FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: should Flint Police have tasers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

They have been lobbying for over two years with no success. With all of flint's problems, Tasers should probably be another crime fighting tool for our officers. Beats deadly force.
Post Sun May 01, 2011 3:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When the police shot and killed Joanne Burgett in Shady Acres Trailer Park for lunging at them with a knife it was ruled a justifiable homicide. However, Flint paid a hefty court settlement to her family. tasers could have prevented her death.
Post Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If they would have had nightsticks or large flashlights, shooting her would have been unnecessary, too.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun May 01, 2011 5:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If they would have had nightsticks or large flashlights, shooting her would have been unnecessary, too.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun May 01, 2011 5:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Dave, My grandson went with me to the press conference by Keith Speers and the Flint officers. The photos of a veteran officer highly trained in martial arts who thought he could take on a perp with a small knife were revealing. The guy was cut front and back with long strokes that looked like the perp tried to filet him.

The rookie cops at the scene were no match for Burgett. Tasers could have saved her life and Flint a lot of money.
Post Mon May 02, 2011 7:35 am 
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

I think tasers could have prevented the use of deadly force in this case too.I think the most important thing when dealing with a subj wielding a knife, is keeping them at a safe distance. I'm not sure what the range is on a taser, but I think the police using batons in this case would have allowed her to get too close to Officers putting them at much higher risk of being slashed.

Post Fri May 06, 2011 11:05 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The ATF folks that raided the house down the street today all had them. They must think they're worthwhile. I would think a graduated response would be preferable to just shooting them.

Post Fri May 06, 2011 11:58 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Woman subdued with Taser gun in Clayton Township after incident with police
Published: Friday, May 06, 2011, 1:50 PM Updated: Friday, May 06, 2011, 1:51 PM
By David Harris | Flint Journal The Flint Journal
CLAYTON TOWNSHIP, Michigan — A 37-year-old woman was stunned with a Taser gun Thursday after she was attempting to hurt herself and was attacking police, according to police.

Police were called to a home on Elms Road, near Corunna Road for an unknown call. When they arrived, the woman was found sitting in the passenger seat in a vehicle in the driveway. The woman was highly intoxicated, police said.

The woman had to get out of the vehicle when the owner of the vehicle came and wanted his vehicle back. The woman began fighting with the police officer, before going inside.

She quickly came back out with a knife, threatening to slit her wrists, according to police.

She then ran back into the home and locked the door. Police had to knock down the door and found her in the closet of a basement, police said.

She was holding her knife to her throat.

She refused to comply with the officers and a Taser was used, police said.

She was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. She blew a .285, according to police.

Police are seeking at least a resisting arrest charge.
Post Fri May 06, 2011 2:29 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

NO, The police in this country use tazers for a torture device.
Post Fri May 06, 2011 3:52 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Yes, I think tasers would reduce the use of potentially deadly force and would be a good thing to have. However, officers armed with a taser should undergo rigorous training with them and understand that they are not just to be used whenever a situation is "a little difficult."

I think most officers would be able to discern the correct circumstances where the use of a taser is the best option, but I've read and heard about circumstances where the use of a taser was not warranted at all. Sure, if a drunk driver is being a little punchy and refusing to comply with orders, its a little annoying, but I don't believe that would call for tasing them. Nor would an unruly 10 year old girl. Tasers should only be used when a person threatens to harm themselves or others

Post Fri May 06, 2011 6:19 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Taser study explores effects on people, why some people die
By: JO MORELAND - Staff Writer North County Times - The Californian | Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2007 12:00 am

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/article_99e0d52d-344d-5e96-8b16-6d222a8fce2a.html

"As of March 7, Amnesty International lists 220 people who have died since June of 2001 in the United States after Tasers were used on them, said Mona Cadena, San Francisco deputy director for the western region of that organization."
Post Fri May 06, 2011 11:19 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
When the police shot and killed Joanne Burgett in Shady Acres Trailer Park for lunging at them with a knife it was ruled a justifiable homicide. However, Flint paid a hefty court settlement to her family. tasers could have prevented her death.

WOW, I had never read that. When did the City pay out for that?
Post Sat May 07, 2011 6:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

City of Flint could pay out $200,000 settlement to family of woman fatally shot by police
Published: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 9:11 AM Updated: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 9:27 AM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal The Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — The city could pay a $200,000 settlement to the family of a woman who was shot and killed by Flint police in 2007 as she wielded a knife outside her mobile home.

The two officers were cleared in the shooting of 46-year-old Jo Ann Burgett, but her daughter sued the city and the officers, claiming the police were negligent and used excessive force.

At the time, the incident drew widespread attention from a divided crowd — those who said the police were justified and those who were outraged by the fatal shooting.

“We felt the officers acted inappropriately,” said attorney Joseph Ceglarek, who represented Burgett’s daughter, Crystal Burgett. “There were multiple other ways they could have handled the situation.”

Last month, a judge refused to dismiss the lawsuit and both sides agreed to settle, according to court records.

The Flint City Council moved the settlement payment forward at its Wednesday meeting. A final decision won't be made until the council meeting Monday.

According to court records, half of the $200,000 would go to the attorneys and the other half would be split between Burgett’s son and daughter.

“In light of (my clients’) economic situation, this was an offer by the city that they could not turn down,” Ceglarek said. “Do I think the amount of the resolution was justice served? No, I don’t.”

Farmington Hills attorney Daniel Klemptner, who represented the city, said taking police death cases to trial is expensive, and it made more sense financially to settle.

Keith Speer, president of the police officers union, said the settlement is in no way an indication of liability and that the officers did “exactly what they were supposed to do.”

“If anything, they probably let her get too close,” he said. “I don’t know if this is a case I would settle or not, that’s not my call. Sometimes it comes down to dollars and cents.”

The officers shot Burgett several times when she advanced toward them with a knife and refused orders to put it down at the Shady Acres mobile home park on Western Road.

The officers were called there for “neighbor trouble” and found Burgett in the middle of the street outside Lot 32 with an open buck knife in her hand and a broken beer bottle at her feet.

Officers repeatedly told her to put the knife down.

They opened fire on her when she got within five feet of them and reared back with the knife, a folding lock-back model with a 2.5-inch-long blade, according to Flint Journal files. She died at the scene.

After reviewing an investigation of the shooting, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said he would not seek charges against the officers, saying their actions were lawful.

“All she had to do was put down the knife,” said Michael Edmunds, the attorney for Officers Miguel Vasquez and Kyle Brandon.

Edmunds said the officers’ union contracts protect them from having to pay settlement costs when the city decides to settle a case.

Shady Acres resident Julie A. Jones, 78, said she never took a position, but remembers the confrontation and the resulting uproar from the community.

“There was a lot, a lot of controversy here,” said Jones, who has lived in the park for 30 years. “There were a lot of people who were incensed about the whole thing.”
Post Sat May 07, 2011 7:03 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Thanks I don't know how I missed that.

BTW I still think they could have disarmed her easily.
Post Sun May 08, 2011 1:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

These were young officers and without extensive training in martial arts. As I noted before even a trained martial arts expert ended up with serious injuries trying to disarm a man with a knife.
Post Mon May 09, 2011 12:13 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: