FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Smith Village still in limbo
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Seeking answers: Potential Smith Village buyers, Flint administrators, site developer still unsure of move-in dates
Jeremy Allen | jallen42@mlive.com By Jeremy Allen | jallen42@mlive.com MLive.com
on March 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM, updated March 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM Print

FLINT, MI – University of Michigan-Flint retiree Robbie Grier has had most of her apartment packed in boxes since November 2011, waiting on a phone call telling her that she can move into her new Smith Village home.

The problem: Not the city of Flint, nor the current developer – Ginosko Development Co. – nor the potential residents of Smith Village know when a move-in date will be set.

Emergency Financial Manager Ed Kurtz said that the homes should be ready for occupancy by “late spring or early summer.”

Elaine Simpson, a marketing consultant for Ginosko Development Co., said that people should be able to occupy the homes “soon,” and that the company has been “working to overcome challenges.”

The people who have been approved to purchase the homes, though, say they’ve been hearing the same promises from the city and from the developers – three different developers since 2010 – for about 15 months.

Grier, a 68-year-old Flint resident, is one of the many potential buyers who said she has been waiting on the day when the city of Flint and the developers of Flint’s Smith Village housing project can let her know that the house she’s supposed to buy is ready for occupancy.

“My house was built and move-in ready in November of 2011. I have been waiting on it for almost two years. I was told by Metro Housing that I was the first one to take their course and to qualify for the (Smith Village) homes,” Grier said.
“I haven’t been told anything by the city recently, but I’m definitely still waiting on them. They’re always telling me that ‘It’s going to be soon and we’re working on it,’ but my ‘soon’ has yet to come.”

The home that Grier is set to purchase was toured in December 2012 and showcased as a model home for the public during a city press conference that announced Smith Village homes would ready for occupancy before the end of January 2013.

“That date came and went like so many others in the past and I’m still not in my home yet,” Grier said.

The houses, which are financed in part by federal grant money and in part by the city of Flint, are deeded to the Ginosko developer to market and sell, Kurtz said.

“(Development on Smith Village) has started and stopped and started and stopped, and it’s been going on for 16 years. The developer is still under contract to complete the homes. (The city of Flint is) still very actively involved, but we don’t own the properties,” Kurtz said.

“It’s certainly in the city’s best interest to see these homes sold because the proceeds from the sales go back into the city, but there isn’t a hard and fast deadline. We’re shooting to have that whole thing done by late spring, early summer, but in Michigan, with frost laws and things, we can’t even finish paving the roads until spring.”

There are 25 Smith Village homes, 10 of which have been certified with certificates of occupancy, but none of the homes are currently occupied.

Theresa Allen, the primary broker for Smith Village homes, said that there are plenty of qualified buyers for the home, but there is a lot of “red tape” to clear before people can start to move into the homes.

“We do have some qualified buyers that are ready to move in and I’m meeting with four or five other buyers who will be qualified to move in very soon. There’s just been so much red tape. The developer had to take a subdivision over from two previous developers, so there were things he had to get cleared up so he could move forward with his operation,” Allen said.

“We are really close to getting these people into these houses. It’s just been a long, drawn-out process on both ends with the city and the developers, but we do have qualified people.”

Simpson agreed with Allen, saying that the company suffered a lot of setbacks, having to take over and fix problems that originated from the two previous developers.

“There are a lot of hoops that have to get gone through. (Ginosko) had to change some things to overcome from the previous developers,” Simpson said.

“They had to go through and get new permits and there was a lot that had to be re-done from the first developers. That’s all caused problems with the closing process. We are all frustrated and we are all moving as fast as we can.”

She said that there are about 10 move-in-ready homes, coinciding with the 10 certificates of occupancy that they have received.

SMITH VILLAGE DELAYS01.JPG
Alice Evans is frustrated by all the delays at Smith Village. Her house has been packed up since December, when they were told they would be able to move in to the new development. They say they haven't been able to get any answers from the city.
Ryan Garza | MLive.com When asked about why there are qualified buyers and close to 10 move-in-ready homes, Simpson said that sometimes things happen at closings that can delay the process.

“We have not been hiding anything from anybody or keeping information from anyone, but there was a lot of work that needed to be done,” she said.

“We just want to get people in their homes. They’ve been extremely patient and we appreciate that. It’s been a challenge for everyone and I think we’ve overcome most of those challenges.”

Alice Evans is another resident who has been awaiting a move-in date from the city.

Evans, who is blind, said that she feels like the city is constantly giving her the runaround.

“They’ve wasted two years of my life. They always give me expectations and never come through, and this has been going on for two years,” Evans said. “The city of Flint should be embarrassed because they don’t know what they’re doing. I’m sick of hearing this blame stuff.”

Evans said that she was told as recently as the week of March 12 that she would hear about a closing date “within a week or so.”

Grier said that Evans isn’t alone in her disappointment.

“I’m 68 years old and I was looking for the energy efficiency, a new build with certain warranties that are insured, and I love Flint and appreciated that it was new downtown. I am not all that happy with somebody mangling two years of my life,” she said.
Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Those homes cannot be worth what they were originally priced. All property values in this city have declined in the past two years. What kind of consideration or compensation will be given anyone who signed an agreement to purchase two years ago?
Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:42 pm 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

SOME OF YOU MAY RECALL MY SUGGESTIONS AS TO THE CORRECT WAY TO DEVELOPE THIS SUBDIVISION BEFORE KNOW IT ALL WALLING AND BROWN SCREWED IT UP AFTER I LEFT CITY HALL. MOST OF THE SUGGESTIONS ARE TO LATE NOW. MAYBE AFTER YOU GET RID OF THESE TWO GOOD OLD BOY PUPPETS AND GET SOMEONE WHO REPRESENTS US WE CAN START MOVING FOREWARD. THESE HOMES WILL NEVER SELL BY RUNNING TV ADS AND RENTING THEM IS EVEN A BIGGER JOKE. GOOD LUCK ,YOUR GOING TO NEED IT.
Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:41 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I noticed I the news story that Ginosko was trying to blame two previous developers! That is not accurate as Metro Housing was kicked to the curb before any development took place.

The blame fully falls on Walling and his choice for City Administrator, Gregory Eason. It was Eason who went to council and changed developers. Metro foolishly started some planning and design work with the administration's hand-picked architect, Shannon White, the wife of Ridgeway White. Eason and Bade argued that the change was legal as the administration never signed the contract with Metro. Metro had no reason to assume bad-faith on the part of the city as the contract had been approved by both council and the board of Metro. The City paid money to Metro to settle any claims
Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The next part of the story has multiple culpable entities. Eason gives a contract to a newly formed company not completely registered with the State of Michigan. One individual seeks foreign investors and other investors to purchase homes which he then leases. Charles Young of Operation Unification is the second partner and is the President of an improperly organized nonprofit. Both are being sued by the developer selected by Metro Housing because both participated in negotiations with Metro. Also Young was the agent of the original developer and had signed confidentiality documents in conjunction with the project. Neither partner of the new Smith Village Construction had a builder's license initially.

HUD stated the City of Flint did not have to bid for a developer as the NSP funds had to be spent quickly. No one verified the bond requirements, workman comp and other financial requirements for the new company. The City never verified that a builder's license was used when the initial permits were issued and the company the permits were issued to did not even exist yet. All bond documents were in the name of Champion Homes, the company contracted for the modular.

Tia Ewing, then a reporter for Channel 5, reported on the failure of the company to pay local contractors. The companies paid prevailing wage but were denied payment in full during the settlement.

A later story revealed more unpaid contractors and multiple liens on the properties.
Since then there have been news stories of repairs and improper initial construction that required a teardown and a rebuild.

The initial plan did not call for houses facing Williams Street because the street was narrow. The curbs had to be cut and new entrances installed for there to be driveways for the homes that eventually built on Williams. Even now there are several streets that have been decimated by the construction and must be rebuilt completely.
Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The next part of the story should be investigations by the FBI for corruption:

Were kickbacks or bribes paid to Walling administration individuals or to council persons for the contracting of services?

The contractual documents for Smith Village Contracting stated the key development staff would be selected by the city. The city answered Freedom of Information documents by referring the question to the developer. A for profit company has no obligations under FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). So the key players in the development appeared to come from Young's Operation Unification cohorts.

Who is responsible for the failures of the Department of Community and Economic Development to comply with HUD regulations?

A Kevin Smith signed off on the documents assuring no tax liens on the part of the two principals in the Smith Village construction. This was a farce as Young had numerous tax liens in both his name and in the name of Operation Unification.

The other partner owned numerous properties under SE Metro Properties in the Detroit area. How did the city verify the status?
Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Be sure to listen to John Carpenter on 600 AM radio at 10:00 am as he discusses Smith Village. Mike Kilbreath is the host and he discusses all that is relevant to Flint.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mike Kilbreath and Craig Smith discussed Smith Village on Kilbreath's radio show today. Residents would like to know just exactly what the cost of this project is now and what the total will be. It is operating like the old movie "The Money Pit"

The city has announced in the Friday June 14, 2013 Flint Journal (C7) a notice to request the release of $11,561,875 in federal funds to complete infrastructure work in Smith Village. The proposed work was said to include additional paving, sewer, driveways, an site drainage costs plus additional sidewalks on Wood and Root Street as well as Avenues A, B and C. Written comments must be received by the City of Flint's Department of Community and Economic Development by June 30,2013.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Land bank passed out brochures regarding homes for sale and they included an ad for Smith Village. These homes re now down to $45,000.

The construction crew claims there is no more vandalism and there are burglar alarms on every home.

There may be as many as 3 homeowners and there are claims that as many as 9 may be in the process of being approved.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Smith Village is the new Flint MONEY PIT!

The new Flint Annual Action Plan is out and the 30 day comment period has started.

Under housing is:

Smith village Housing rehabilitation $443,698
Smith Village sidewalks $ 56,302
Genesee County land bank $300,000 (weed & trash abatement)*
DCED (neighborhood cleanups $113,000
COMMERCIAL DEMOLITION $449,491

HOME PROGRAM
New Construction Smith Village $653,256

This is in addition to all of the other funding made available to Smith Village.

* remember the literature says they will only mow Flint once. The deadline used to be in September, but now some areas will not be mowed until almost November.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In addition the City must give up $320,000 to repay bad 108 loans made during the Stanley Administration. They are Crawley's Manhattan Place and Giacalone's OK Industries.

Neither loan should have been made.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:55 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

EM Submission: 20i3EM 162
Presented:
Adopted:_07/02/2013__________
By the Emergency Manager
Resolution Authorizing Change Order No. Three to increase the $703,646.04,
CDBG DiPonio Phase II Infrastructure Contract by $343,869.50 in FY 13 Water and
Sewer Funds for Water and Sewer Related Expenses in the Smith Village Project
Area for a Total Contract Amount not to Exceed $1,047,515.54

Resolution No 2012EFM007 adopted by the Emergency Financial Manager on August
16, 2012 authorized Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding of $420,938.46 to
DiPonio Contracting, Inc. for infrastructure improvements on the Smith Village project. In
February 2013, Resolution No. EFMO87 was adopted increasing the original Diponio contract by
$282,707.58 to include infrastructure work formerly covered under a water and sewer fund
contract.
In June 2013 infrastructure items were identified in the Smith Village project area and
funds from the FY13 Water and Sewer accounts were identified to cover such items.
Funds are available for the contract increase from the following accounts:
Water - $ 11,550.00- Expense - 591-536.100-801.000
Sewer -$332.31 9.50- Expense - 590-536.101-801.000
IT IS RESOLVED, that the appropriate City officials are hereby authorized to do all things
necessary to increase the contract amount of the DiPonio infrastructure contract (1 2-093) for
Smith Village by $343,869.50 using FY 13 Water and Sewer funds for a total contract amount
not to exceed $1,047,515.54. Funds available for the contract increase are available as follows:
Water - $ 11,550.00 - Expense - 591-536.100-801.000
Sewer -$332.31 9.50- Expense - 590-536.101-801.000
REFER TO COUNCIL FAIL
DATED: 7/2-/iS
ENACT
icy
RESOLUTION STAFF REVIEW FORM
DATE
July 1,2013
Agenda Item Title:
Resolution Authorizing Change Order No. Three to increase the $703,646.04, CDBG
DiPonio Phase II Infrastructure Contract by $343,869.50 in FY 13 Water and Sewer
Funds for Water and Sewer Related Expenses in the Smith Village Project Area for a
Total Contract Amount not to Exceed $1,047,515.54
Prepared By
The Department of Community and Economic Development
BackgroundlSummary of Proposed Action:
This resolution is being processed to authorize a change order to increase the DiPonio
Smith Village Phase II contract by $343,869.50 using FY13 Water and Sewer Funds.
In June 2013 infrastructure items were identified in the Smith Village project area and
funds from the Water and Sewer accounts have been identified to cover the expenses.
Financial Implications (Analysis):
Budgeted Expenditure: Yes____ No Please explain, if no:
Account#: FY13
Water $ 11,550.00- Expense - 591-536.100-801.000
Sewer $332,319.50- Expense - 590-536.101-801.000
Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Your high water and sewer bills at work!
Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

EM SUBMISSION NO.: 2013EM O95
PRESENTED:
ADOPTED: 06/19/2013
RESOLUTION TO ENTER INTO AN AGREEMENT WITH THE
UPTOWN REDEVELOPMENT CORPORATION IN THE AMOUNT OF $880,000
FOR THE DEMOLITION OF GENESEE TOWERS
BY THE EMERGENCY MANAGER
WHEREAS, The Genesee Towers structure is blighted, hazardous, and dangerous for pedestrians and
current illegal tenants. The cost of demolishing the building is estimated at approximately $2.5 million.

The City of Flint has committed to partial funding of the demolition in the amount of $880,000.
WHEREAS, The City has identified $880,000 in unspent Community Development Block Grant funds
and funds are available in Uncommitted revenue accounts 238-748.101-502.748, 272-748.101-502.748
and 273-748.101-502.748 and the respective Uncommitted expense accounts 238-748.101-700.100, 272-
748.101-700.100 and 273-748.101-700.100; and
WHEREAS, The Department of Community and Economic Development would like to enter into an
agreement with Uptown Redevelopment Corporation in the amount of $880,000 for the demolition of
Genesee Towers.
WHEREAS, the City will not incur any costs, or commit any funds until the City has completed its
environmental review of the project, and HUD has authorized a release of funds; and
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, That City officials are hereby authorized to do all things necessary
to enter into an agreement with the Uptown Redevelopment Corporation in the amount of $880,000 for
the demolition of Genesee Towers and to establish spending authority and revenue recognition in the
following accounts: 238-748.369-805.076 ($280,930.67), 272-748.369-805.076 ($106,514.93), 273-
748.369-805.076 ($492,554.40).
Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:44 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This money could have been used in Smith Village instead of using water and sewer funds. No wonder the north end views this as the right peopling of Flint.
Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: