FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Eason and Poplar gone!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Politicians love the phrase "A new broom sweeps clean". While Brown is not a politician, City hall insiders are telling us that Poplar and eason are gone from City Government.

A good start!

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

WOW-the list of names is growing and if correct, Brown is challenging the charter.

I hear Montle may make a soft landing in Lansing.
Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:59 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Politicians love the phrase "A new broom sweeps clean". While Brown is not a politician, City hall insiders are telling us that Poplar and eason are gone from City Government.

A good start!

I respect Mike Brown, but to call him not a politician is wrong. In your next post you said he is challenging the charter. What do you mean by that?

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Shakeup at Flint City Hall as new emergency manager issues layoffs, pay cuts

Published: Friday, December 02, 2011, 4:59 PM Updated: Friday, December 02, 2011, 5:25 PM

By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — In his first orders as emergency manager, Michael Brown fired seven City Hall staffers — including the mayor's No. 2 — and eliminated pay and benefits for the mayor and city council, council members said today.

Four high-ranking mayoral appointees were among those let go: City Administrator Gregory Eason, Human Resources Director Donna Poplar, Citizen Services Director Rhoda Woods and Green City Coordinator Steve Montle, officials said.

Council members Scott Kincaid and Joshua Freeman said council received a copy of the order this evening.

Also fired were Eason's assistant, Ombudswoman Brenda Purifoy and Ed Parker of the Flint Civil Service Commission.

Brown also eliminated pay and benefits for the mayor and city council members.
Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

A good start!

I respect Mike Brown, but to call him not a politician is wrong. In your next post you said he is challenging the charter. What do you mean by that?

Terry- to me someone who does not run for office and is not elected is not a politician. He does not have to worry about public opinion as he is not running for office and he is more powerful thn a politician.

The Ombudsman and the Civil Service are charter mandated positions.
Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:41 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling must be delusional!

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling says 'it was an honor' working with appointees terminated by new emergency manager

Published: Friday, December 02, 2011, 5:29 PM Updated: Friday, December 02, 2011, 5:37 PM

FLINT, Michigan — Flint Mayor Dayne Walling issued the following statement today after Emergency Manager Michael Brown terminated four of Walling's appointees.

From Walling:

"Gregory Eason's strong record of government reforms and community accomplishments will continue to benefit our community for many years to come.

Steve Montle was the driving force behind a number of innovative initiatives to cut costs, create jobs, and cleanup the local environment.

Rhoda Woods' tireless commitment to the concerns and safety of Flint's citizens made a difference in thousands of families' lives.

Donna Poplar brought a superior level of skill and understanding to one of the hardest jobs at City Hall.

It was an honor for them to choose to serve with me through very difficult times and, on behalf of the Flint community, I thank them for their service."

Brown terminated seven positions in his first order issued since taking office Thursday.

Also let go were Eason's assistant, Kathleen Sheetz; Ombudswoman Brenda Purifoy; and Civil Service Director Edward Parker.
Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:53 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint emergency manager Michael Brown said cuts 'needed to start at the top'

Published: Friday, December 02, 2011, 6:54 PM Updated: Friday, December 02, 2011, 7:17 PM

FLINT, Michigan — After issuing his first written directives as emergency manager, Michael Brown said cuts at City Hall needed to start at the top.

Brown made the comments just hours after terminating seven city staff positions and eliminating pay and benefits for the mayor and all nine city council members.

"We've got such a deep hole in the budget and finances, I needed to start at the top if you will," Brown said. "There were some positions in management, and I think part of that is just sending the right message out there that everybody’s got to sacrifice here."

Brown said the city "can't have the same staffing level" that it has now, and warned that more cuts are coming.

"None of this is easy but there's a start here," he said. "There's more to come. It has to come and I'm going to go back and do that."

Brown said all of his written orders will be put up on the city's website so the public can view them.