FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: May 3, 2011 Ballot Proposals - Official Language

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

MAY 3, 2011 ELECTION BALLOT PROPOSALS

CITY OF FLINT

FLINT CITY CHARTER AMENDMENT
CITY JAIL MILLAGE

Shall the Charter of the City of Flint be amended to authorize the City to levy an additional tax on real and personal property in an amount not to exceed two (2) mills for 3 years, from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2014, for the sole purpose of paying for the operation of the city jail? It is estimated that two (2) mills would raise approximately $2,104,000 in the first year.

CITY OF FLINT

FLINT CITY CHARTER AMENDMENT
POLICE SERVICES MILLAGE

Shall the Charter of the City of Flint be amended to authorize the City to levy an additional tax on real and personal property in an amount not to exceed two (2) mills for 6 years, from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2017, for the sole purpose of providing police services? It is estimated that two (2) mills would raise approximately $2,104,000 in the first year.

GENESEE DISTRICT LIBRARY

MILLAGE INCREASE PROPOSAL

Shall the Genesee District Library levy a new additional millage of 0.25 mills (25 cents on each $1,000 of taxable value) on all property subject to taxation in the Library District, for the period from 2011 through 2016 inclusive, (estimated to raise, if levied in full, approximately $2,207,649 in the first year, subject to the tax capture provisions identified below) for the purpose of continuing the same level of public library services as currently provided in the District.

There are local authorities that capture and use for authorized purposes tax increment revenues from property taxes. Such capture would include a portion of the proposed millage levy. The total amount of captured revenues from such millage in the first calendar year of the levy is estimated to be $43,064. The following local authorities in the Library District presently capture a portion of the District's property tax levy: the Downtown Development Authorities of the Cities of Clio, Davison, Fenton, Grand Blanc, Linden, Montrose and Swartz Creek; the Davison Township Downtown Development Authority; the Downtown Development Authorities of the Villages of Lennon, Otter Lake and Otisville; the Local Development Finance Authorities of the Cities of Davison and Fenton; the Vienna Township Business Development Area; and Genesee County's Brownfield Redevelopment and Land Bank Authorities. Other local authorities could be created or permitted to capture portions of the District's property taxes in the future.

Source: http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/clerk/election.htm
http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/clerk/images/pdfs/201105Proposals.pdf
Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:16 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

Does the Flint DDA net some of this money? If so how much will they take?
Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:58 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

They get a percentage of all millages, don't they?
"Police Services Millage": will that include Dawn Jones' pay & benefits among other non police related items?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

If this proposals passes I wouln't bet the store that the money will go towards the opening of the jail as intended. They had a cash cow in the police impound lot but stupidly gave it away. It would have helped immensly. I fully understand the dire straits the city is in but the present leadership has to change/go. The citizen tax payers have been screwed too many times already. Wake up flintstones and smell the coffee for once, Vote NO. The talk in Lansing is that alledgedly Flint and now the Flint school system is on the fast track of being taken over by emergency managers. In fact it has been reported that over 200 men and women are presently in Financial/Emergency Manager training classes for appointments around the state as it pertains to failing schools and cities.
Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:00 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: