provided by Capt. Michael Becker
Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

From the comments: County leaving city of Flint out of special parademic millage has readers talking

Published: Sunday, December 04, 2011, 1:00 PM Updated: Sunday, December 04, 2011, 1:34 PM

By Roberto Acosta | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — The city of Flint has been left out of a special paramedic millage despite calls from officials, including the city's public safety director Alvern Lock.

The 0.48-mill property tax draws in around $4.4 million a year, and despite Lock's please to the Genesee County Board of Commissioners the city will remain on the outside looking in for the money.

offdahook didn't question the reasoning by the board, but why money is paid for law enforcement in the medical industry:

Why do we pay a tax to have law enforcement involved in the medical industry anyway? Look around at other counties in this state. How may have sheriff paramedics ? Does Oakland, Lapeer, Tuscola, Shiawassee, Saginaw, Bay, ect... ? No !!!. Let the private ambulance companies provide this service. They have paramedics on board that are on scene with the county paramedics. We don't need this duplication of services and a special tax to fund it. We need cops, not nurses with guns!!

hellzapoppin agreed with offdahook's assessment:

I agree, and if I'm in medical distress, I want help from a medical professional, not a cop with a medic kit. Two very different jobs, best to keep them seperate.

shanedr said a different idea should be used for paramedics, not coming from the county:

So a fireman with a "medical kit" is more qualified than a deputy sheriff with a "medical kit".

What is needed are ambulances with fully qualified EMT's stationed across the county, including coverage for all city's, towns and villages. I fail to see the value of having trained police or trained firemen responding to medical emergencies. We need fireman to fight fires, police to fight crime and the best EMT's to respond to medical emergencies.

What we have is a hodge podge of overtrained people whose bosses are trying to justify their little empire. Let's eliminate the cross training and use the paramedic millage for the training and equipping of personnel among the private ambulance companies. The quality of their service should determine how much of the millage pie they get, in fact the quality of service should determine even if they retain their license. And that quality of service should be determined by a board comprised of members of the county hospitals, not county government.

Flinstonian December 04, 2011 at 2:32PM

I, as a City of Flint property tax payer, pay into this millage & it can't be used for the City of Flint ?????????????????? Then why the hell am I being charged for it? I pay a tax that can only be used in the county? The City of Flint IS in the county. Stop charging me for this "service" if I can't use it. This tax is worse than the "hidden" charges that my cell phone company charges ... and I opted in those.

joilieder December 04, 2011 at 3:01PM

I would like to know if all EMTs are as medically trained as the Sheriff's Deputies (and fire fighters) that go out on medical calls? I'm asking this because when I called 911 a year or so ago for a supposed heart attack (I wasn't), the EMTs arrived first but almost immediately afterwards a deputy arrived. She wanted to know if she was needed and the EMTs explained and she left. I asked the EMTs why she even came and they told me they weren't as trained as she was. Is this true? Flint Journal can you research this? If the EMTs aren't as trained, I still want the deputies and fire fighters going on calls AND being paid by the millage I pay for as a Flint resident.

nolibspin December 04, 2011 at 3:41PM

To answer your question, the answer is NO. The sheriff's department guys are "Paramedics" and have many more higher and advanced medical skills than a "Emergency Medical Tech". Paramedics have the skills to cut a breathing trach, EMTs do not among other things. The citizensof the City of Clint will have paramedic coverage but will not have control of the funding because the stealing lying Democratic Party thieves of the City of Flint can't be trusted to manage money.

luvmoney December 04, 2011 at 9:55PM

Yo Flintonian or Flintoid as we call ya'all in the burbs . The medical millage would not exist if it weren't for the burbs. The fools in the burbs keep voting these millages then the Flintoids have the gall to complain. This Co. Sucks and so does the Co. seat. The burbs need to stop voting this crap in
Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:46 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: