FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: CITY OF FLINT GRAPEVINE- FBI IN DCED!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
PatClarkPGH
F L I N T O I D

...I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. Grew up in a small Michigan town called Morenci, got my first taste of Flint when I went to see Jimmy Carter speak the night before his election. Over the years I've gotten to know some folks from Flint, including my best buddy here in PGH, and some folks still living there in Flint who are doing their best to make the city a better place. I'm no expert on your town, but at least I can say I've had a Torch Burger or two.

My experience in Pittsburgh and a lot of the surrounding towns has taught me quite a bit about the places that struggle with the realities left behind when industry and residents flee for greener pastures. In terms of elected officials, I see a lot of them in these towns who seem content to spend all their time fighting over political turf and re-election, while the places they supposedly represent swirl down the tube. I'm guessing you've seen some of that up around Flint, too.

From my humble perspective, however, Dayne Walling sure as hell isn't that kind of man. I don't know pay close attention to what he's done as mayor, but I can tell you that my opinion is based first hand through experience on the work he's done to ensure that democracy works for all Americans. He's the kind of guy whose motivation is to the core going to be about making his city a better place.

I decided to sign up and post to this account after somebody - "Flint Political News" - thought it was appropriate to spam me yesterday with some innuendo-filled screed that was as rude as it was poorly written. I had never signed up for their little list-serve, but seeing as they were so rude as to presume to share their unsolicited thoughts with me, and listed this blog at the bottom of their little e-mail, I figured this was as good a place as any to give them my own two cents' worth.

I've had the supreme pleasure of working closely with Mayor Dayne Walling on non-partisan voting initiatives since 2004. His work with the November 2 project ensured that folks all over the Midwest were better informed and motivated to exercise their right to vote in the critical 2004 Presidential Election. His work down in Detroit on behalf of State Voices helped people like me, out here in states like Pennsylvania, ensure that people in our own communities could exercise their critical right to vote, and protect their neighbors' right to do the same. In my experience, Dayne was stand-up, worked hard, delivered on what he said he would, and always went out of his way in his efforts towards the greater good.

If Mr. Flint Political News had the opportunity to work first-hand with Dayne as I have, he might be a bit more enlightened as to your Mayor's character, and hopefully not so quick as to call it into question. He might also understand why Dayne's good work would motivate some guy from Pittsburgh to step up to his friend's defense when their integrity questioned. Because I have absolutely no question that if there was a battle to be undertaken, I'd want Dayne with me in the foxhole. He's got the sort of character that a city should be proud to have in its mayor. Because he's the kind of guy who's going to work first for his city and put his efforts into making Flint a better place, not pissing about in the usual political turf wars.

Of course, this is just some guy's posting on a blog, letters on a computer. Let me say this, though - if somebody needs a clearer statement on the good work that I've seen Dayne do, I'd be glad to hop in the F150 and make the 7 hour drive up to deliver the message in person. That goes especially for Mr. Flint Political News. But just one thing, Mr. News; do me the favor you didn't offer me before sending me your poorly spell crapline - just ask first.
Post Fri May 27, 2011 2:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I doubt if anyone on this site is the Flint political News- I know I have never heard of them! Dayne claimed someone previously involved in his earlier campaigns has his e-mail addresses from that election.

But since the Department of Energy grant occurred on his watch and he put in place those monitoring it, Therefore if it is thesubject of the investigation, the buck stops with him.

Flint has been awarded at least $1.1 million in federal energy grants since 2009
Published: Friday, May 27, 2011, 8:30 AM Updated: Friday, May 27, 2011, 8:45 AM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal The Flint Journal
View full sizeFlint Journal file photoFLINT, Michigan — The city has been awarded at least $1.1 million in stimulus grant funds from the Department of Energy since August 2009.

Auditors from the Department of Energy's Office of Inspector General are currently reviewing the city's federal grant funds.

The auditors were accompanied by the FBI to Flint City Hall on Wednesday, when they removed volumes of archived documents and electronic information.

The city was allocated a $1,147,900 Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant in the summer of 2009.

A portion of the grant was later awarded to Advanced Solutions Group, a consulting firm run by Kate Fields, former executive director of the Greater Eastside Community Association.

Fields was paid $250,000 to prepare an energy efficiency and conservation strategy, which was submitted to the Department of Energy in December 2009 and resulted in the city being awarded the balance of the $1.1 million grant in March 2010.

Fields declined to comment Thursday on whether she was questioned by investigators, but said she’s confident in the work she did for the city.

“I fully document all of my work and I have no concerns about the work my agency has done,” she said.

The grant also funds a portion of the salaries of some employees in the city’s Department of Community and Economic Development.

As part of the audit, the city was asked to provide federal authorities with information and documents.

City officials within 24 hours turned over all the requested information, including a large volume of archived paper and electronic information, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said.
Post Fri May 27, 2011 3:14 pm 
PatClarkPGH
F L I N T O I D

...but I'm curious. The Flint Journal is the local paper of record, and I didn't find a definite story on this issue. Could you perhaps list a link that might be helpful.

I did note an article on a recall effort, but it was from Sep 17, 2010. I presumed that matter was decided, however. Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Post Fri May 27, 2011 4:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sometimes it took the Journal a long time to print stories on things that happened in council. I am not sure why, but I suspected the reporter did not recognize the issues and the players. Reporters are switched and it sometimes takes time to come up to speed on the hidden agendas.

I am not sure if the Journal wrote any stories on the issue of the energy grant in the early days. You would have been able to find the original resolutions on the City of Flint - city council website, but for what ever reason they are no longer available.
A number of us either attended these meetings or obtained the documents prior to their being removed from the website.

Williamson resigned in February 2009 and the issue first came to the council agenda during the Brown administration. It was held up and changed during the Walling administration.

The Neighborhood Stabilization grants were also initiated during the Walling administration.
Post Fri May 27, 2011 5:11 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

pat- Go to the City of Flint website and then city counccil and then agendas. They have removed the council meetings (of course how better to hide stuff when they have add on resolutions).
Pull up the minutes for the July 13 and July 22, 2009 finance Committee meetings.

July 13- Page 3- resolution # 090709
A one year contract for Clean Energy Coalition (CEC) and Resource Recycling Systems (RRS) for the Dept of Energy Grant not to exceed $227,229.00 that was given through the ARRA.
Just states discussed and then indicates entire council wants both bidders including Advanced Solutions to make presentations on July 22, 2009 under a special order.
Motion made by Ananich and seconded by Gonzales. Absent were Sims and Hill.

Ananich absent on the day presentations made. Sims makes motion to postpone, seconded by Poplar.

Note: Both Sims and Poplar had made references to helping kate with federal money. Nancy Jurkiewicz and others were blown away (shades of Granholm) when Sims demanded that the DCED find money for poor kate fields. This was following a land bank meeting where Kate pled her case for leniency on her seriously delinquent land contract with the Land Bank.. I have a recording of the meeting and kate was given a revised contract. She blamed the city for not giving her any more federal money although she had ceased requesting money and had not filed her IRS 990 as required .

On August 19th the resolution for Clean Energy was dropped. Motion made by Gonzales, seconded by Loyd with Nelson and Hill absent. Walling was mayor then and both he and Eason were shown as present.

The Federal Government strives to prevent collusion, contract rigging, croneyism and other forms of contract fraud requires grant recipients to have a written procurement procedure. The initial resolution was after that process had occurred and Fields did not win the grant. When she initially applied Greg Eason' s resume was in the packet as her future CEO. Obviously he could not be after he became City Administrator.

Ananich has a long history with kate. His father, former Ombudsman Jim Ananich and now deceased, was involved with kate in a number of social concerns after Ananich mother died. Both Councilman Ananich and the woman he has referred to as his mother served lengthy terms on the GECA board. When James Campbell died jim Ananich took over as President of the Board. This was a position he held until he was elected 7th ward president, when Josh freeman took over.

During his tenure as President of GECA, Ananich signed a $100,000 loan (Register of deeds) for the former bank property on Franklin near Davison Road. He also signed the papers to geant a tax waiver on this property stating it was used for storage. GECA could not continue paying the taxes and had over $3,000 in tax arrearages.

Without the minutes of council meetings you will have a hard time following the trail. I have them and will go to my files for the dates.
Post Sat May 28, 2011 7:49 am 
Nick Singelis
F L I N T O I D

PAT CLARK, be careful, you might show up in Flint and get shot at and robbed like the folks from New York.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:14 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

That doesn't show much loyalty to the city where you were an employee of the Chamber of Commerce.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Nick Singelis
F L I N T O I D

The point was, Pat is clueless and I'd hate for him to drive 7 hrs to get shot at by thugs.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:48 am 
PatClarkPGH
F L I N T O I D

"Pat is clueless and I'd hate for him to drive 7 hrs to get shot at by thugs."

Say what you will about whether or not I might have a clue, but when the first thing you have to say to somebody about your town is something about getting shot, that tells me a lot about you. It may not be a threat, but it sure doesn't say much for the City or you as a representative of its citizenry.

I greatly prefer working with folks who maintain a sense of pride about the place where they live - and I'm presuming that you actually live in Flint, not just nearby in Genesee County - no matter the challenges faced by the city they call home.

None the less, I've said my piece, I'd be glad to discuss more about my experiences with your Mayor, won't presume to speak to the issues of your city, about which I may well be clueless.

Keep it on the positive. Because that's the only way communities are actually able to rebuild amongst all the bitching from the sidelines.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 11:56 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Nick- I sincerely doubt that Pat Clark is clueless. You obviously did not read his earlier post.

Pat Clark-I hope your work with our mayorwill be in the area of community development, because we certainly need it. However, I suspect you are coming in for the election process.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun May 29, 2011 6:45 pm 
PatClarkPGH
F L I N T O I D

I've actually never done election work in Flint, but I did show up last year for a press event with your local Congressman and Candidate Walling last year, it was a pleasure being in the house. Had breakfast at a great joint around the corner from Dayne's campaign office, really dug it.

In terms of community development work, it'd be a pleasure to be able to work in the communities of Flint/Genesee County. But the first rule of working in communities is that you never come in unless invited, otherwise you're as likely to get a boot in the ass as you are a handshake when you come in.

Happy Memorial Day - or Decoration Day, as we called it down in the hometown - to everybody, even if they happen to hate my politix. We all owe courtesy at least to the folks who fought & were willing to die for our right to vote and live in this free country.
Post Mon May 30, 2011 1:08 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I can't believe it, but the grapevine in City Hall is eerily quiet. But, having said that, some juicy tidbits are escaping.

Grand Jury may be starting July 2nd.
Documents taken involve contracts from companies like Advanced Solutions (Kate Fields) CIG and others.
Procurement documents such as Requests for Bids or Requests for Proposals, evaluations, bid specs, etc.
Greg Eason's computer and possibly 3 others. Word is Greg called the Police chief and tried to stop the feds from taking his computer.
Time sheets and employment contracts.
Did Donna Poplar use her position and right to assign discretionary pay levels to give inexperienced people higher pay than experienced staff.

By the way the Civil service Hearing for the staff in DCED may be June 16th. I say may because it has been postponed and held up by the city for so long.
Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:31 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Time to stock up on popcorn.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

some targets of the investigation are obvious, but I wonder if some are Flint City council.
Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:55 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Go to Coty's for dinner, or buy even more popcorn? Decisions, decisions. Think I'll go to Coty's & speculate on who might get caught up in all of this. One of the council members is there fairly often; maybe he'll show up.

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:31 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: