FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Is Adam right about losing more police?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Adam Ford wanted to fight the Emergency manager law and worried Flint would lose more police. Now word is circulating through the community that Flint will indeed lose sixteen (16) more officers. These would be officers not covered by grants.

The Flint Journal put in one of their "fluff' pieces about Brown and kemcha responded:

"kemcha December 11, 2011 at 9:30AM

This write-up is a complete BS. Brown is suggesting the termination of 16 police officers. We only have 16 police officers left. Hell, why don't we just terminate the police department, fire department, city hall and the Michigan State Police."

Word from the streets is that Walling never started to accept the federal grant for more police despite his statements that he was going to.

Flint has recalled a number of laid off police, but that was replacements for retiring officers. Several police academy classes are at or near retirement age. Flint offered a three year deal if officers paid $60, 000 to buy their time for those who wanted to retire but were short. Some took the deal.

Pending pay cuts and increased costs for healthcare probably helped seal the deal. The next issue is when is Brown going to address the legacy costs- the sweetheart retirement deals of the past that have driven down the solvency of the city and the pension fund. maybe these retirements won't be so sweet. Of course the officers are young enough to get other jobs and even start the business of their dreams.

Flint already has a law suit by a group of widows cut off from their health care benefits. Their argument is that a 1970's ordinance promised them lifetime care. That happened under Walling, but Brown can cancel the contractual obligation under the current law. Or can he?

What future pitfalls are awaiting other Flint retirees?

Snyder claimed he had a plan for future police action in Flint but he has yet to identify the plan. Pontiac lost their police and contracted with the Sheriff Department. Here the sheriff is no cheaper than our Flint cops.

The state legislature is already preparing a temporary emergency manager law as the momentum for placing the current law to a vote of the people seems to be coming to fruition. If overturned, they want a replacement in the wings. That should indicate even Snyder knows how Draconian this law is.

What is you prediction for the future under Brown?
Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:59 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

When it comes to safety, we'll be on our own.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I figured we would lose our whole police department and consolidate and use the county sheriff.

I wonder if Brown will at least consolidate 911?

I also wonder how bad our budget situation is. Bankruptcy? How bad are our our "legacy costs"?

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:58 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

I truly hope we consolidate with the county. Since it happened in Pontiac, response times have plummeted, arrests skyrocketed, and citizens have been overwhelmingly happy with the change. There is no need for the ridiculous duplication of police services in this county. Cut the duplication and cut costs to get better services for our residents who really deserve it.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:38 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The problem with a metro or regional form of government in Genesee County is the scorn the County Board of Commissioners display towards Flint. Even one commissioner who represents a large portion of Flint has derogatory comments towards our populace.

Look at the senior millage distribution disgrace, the paramedic millage and the delinquent taxes to help with blight county wide and especially Flint. The County Commissioners are also facing long term deficits and can't get their act together, so how can someone from that mix govern all of Genesee County?

Genesee County has its own version of corruption.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Tia Ewing of channel 5 did a story on the police layoffs. The Chief said he was filling vacancies as they occurred. Only no one said how many retired, how many were early retirements and buy outs, and how many were Sgts or higher. Is testing underway to replace supervisors and detectives. How does this equate to more officers on the streets?

Also what is going on with the grant for six officers and have these positions been filled.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:46 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

FJ poll Should a community "Flint" disband their police and use the county to save money.

Flint Times December 16, 2011 at 8:08PM

"absolutely..NOT! My tax dollars pay for city services for my city. I don't live in the county. As I stated before Synder paid a visit to Flint as to the first step in taking out Flint police department. When the EFM took over Pontiac they did the same thing they disbanded the police department and few were hire by the county don't know where the others went and State police now patrol Pontiac. This is the secret plan that has not been anounced yet, keep your ears open "

I think Flint Times may be right.

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:28 pm 
patclawson
F L I N T O I D

Adam, let's hope that Governor Snyder does disband the Flint Police. That's not a slap at the brave men and women of the FPD. It's just that times have changed and we need a single countywide police force. It's the most efficient and cost-effective way to fight crime in this area. The present Balkanized structure of local law enforcement does the public little good, but it sure benefits turf-conscious bureaucrats and criminals.

Pat Clawson
Swartz Creek, MI
patrickclawson@comcast.net
Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:15 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think a countywide police force does make sense for the county. Long term if they are eliminated I would like to see a Flint pd brought back though.

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:18 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Are there any areas outside Michigan that have county or area wide police departments? I've seen Las Vegas police cars on TV lettered Las Vegas Metropolitan Police. Could they have a county wide PD?

IF Flint was to merge their PD with the county, I'd rather see ALL PD's in the county combined into one.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
patclawson
F L I N T O I D

County Police are very common in Virginia, where I lived for over 20 years.
Wikipedia has a good list of county-wide police departments across the nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_police

It really is the way for Genesee County to go. The citizens would be a lot better off for it.

Pat Clawson
Swartz Creek, MI
patrickclawson@comcast.net
Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:28 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: