FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint District Court to lose one Judge

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This would have been achieved earlier had not Granholm filled a vacant position instead of eliminating it. Who initiated the bill?

Proposed bill would eliminate Flint judge

Published: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 4:48 PM Updated: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 4:48 PM

By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

View full sizeRyan Garza | The Flint JournalOne of the newly restored district court rooms in the McCree Courts & Human Services Building in downtown Flint.
FLINT, Michigan — A series of bills introduced this week in the state House would trim the number of judges in courts throughout Michigan, including one judgeship in the city of Flint.

House Bill 5073 would reduce the number of Flint District Court judges from five to four as soon as one of the current judges retires or decides not to run for re-election.

Other cities facing judicial reductions include Lansing, Ecorse and Kalamazoo.

The bills were introduced following a report from the State Court Administrative Office that recommended the reductions due to local budget cuts across the state and declines in population and/or caseloads.

The report said Flint District Court should lose one judgeship through attrition, while Genesee County District Court should gain three judges. Genesee County District Court officials have said the county is not in a position to add any judges at this time due to budget concerns.
Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:25 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

ABOUT DAMN TIME!!! I've been telling the Flint Journal TV 12 TV5 TV25 this for 4 years. Talked to all the representatives.. I'm going to have to check the county numbers and see if they used the same formula they did for the Flint courts. Caseload etc. But I would venture to guess that if the ciruit court opened the positions then Gov. Snyder would APPT REPUBLICATION CRONIES to those positions. And if they used the 2005 caseload and recommendations and applied that reccommendation to 2011 You'd find that District could stand to lose 2 judges and not just one. Then the chief judge would be able to hire when needed a cronie magisrated because it was neccessary from time to time. Not just because he wanted to give them a job.
Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

House Bill 5073 sponsored by Kevin Cotter:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2011-HB-5073

But see:

Judicial Resources Recommendations
http://www.house.mi.gov/hfa/PDFs/JRR%20Memo.pdf
Excerpt from:

Memorandum from House Fiscal Committee
DATE: September 15, 2011
TO: Judiciary Subcommittee
RE: Judicial Resources Recommendations

Summary

In the August 2011 Judicial Resources Recommendations (JRR), the State Court Administrative Office (SCAO) selected trial court judgeships for removal based on an analysis of weighted case filings in each district court, and identified districts with more judgeships than needed for their case loads. Additionally, the SCAO analyzed the change in case loads in the Court of Appeals, and identified multiple judgeships that could be removed. Based on this analysis, the SCAO recommended the following changes:

• Eliminate 45 trial court judgeships by attrition.
• Eliminate 4 Court of Appeals judgeships by attrition, including 2 judgeships that are currently vacant.
• Consolidate the 25th with 26th District, as well as District 45A with 45B.

Judgeships eliminated by attrition would be removed when the current judge chooses to step down or chooses not to run for re-election. The Court of Appeals judgeships that are currently vacant would be removed immediately.

The SCAO's analysis also identified a need for 31 additional judgeships in districts where the current workload per judge is too high. However, the SCAO recommended that these judgeships not be added due to current budget restraints. The SCAO stated that they will revisit these recommendations in 2013 and evaluate if adding these judgeships would be feasible at that time.
(End excerpt)
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:25 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: