FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Officer Mark Williams Speaks @ Flint City Council Meeting

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

This was definately one of the best if not the best speech I have ever heard at a council meeting. I think officer Williams deserves a major promotion.
Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:13 pm 
Joe

1831?? WTF? why is everything a black person talks about is race? why?Thisi s what is truley wrong with this city.....
Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:42 pm 
Joe

I just had to post again... This guy is using the race card. The police officers ( or some of them) don't care about Flint. I am friends with a couple of them. They are scared in the north end. If people want more police, the taxes are going to have to be raised even more to make it work. So more taxes ='s more police. Its that simple.
Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:46 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I don't mind pointing out facts. We have to remember, this stuff did happen in the past. And those who don't study it are doomed to repeat it. Flint seems doomed to remember yet still repeat it. It should be common sense that since Flint is a Majority black that everything here, ever aspect of government and city employment should be in a cycle to become more black people working in and part of employment and offices. Yet, for some silly reason. It's Not! We shouldn't need laws that say to hire minorities. In Flint this should only be the natural cycle of the way it should be.

The police department and City government should be a direct reflection of the Community it serves. If it's not. There is a problem.

Now, is the problem racism? From the evidence presented to date. It appears there just may be a case for it. I would argue, that within this natural cycle of population/color changes in the citizenry, Flint authorities should be becoming more black. Sort of non climactic in it's implementation. (example) The current city council has a majority or Black Council people. It seemed to be big news for the Journal. To me. It just makes sense. Why should it surprise the Journal or anyone else that in a city that is approx. 60 percent black. That the City council would be 60 percent black. Kind of a DUH! thing to me. What eludes me... is how the police department isn't become more and more black. When ti seems obvious to me, that it should be. (side note) Obviously affirmative action as it stands now isn't working.

I would argue, (from listening to flint school teachers) that the Majority of students in Flint graduating are looking to leave the area. There was an article in the Flint Journal about a year or so ago. That read something like 'where are our young people going' There were about 3 articles in that paper that talked about students graduating and leaving Flint to go to Atlanta or South Carolina. I believe those best qualified to help flint (black and white) are leaving the area for better jobs, more opportunities.

Looking at the complaints about few black officers from the city being hired on in the police department. I would wonder, how many of any of the officers recently hired are born, or raised, or even life in Flint (black or white).
Just a little something to ponder.
Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Joe. So you're saying that black officers who have been discriminated against because they're black should not talk about race?
Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:01 am 
rapunzel

My computer won't open the speech.

I do know quite a few black officers recently retired.
To be promoted black or white they have to first be qualified.

peace,
rap
Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:54 pm 
visitor810

As a Flint Officer with several years of service, some blacks officers are treated unfairly as well as some white officers. It's a known fact that Mark Williams was treated unfairly for not sharing the same views as the administration. This Joe guy couldn't take one step in Mark's shoes. If you think racism isn't alive and well at the police department you are nuts!
Post Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:29 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: